Is there a way to check for a corrupt preset?

Rich G.

Experienced
Had something happen to me this at a gig this weekend where I believe I have a corrupt preset. I switched to a preset- One I had used for many hours in the past- and the output volume maxed out. I'm surprised I didn't take out the sound system and monitors. It took me all of 100ms to realized what happened so I quickly switched to a different preset.

When we went on break, I muted the channel and switched back & forth to the offending preset and verified it was maxed out. I cycled power on the unit and everything was back to normal levels.

Of course, I was gun shy about using that preset the rest of the night... but I needed it for a few songs. I didn't have any more problems.

Like I mentioned earlier, I have used that preset for many hours- probably around 50 gigs- and haven't had any problems until this weekend. Now I'm wondering if there are any other presets of mine just waiting to blow up.

Is there a diagnostic of something available in the Axe that will do a scan of preset to verify they are not corrupt?

I'm curious about verifying preset integrity too.

I had an issue 2 weeks ago where CPU usage was much higher than I thought it should be, and it turns out there was an active Reverb2 block that did not show up in the AxeEdit screen. When I added this block and then deleted it, the problem cleared. I was thinking there should be some way to look at an XML representation of the patch to see if there are duplicate blocks, etc.

When we went on break, I muted the channel and switched back & forth to the offending preset and verified it was maxed out. I cycled power on the unit and everything was back to normal levels.
Sounds like a modifier or any other MIDI signal that maxed out the preset level. A corrupted preset would behave always the same. Even after a reboot.

IMHO "corrupted preset" only happen when people do very odd stuff with their gear. Like editing from Axe-Edit while surfing the web, while using an external MIDI controller and maybe listening through the Axe-Fx.

It's very similar to the people who "reinstalled the firmware and now everything sounds better". If the firware was "badly" installed the Axe would be a very expensive brick.

Sorry for derailig, but the point is that we use some very complex things and sometimes we could do something that we overlook. I once was panicking at a big gig when suddenly I had no output... Well I just switched guitar and forgot to turn on the wireless transmitter.

Sounds like a modifier or any other MIDI signal that maxed out the preset level. A corrupted preset would behave always the same. Even after a reboot.

That's a good point... I have External 1 linked to several parameters in this preset. Things like Amp Drive, Master Level, and Output Level. Of course, I do not have it set to max out the volume level.

I'm using an Axess FX1 midi controller. When I change a preset it sends out a stream of midi information. Depending upon the order of this info, the AxeFX might not get the info it needs when changing the preset... or it might drop messages. For example, if the Axess sends out a PC, followed by several CC's the AxeFX might process the PC, drop a few CC's, then process the remaining CC's.

Looks like I may have to break out MidiOx to see what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom