Is there a way to change scenes on footswitches 1-4 and use 5-8 as stomp boxes?

Skeedle

Hi all.

I recently got my fx8 Mark II and I've been writing some patches and trying to figure out the best way to configure it for each of my gigs, and I'm having trouble getting it to do what I'd like. Any help is much appreciated.

I'm using it with the three channel Mesa Boogie Mark V, and using relays for some gigs to simplify my setup (no amp footswitch) and to reduce tap dancing for specialty presets with channel changing and multiple effects.

I have footswitch 1-4 set to select scenes:

1- clean amp channel 1 w comp and hall reverb y
2- crunch amp channel 2 w room reverb x
3- crunch amp channel 3 w room reverb x
4- crunch amp channel 3 w a preamp gain boost, delay, and hall reverb y for solos

Footswitches 5-8 are effects I'd like to use as stomp box effects across all scenes.

5- chorus
6- phaser
7- flanger
8- delay

Here's the problem:

Let's say I'm playing a clean part on scene 1. I step on the phaser for the intro of the song.

For the verse, I hit scene 2 for a crunch phaser sound, and the phaser shuts off because I switched scenes. I now have to turn on the phaser again.

Is there a way to make footswitches 5-8 retain their on/off state across scenes 1-4 as I change between them?

Thanks all. I learned so much from this forum during the six months I waited for my invite. This is a very valuable resource. I hope to add some insight once I wrap my brain around this monster...

Yes, your scenes can be configured this way! In the FX8 manual see the Scene Revert section in the Scenes chapter. Sounds like you have the Scene Revert set to ON. Try setting it to OFF.

Here is an extract from the statement (s43)
TO ENABLE/DISABLE SCENE REVERT:
1. Press the SETUP button and press footswitch 2 to load the I/O menu.
2. Turn to the MIDI page.
3. Use the NAV knob to select “SCENE REVERT”.
4. Use the VALUE knob to select “OFF” or “ON”
5. Press the EXIT button 2x to return to the Footswitch page.
(You never not need to STORE changes in SETUP.)

Scene Revert actually is not the solution for the issue in the OP.
Because Scene Revert applies only to the states of the effects when you return to a scene.
Example:
- Scene 1 has Delay off, you push a switch to engage Delay.
- Go to Scene 2.
- Return to scene 1. Scene Revert now determines what happens with the Delay bypass state. It does not say what happens with Delay when going to Scene 2.

Use foot switch mode, not scene mode. In the foot switch page Put pedals on buttons 5-8, and scenes on 1-4 You can do this per preset, or you can globally define some pedals to always be scenes.

But that would still not solve Skeedle's problem, correct? Switching a scene will never copy over a block's bypass state to the switched-to scene, no?

Could be solved by a new mode (selectable as alternative to Scene Revert) that retains states of all Blocks that are assigned to Foot Switches across Scenes. I have added that to the FX8 Wish List, such a mode would be super helpful for me.

Thanks everyone. I tried all of your suggestions prior to posting but they did not solve the issue. Yek is correct that scene revert is not a solution for this particular issue. Thanks polanoid for adding this to the wish list. Did you include a link to this thread?

Back
Top Bottom