Is there a way to automate tempo changes on the Axe Fx III?

To be automated you would need to send the CC from a DAW.
If you want to do it manually, there are different options:
1) With an expression pedal: assign Time to a Pedal Modifier with min at 750ms and max at 600ms. 667ms would be approximately in the middle of the pedal (set the Slope to 0% to emphasize the mid area of the curve)
2) With two pedal switches: assign Time to Source 1 and Source 2 to set the tempos from two external switches
3) Use 3 scenes with these different Time settings.

80 bpm at 1/4 = 750ms
90 bpm at 1/4 = 667ms
100 bpm at 1/4 = 600ms

Last edited:
You can assign different tempos to four channels of the Tempo/Pitch control.

Not sure on how one switches channels on that. I know it can be assigned to a scene so that, for example, Scene 1 uses Control channel A, and Scene 2 uses Control channel B, and Scene 3 uses Control channel A again.

Would be nice if you could just hit it with a channel select, toggle, or increment/decrement like an effects block....
Screen%20Shot%202021-07-29%20at%2010.39.14%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202021-07-29%20at%2010.41.28%20PM.png

Following. I would love to program the tempos of all my band's songs into OnSong and sent the tempo via MIDI when I change songs so I never have to bother with tap tempo again.

I'm trying to get my delay block to go from 100 to 90 to 80bpm while all still being a 1/4 note delay.
By "automate", do you mean you want to control it from your DAW? The AxeFX responds to midi clock, so all you need to do is make sure your DAW is sending the clock to the AxeFX. The tempo on the AxeFX will adjust automatically when it changes in the DAW.

Following. I would love to program the tempos of all my band's songs into OnSong and sent the tempo via MIDI when I change songs so I never have to bother with tap tempo again.
If OnSong can send midi beat clock then you're covered... See the post from @GlennO.

I do something similar with BandHelper... But because the clock is a bit "jittery" I have it use a "count in" where it plays 4 bars of click when I trigger it. Since that is tied to tempo it also sends the beat clock which adjusts the Axe Fx and then stops.

Not sure OnSong can do either, but it's possible...

I know for Axe Fx II you could send sysex to change tempo. I don't think that's been exposed for Axe Fx III.

Edit:

Bad memory. You can send sysex for tempo:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/misc/Axe-Fx III MIDI for 3rd Party Devices.pdf

Assign a Midi CC to tempo and send a bar of Midi CC "clicks", then the Axe will average them all or take the last two clicks to compute the tempo (user option).

I do it this way via average and it's consistently +- 1 bpm, more than close enough for me for time based FX.

As someone said before Midi Beat Click is also supported, but MBC requires more Midi data and DSP/CPU bandwidth. My FM3 is maxed at 80% +- CPU, so that's an issue for me, though not for a AFX III.

Either method works well.

Last edited:
Is there an updste on this, in terms of a way to set the bpm value via footswitch? Id like to have a layout where I just set the preset tempo based on which song is upcoming. I use tap now, but would be cool to set it exactly. Im not going to feed it midi clock just to set tempo values... Ive done a lot of research, it sounds like "no", hoping Im wrong. Thx!

Is there an updste on this, in terms of a way to set the bpm value via footswitch? Id like to have a layout where I just set the preset tempo based on which song is upcoming. I use tap now, but would be cool to set it exactly. Im not going to feed it midi clock just to set tempo values... Ive done a lot of research, it sounds like "no", hoping Im wrong. Thx!

I'm not sure what kind of update you're looking for, but you can just duplicate the preset for each tempo you want. You may want a preset per song anyway.

I'm not sure what kind of update you're looking for, but you can just duplicate the preset for each tempo you want. You may want a preset per song anyway.
Yeah, I know. Its a kitchen sink preset, dont want 6 copies of it. Wondering if anyone found a way to do it from the footswitch (or even a small device) yet.

Yeah, I know. Its a kitchen sink preset, dont want 6 copies of it. Wondering if anyone found a way to do it from the footswitch (or even a small device) yet.
Aside from sysex, no. That's a common wish for setlists. It's hard to imagine a solution that would be more convenient to use at a gig than duplicate presets.

Sysex:
F0 00 01 74 10 14 dd dd cs F7;
where dd dd is the desired tempo as two 7-bit MIDI bytes, LS first.

Last edited:
Aside from sysex, no. That's a common wish for setlists. It's hard to imagine a solution that would be more convenient to use at a gig than duplicate presets.

Sysex:
F0 00 01 74 10 14 dd dd cs F7;
where dd dd is the desired tempo as two 7-bit MIDI bytes, LS first.
Couldnt figure out a way to send sysex from the fc12, Ill dive deeper thx.

You can assign different tempos to four channels of the Tempo/Pitch control.

Not sure on how one switches channels on that. I know it can be assigned to a scene so that, for example, Scene 1 uses Control channel A, and Scene 2 uses Control channel B, and Scene 3 uses Control channel A again.

Would be nice if you could just hit it with a channel select, toggle, or increment/decrement like an effects block....
Screen%20Shot%202021-07-29%20at%2010.39.14%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202021-07-29%20at%2010.41.28%20PM.png
This is possible. I have done some crazy stutter fx by using the control "block". But keep in mind that when you switch scenes after changing the control block, it switches back to the original state. And this does not have the scene ignore function available. There is a wish for that ;)

Couldnt figure out a way to send sysex from the fc12, Ill dive deeper thx.
You cant send sysex from the fc 12. But you could use the fc12 get the axe to send midi to an external device that could feed the axe fx the new tempo. I belive the shortest way is a computer with a daw, or something like gig performer, live professor etc.
To trigger from the fc 12 you would probably need to use a dedicated controll switch to send midi from the axe.
EDIT: or you could attach a midi controller that send sysex if you got one.

You cant send sysex from the fc 12. But you could use the fc12 get the axe to send midi to an external device that could feed the axe fx the new tempo. I belive the shortest way is a computer with a daw, or something like gig performer, live professor etc.
To trigger from the fc 12 you would probably need to use a dedicated controll switch to send midi from the axe.
EDIT: or you could attach a midi controller that send sysex if you got one.
Axe Fx midi out to midi in ;)

Back
Top Bottom