Is there a problem with the SIM1 XT Bypass Function?

zappafranco

Inspired
Does anybody of the SIM1 XT Users here have a problem with the Bypass Function of the SIM1 XT?
My guitar signal looses a lot of volume with the Bypass Function activated. (I am using the Standard Out of the SIM1, not the Balanced Out.)
There is a big difference in sound quality between using the SIM1 XT Bypass and then into the Axe FX 3 versus going directly from the guitar into the Axe FX 3.
Going directly into the Axe sounds much better.

After some further testing I am pretty sure that there is a problem with the SIM1 True Bypass Function and I still wonder if anybody here has encountered the same problem.
Today I have written the following Email to the SIM1 support:
Hi,
as you can see after the SIM1 I got some effect pedals connected, but they are not the reason for the problem I have described.
Because the foto shows a test scenario where the SIM1 is not connected if my guitar signal goes through the effect pedals ( all in bypass mode) and then into the Axe FX 3 or GT-1000 the sound is identical with the sound I get when I plug my guitar directly into the Axe FX 3 or GT-1000. As described before I get in comparison to that a serious loss of sound quality when I connect the SIM1 as the first device in my effect pedal chain while using the the True Bypass Function of the SIM1.

Attachments

• IMG_2108.jpg
    IMG_2108.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
I got the following answer today and replied:
Hi Joachim,
I am afraid that this a tipical side effect of all the true bypass pedals. If you search on the internet you will find that it is normal when using several pedals to get degraded tone in general with less high frequencies.

As you know true bypass means that the input and output are 'wired' connected.
So there is nothing we can do, it is like each pedal is an additional short cable in your chain.
It means that it is like you are using a very long cable and this affects the tone quality.
Please check all the patch cables you are using, make sure they are as short as possible and first quality.

One solution often proposed is to place in the first position a buffered pedal, you can try with a booster for example.
Have you tried to use xt-1 with an empty bank? It is not exactly a buffered pedal but could help to reduce the quality loss in the chain.

Hope this helps,
Please let me know

Federico

Hi Federico,
thank you for your advice. I guess I will have to try to find a solution, but I don't see it yet.
What do you mean with an empty bank? Do you mean an empty preset on the XT-1? You think that really could make a difference?

It just makes me wonder that the XT-1 is the only pedal that degrades the tone. All the other pedals in bypass mode produce an identical tone compared to a direct input.
As far as I can see I am not using a huge amount of pedals and all the cable are good quality and as short as possible.

Best regards
Joachim

Back
Top Bottom