Is there a consensus headphone choice?

I think it depends on what you're playing. I've tried a few different headphones, and mostly settled on the DT880s, MAINLY because I can wear them for longer periods and they are still comfortable. Some headphones kind of smash my ears and hurt after a while.

I think they sounds pretty good for some tones, but I've not found any that handle high gain well.

Would you say the soundstage on the DT880 Pro are large? I have the Sennheiser HD58X and they sound fantastic, but the soundstage is soooo narrow and it drives me crazy for stereo effects
Not sure what you mean.
As far as stereo effects go, Mark Day's factory presets have some of the biggest stereo sounds, and they come across really well.
what correction curve do you use for the DT880?
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...man_over-ear_2018/Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 Ohm

settled on the DT880s.... I can wear them for longer periods and they are still comfortable. Some headphones kind of smash my ears and hurt after a while.
Taking short breaks, I've used mine for several hours at a time. Very comfortable. Something to note: They're semi-open, so you can hear the guitar acoustically at low volumes, which means you'll need to turn them up into slight ear-ringing territory (if you play for too long) when using the Virtual Capo to transpose your guitar.

I was looking for something to buy the other nite and sadly closed my browser down unable to think of anything I actually needed. Looks like I'll order a Blue MixFi to be one of the cool kids.

IMHO, the entire Focal range of cans are near best-in -class and worth checking.... If you got the means , the higher end Clear open-ears are amazing with the III

These are good. Put a 4x12 cab in each side, and go!

1bd5e99ee6a0bb848b00eeceb91c8e0d.jpg

Just getting a smile…

Seriously, everyone is going to give you their brand, but you’re going to have to listen to them to know. Use a dealer where you can return them if you don’t like them, and keep the set you like best.

Does headphone measurement seem dubious?

The acoustics (to myself, a layman) seem fraught with error or at least extreme challenges. I'd love to get a succinct explanation from someone who understands how these specs are attained.

These are good. Put a 4x12 cab in each side, and go!

1bd5e99ee6a0bb848b00eeceb91c8e0d.jpg

Just getting a smile…

Seriously, everyone is going to give you their brand, but you’re going to have to listen to them to know. Use a dealer where you can return them if you don’t like them, and keep the set you like best.
There's a fella who lives on Kong Island who would like these.

I bought Sennheiser HD 660s’s - were better than my AKG K240s, but wasn’t blown away by the difference….kept them due to preferring the cable management….

Three pages in, I think we can answer the original question; no, there is not a consensus about headphones. Personal experimentation is probably best.

Personally, I like the headphones by Blue microphones. They can be nice and loud, they are big sounding, and they are accurate enough that I can trust them to translate.

https://www.bluemic.com/en-us/
This, it’s the same with monitors, FRFR‘s etc. you definitely have to try what fits you best.

Three pages in, I think we can answer the original question; no, there is not a consensus about headphones. Personal experimentation is probably best.

Personally, I like the headphones by Blue microphones. They can be nice and loud, they are big sounding, and they are accurate enough that I can trust them to translate.

https://www.bluemic.com/en-us/
Impossibile to find here in Europe. None of their dealers have them in stock 😭

Back
Top Bottom