Is there a consensus headphone choice?

Dirty145

Inspired
Does anyone use headphones for the mere purpose of dialing in live tones? If so, is there a consensus on the top options for flat response headphones? Was thinking I would go this route if I can get the same results versus buying studio monitors.

It's been discussed a lot, but I wouldn't say there's a consensus.

I use Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250 Ohm with a Global EQ correction curve to better flatten the frequency response of those particular cans, and I can say the presets I like the sound of through them, sound fantastic when run through speakers (w/o the EQ engaged), even though I don't have FRFR. And the factory presets that I like for the style of music I play, either need no tweaking, or very little.

As an example, using the 880's with that EQ curve engaged, when I play the opening notes to Limelight using the Limelight preset, I can't believe how close to the original recording it sounds. So close that I'd say the minor difference is because the guitar I'm using isn't the same. But I still wouldn't be surprised if it needed some adjustments for a live sound.

Keep in mind, any preset you dial in to sound like what you want in your home environment, may very well still need to be adjusted, either at rehearsal, or the venue, due to the other variables, e.g., different dB, playing in a mix, the room, the type & quality of the PA, etc.

As I did wrote in another thread, I highly recommend the Ollo Audio S4X.
They are as flat sounding as possible.
I had Sennheiser HD 650, Beyerdynamic DT 880/770 and 1990 before but the Ollo beats them all.
Every pair of headphones is measured and comes with a Print-out that shows the measurement of your headphone.
They are handmade and you can buy every single part as a spare part.

Cheers
Sash

It’d be good to read …

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Headphones_and_IEM

Sound through headphones can be dull:

"Because there's no string and body reinforcement. When you play through speakers the sound couples into the guitar body and strings. With headphones you don't get this so the sound is very sterile and lifeless. Now, if you use speakers during recording and then playback through headphones it will sound fine."
"It's lack of acoustic reinforcement. I did a test a few years ago and I don't remember the actual numbers but having a speaker aimed at the guitar adds many dBs of power to the lower mids coming out of the guitar. IOW, if you measure the spectrum of the signal coming out of a guitar alone and then compare that to the signal coming out with a cab or monitor in proximity at a reasonable volume there are a LOT more lower mids with the speaker present. This results in a "thin" sound without the speaker." [8]
"The problem with headphones is that there is no acoustic reinforcement of the guitar. There is zero coupling between the speakers (inside the headphones) and the guitar. Without that coupling, which is a type of positive feedback, the sound is lifeless, thin and harsh. When your heroes recorded their guitar parts that weren't using headphones. On "Appetite for Destruction" Slash recorded his guitar parts in the control room. To get even more coupling into the guitar a combo amp was in the control room with him pointed at the guitar. A volume pedal allowed him to adjust the volume of the combo amp so he could control the coupling. With the volume pedal all the way up he could get controlled feedback. I've actually done tests comparing the spectrum out of the guitar when there is no coupling (i.e. monitors turned off) and with typical coupling (monitors loud or using a conventional cab). The boost in the low midrange is significant. I forget the actual numbers but it was at least several dB." [9]
"I did some studies years ago and having a speaker in proximity to the guitar actually changes the final tone considerably. I compared the frequency response with the amp in isolation to the frequency response with the amp in proximity and measured several dB difference in the lows and mids. It was clearly audible when the recordings were played back."
Tips for improving sound quality through headphones:

If I try a preset with the phones at decent volume it does get me in the ballpark. It never really sounds great to me though. Too sterile and dry. Maybe I just need to bump up the reverb and enhancer. Are you guys doing anything to make phones sound bigger? I have the Drop Sennheiser 58x. Also have the ATH-M50s.

I use my Waza Air phones the most. Nowhere close to being accurate but they sound huge. Like you’re playing in a big room. Lot of fun. I get some good tones out of the Wazas themselves but also run the fractal into them. Wouldn’t recommend them for mixing but for late night jamming these are great.

I’ll be checking these suggestions out. My main concern as mentioned is for dialing in live tones and presets. My hope is for accurate translation to FOH.

I’ll be checking these suggestions out. My main concern as mentioned is for dialing in live tones and presets. My hope is for accurate translation to FOH.
The Ollo S4X transferring very well to FOH.
You will hear amazing details. Since I have them I start listening to my favorite albums in a new way.
They gave me a new hearing experience.

DT770PRO , some how things dialled to sound good on this headphone always sound good in a mix or otherwise even for live. Adding a flat ir via sonarworks also helps for an additional reference point.

Though you need to dial the tones for live, live, you will always need some tweaking at the least, headphones or monitors wont cut it.

i prefer the closed because they take out the picking sound and help hear the flaws clearly.

This is precisecly what full-res IRs was for. Just add a couple of fullres IRs and pan them left/right et voila, nice spacious amp in the room sound.

I will check this out. I’m on the 3 but pretty sure it will run full res. So 1 cab block and I can use 2 IRs. Never occurred to me to pan them. The only time I use stereo is with the phones. Pretty sure I have L copying R as well.

This is precisecly what full-res IRs was for. Just add a couple of fullres IRs and pan them left/right et voila, nice spacious amp in the room sound.

Wow man. Not sure if I have any full res IRs just using the stock. But I had L and R summed. So just tried it in stereo 2 different IRs panned left and right. Turned up the room level. Sounds great! I’m very glad you chimed in. Thanks Andrew!

I very much doubt you can dial in live tones through headphones. I believe you have to do that through a PA and together with a band at near stage volume. Get as close as you can to the live situation in order to hear what your audience will hear.

To quote good old Arturo Rosenblueth here:

The best model of a cat, is another cat - especially if its the same cat.

I will check this out. I’m on the 3 but pretty sure it will run full res. So 1 cab block and I can use 2 IRs. Never occurred to me to pan them. The only time I use stereo is with the phones. Pretty sure I have L copying R as well.

The fullres room IRs that come with the Axe (in the MK2 at least) are stereo pairs and have L and R in the names to indicate where to pan them. If it's TOO roomy just lower the levels. I have a Mk2 so run them in the cab block slots 3&4 panned L&R with an ordinary Cab in slot 1 so you can blend the room IRs with the close IR, not sure how it works on a Mk1 though (or if it does at all).

1643361359209.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom