Is there a consensus headphone choice?

I vote for the Monoprice Premium Hi Fi cans. Amazing, and not just for the money. Prior, I used to use AKG K240Ms, which have been in a drawer since the day I switched. No comparison. Best $16 you'll ever spend, aside from Fractal and Belgian beer ;-)

I vote for the Monoprice Premium Hi Fi cans. Amazing, and not just for the money. Prior, I used to use AKG K240Ms, which have been in a drawer since the day I switched. No comparison. Best $16 you'll ever spend, aside from Fractal and Belgian beer ;-)

Belgian beer! Yes. Monoprice cans? Hard to believe but quick looking shows that people like these. Might get a pair for the hell of it. When it comes to cheap, there are a few diamonds in the rough. Like my $300 MII Hamer Jr that is my best sounding guitar. Which I hate to admit but it’s true.

Three pages in, I think we can answer the original question; no, there is not a consensus about headphones. Personal experimentation is probably best.

Personally, I like the headphones by Blue microphones. They can be nice and loud, they are big sounding, and they are accurate enough that I can trust them to translate.

https://www.bluemic.com/en-us/
That's good enough for me, mine come Saturday

I've gotten better results with IEM's, the KZ ZS10 to be more specific. I found the Beyers to be lacking in the mid range, and overly harsh on the highs. Specifically for the higher impedance models, but I tried lower impedance models as well and the results weren't much better. But it's all subjective anyways. I've heard the Sennheisers are more on the flat side than the Beyers. But I'll definitely have to check out the S4X's.

Hey @Cooper Carter thinking about picking up a pair of these. Not feeling my DT 770s anymore. Are the blue mix fi’s still being used by everyone you mentioned?

Also, these are the ones being referenced right?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...4/412&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organicpla
They're great sounding headphones (I have two pair), but they might not be available. From what I could tell, Logictech bought them and finding them, and spare parts, was difficult.

They're great sounding headphones (I have two pair), but they might not be available. From what I could tell, Logictech bought them and finding them, and spare parts, was difficult.

You can buy them on Amazon, Logitech and sweetwater. Just want to make sure I am looking up the exact pair

You can buy them on Amazon, Logitech and sweetwater. Just want to make sure I am looking up the exact pair
I got mine from Amazon. When I ordered them I got one pair, liked them, and checked for replacement parts because people were saying that the cup covering was often bad. I ordered another pair as a spare, got two with various problems and returned them, and finally got a pair on the third try that appear to be good enough.

So, be aware, there might be issues on that side of things.

I got mine from Amazon. When I ordered them I got one pair, liked them, and checked for replacement parts because people were saying that the cup covering was often bad. I ordered another pair as a spare, got two with various problems and returned them, and finally got a pair on the third try that appear to be good enough.

So, be aware, there might be issues on that side of things.
Were there any issues with the sound quality?

Hey @Cooper Carter thinking about picking up a pair of these. Not feeling my DT 770s anymore. Are the blue mix fi’s still being used by everyone you mentioned?

Also, these are the ones being referenced right?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...4/412&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organicpla

I can't in good conscience recommend them anymore. The sound quality is great, but the ear pads just don't last. And they aren't replaceable. They deteriorate rapidly into awful, tiny little bits of "leather" that get everywhere.

That said, maybe they've updated the material? I gave up on my second pair three years ago at this point. If I need to go under headphones, I just use my IEMs at this point.

I can't in good conscience recommend them anymore. The sound quality is great, but the ear pads just don't last. And they aren't replaceable. They deteriorate rapidly into awful, tiny little bits of "leather" that get everywhere.

That said, maybe they've updated the material? I gave up on my second pair three years ago at this point. If I need to go under headphones, I just use my IEMs at this point.
Well damn lmaoo there goes that haha thanks though I appreciate it

Does anyone use headphones for the mere purpose of dialing in live tones? If so, is there a consensus on the top options for flat response headphones? Was thinking I would go this route if I can get the same results versus buying studio monitors.
Can someone talk me through this process? Is it because headphone drivers have such pronounced highs that when you dial them out with headphones, your tone with PA's or guitar cabinets live sounds good?

Amazon carries ear pad covers for headphones that I’ll fall back to if/when the vinyl starts falling off mine. There are several different ones, this is just the one I stuck in my list…

https://a.co/d/h0eKILG

Can someone talk me through this process? Is it because headphone drivers have such pronounced highs that when you dial them out with headphones, your tone with PA's or guitar cabinets live sounds good?
Good quality headphones are like good quality monitors, they’re within +/-3 dB flat within our hearing range, but they’re not totally flat, and, similar to monitors, can benefit from some equalization, at least when you’re adjusting the EQ of your preset. I use EQ blocks I made for my headphones when I’m messing with the equalization of my presets by dropping it into the preset immediately before the Out block, then I tweak the sound, then remove the block and save the preset.

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/headphonecom

I’ve learned to trust my cabs, and know my headphones with the compensation EQ curve will give me a good sound that will transfer nicely to the cabs. The important thing is that the volume has to be about 90 dB with or without headphones or ol’ Fletcher-Munson will get in there and mess up the EQ.

They are replaceable, you need to use a spudger or a credit card to get them off. Just order replacement pads off ebay, I know because I did it. The stock ones are hot garbage though, granted.

The replacement ones have been fine.

Can you link the pads?

The listing has expired for me, but if you just search ebay for "blue mo-fi mofi / sadie / lola / ella earphone earpads" you should get loads of hits.

They come from China but they seem to be decent quality and mine have lasted longer than the originals and not had any flaking off.

1661864986285.png

Back
Top Bottom