Is the USB port on the Axe-FX III 2.0 or 3.0/3.1?

The expansion of the audio/MIDI I/O via USB looks impressive. Has the USB 2.0 connector of the older models been upgraded to 3.0 or 3.1 for this new generation? Thanks in advance for helping me out.

Also, this will be the first time I own a Fractal product. A few years ago I tried a friend's Axe FX II for a few hours, but other than that I'm new to this stuff. When it comes to the 'real deal vs. modeler' discussion, I'm still a strong supporter of real amps, analog outboard etc. I'm not replacing my gear with the Axe-FX III, I'm just adding it to the collection for flexibility. Besides that, I'm planning to use it for session work and weird EDM/guitar crossover experiments. I think this unit will be heard on a lot of future recordings, as well as during live performances. The modeling quality of the Axe-FX III sounds great so far. If anyone is interested, I can post regular updates about my experiences with it from the moment it arrives. I know a lot of people here have been using Fractal gear for a long time now, so maybe the story of someone who just made the jump can be fun to follow :)

Cheers,

GH

The expansion of the audio/MIDI I/O via USB looks impressive. Has the USB 2.0 connector of the older models been upgraded to 3.0 or 3.1 for this new generation? Thanks in advance for helping me out.

Also, this will be the first time I own a Fractal product. A few years ago I tried a friend's Axe FX II for a few hours, but other than that I'm new to this stuff. When it comes to the 'real deal vs. modeler' discussion, I'm still a strong supporter of real amps, analog outboard etc. I'm not replacing my gear with the Axe-FX III, I'm just adding it to the collection for flexibility. Besides that, I'm planning to use it for session work and weird EDM/guitar crossover experiments. I think this unit will be heard on a lot of future recordings, as well as during live performances. The modeling quality of the Axe-FX III sounds great so far. If anyone is interested, I can post regular updates about my experiences with it from the moment it arrives. I know a lot of people here have been using Fractal gear for a long time now, so maybe the story of someone who just made the jump can be fun to follow :)

Cheers,

GH
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/is-the-axe-iii-usb-3-x.135202/

USB 2 on the Axe FX III. Do a search on it, as there has been lots of discussion on this. The designer feels that, for the uses intended, there was no advantage to going with USB 3.

There are many guitarists that use the Axe Fx as an enhancement to their regular amps, so you'll have plenty of company on that. This is one of the great advantages of the Axe Fx units, the flexibility is incredible. Nearly all of the rest of us were dedicated tube/analog people that had a litany of bad experiences with early digital gear. Technology has moved leaps and bounds over the years, and the Axe FX is at the crest of that wave. I still have a wall of tube amps, but they stay home when I am gigging. The Axe FX is that good.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll make sure to do a search next time. I'm not a very experienced forum user, so I sometimes forget about these search functions.

@Rick, I will probably use the Axe-FX for live performances too as soon as I have it. For recording I will probably keep using tube amps most of the time. It depends on what tone I'm going for. If I want to do weird tones with lots of effects, the Axe-FX III will definitely be used :)

Back
Top Bottom