Is the Mk I now a little outdated?

Obsolete or outdated means a lack of full functionality due to the arrival of a new model.
English isn't your first language and that's okay, but according to the English dictionary, the primary meaning of obsolete is no longer in use or no longer useful. The secondary meaning is "of a kind or style no longer current". Outdated, on the other hand, means to make obsolete.

What functionality do you think the MKII has that makes the MKI obsolete?

Do you have MK1?

I could buy an MKII today if I wanted to, but in my case, the MKII doesn't do anything I need the MKI to do, so there's not much reason for me to upgrade.

Last edited:
English obviously isn't your first language and that's okay, but according to the English dictionary, the primary meaning of obsolete is no longer in use or no longer useful. The secondary meaning is "of a kind or style no longer current". Outdated, on the other hand, means to make obsolete.
You're right there. English is not my first language.
For this reason, we may not fully understand each other either :)

You're right there. English is not my first language.
For this reason, we may not fully understand each other either :)
Okay, but if you're going to use English to communicate, it's important to understand the English definition of words you're using to avoid confusion.

Okay, but if you're going to use English to communicate, it's important to understand the English definition of words you're using to avoid confusion.

Ok. Thanks for paying attention.

All known and already mentioned here.
For today:
1. No possibility to store FullRes. If you go to the studio with it, you must have a computer or access to it and files on a USB flash drive.
2. Lower CPU performance and everything associated with it.
3. Smaller memory for presets.

For today:
1. No possibility to store FullRes. If you go to the studio with it, you must have a computer or access to it and files on a USB flash drive.
That list only applies to the Turbo, not the regular MKII. The only difference between the MKI and MKII (ie. not Turbo) is the ability to store FullRes IR's. That's all. Given the standard MKII is being produced and sold by Fractal Audio, it's still current and thus not outdated.

Based on the conversation here, I've come to the conclusion that I am outdated and obsolete... I have to 2 children that are new and improved models... faster, smarter and definitely better looking. They are the latest and greatest, use and understand words like "choogie" and can wear skinny jeans.
So... If you need me, I'll be out in the pasture bemoaning my obsolescence and patiently waiting for all you MK1's to join me.

That list only applies to the Turbo, not the regular MKII. The only difference between the MKI and MKII (ie. not Turbo) is the ability to store FullRes IR's. That's all. Given the standard MKII is being produced and sold by Fractal Audio, it's still current and thus not outdated.
Ok. We have a different view on this matter.
I do not want to cite further arguments that the fact of producing and selling something does not matter (e.g. AppleWatch series 3).
I understand your point of view, although I disagree with it.

Obsolescence / Outdatedness is not really a yes or no question. If anyone really wants to know approximately how obsolete/outdated any piece of gear in good condition is, do the following math:

(1- (current fair mkt value + depreciation unrelated to functionality changes in newer versions) / ((latest purch price of same model - warrenty value) + inflation since model discontinued)) x 100 = % obsolete/outdated

I figure the latest announcements have cost my mk1 a few %age points of obsolescence or a couple hundred loonies at most.

So when does a "no" become a "yes"? 5%?, 15%?,... 100%?, 1%??. The % that flips a "no" to a "yes" may be very low for some, very hi for some - probably on the higher end for most.

So there ya go, question answered - thread complete.

Last edited:
I do not want to cite further arguments that the fact of producing and selling something does not matter (e.g. AppleWatch series 3).
Again, you're using English words (obsolete and outdated) in senses that don't conform to their English definitions, so you don't really have an argument.

Based on the conversation here, I've come to the conclusion that I am outdated and obsolete... I have to 2 children that are new and improved models... faster, smarter and definitely better looking. They are the latest and greatest, use and understand words like "choogie" and can wear skinny jeans.
So... If you need me, I'll be out in the pasture bemoaning my obsolescence and patiently waiting for all you MK1's to join me.
Damn... I'm two versions out. If you need me, I'll be in the pasture located on the far side of @muudrock 's pasture!

What baffles me is that apparently people think that FullRes is the new standard and that you HAVE TO use it or else you will be labeled a caveman.

"MKI outdated, we gotta go back to drawing on cave walls HELP!"

FullRes is nothing but a nice gimmick that can mimic-ed with a reverb block. Maybe I just don't have the bat like hearing where I can count the individual bits in a guitar signal, but it's just as good

FullRes is nothing but a nice gimmick that can mimic-ed with a reverb block. Maybe I just don't have the bat like hearing where I can count the individual bits in a guitar signal, but it's just as good
It's a different thing. While both emulate the interaction of a sound in a space, reverb mimics the effect of a sound reflecting off surfaces while room micing gives the sound of the amp from varying distances. It's not new, and both have been used in recording for ages, including at the same time. Although the intent (putting the sound in an acoustic space) is similar, they aren't the same and can sound distinctly different depending on uses and mix level. If you'd like to hear some of that, check out some demos of the UA Ox Box, which has variable micing, including room spacing and mix level, which makes it easier to hear. To many, it's subtle, but it's one of those things that affect how you feel and perceive the sound as opposed to being dramatically audible.

Applying that to IRs is just one more way of adding to the realism perceived when hearing the sound. If not, reverb would have ended the "amp in the room" conversation right off the bat! If the reverb does all you need, there isn't a thing wrong with that. But it's an incorrect assumption that others won't hear or feel the difference. By the way, I have no Axe to grind. Literally. I've sold my Mk I and haven't replaced it yet. So I'm not defending the FullRes stuff, just saying they might be worth it for some, and not for others. And thet's the beauty of having choices. :)

For today:

But these are all limitations that existed before the turbo or high res was announced, the MK1 did not lose memory or CPU or functionality, it just didn't gain it. I think the iPhone comparison is a great one here - the new iPhone 13 has a new camera but the old iPhone 11 I have has a camera that takes pictures better than anything that was ever in Hollywood 5 years ago, so just because there have been further developments, that doesn't mean your old one stopped working the way it did - it just can't take advantage of the newest stuff all the time.

And everyone with an MK1 or MK2 was perfectly happy with the hardware they had up until this point. Whoever is suggesting they slow innovation to spare the feelings of others is insane, IMO. That's a very scary way of thinking about anything...

And I do understand that CPU usage has increased just with 17, but Cliff and team have already said its fixed in upcoming 17.01, so while currently inconvenient - its understandable. And again, anyone with a MK1 has definitely gotten their money's worth - how many of those Tube amps that you used to use have received free updates over the last 5-10 years?!?!?!?!

Everyone eventually becomes entitled about everything!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom