Is the Mk I now a little outdated?

The original question is "Is there anything it can't/won't be able to do?"

As phrased,, it is a yes or no question. The one and only correct answer is "Yes".
Ah...no.

It can't make me bacon & eggs for breakfast
It can't be used to heat the house
It won't be able to do the ironing
and it won't take the trash out

Perhaps the question should have been better constructed by asking 'what are the differences between all the models of the MkIII'.
Of course then this thread wouldn't need to have been started since the answers lay all over this forum and beyond.

Asking any open ended question is going to invite debate, even if the context in which the question belongs is fully understood.
After all, the internet is here for entertainment and those of us who have time to waste.

Last edited:
The processor is still same 1.25ghz clock speed doesnt make a big difference. and its not better unless someone is always on the 80-90% cpu usage which barely anyone is, barring the bugs this update which are fixed for next update.

Its not a newer faster processor which is very very different like between axe 2/3 .

NVM is used for presets, cabs mainly. Amps , pedals and other fx wont take up space the way full res irs do , they are much lighter from what i understand.

Yes whether we are satisfied when we play with a guitar and plug it in , is all that matters
I think Cliff mentioned that the TURBO unit does contain a newer model of DSP that is 25% faster than the old one.
1633395251866.png

Last edited:
That being said. No, I don't believe MK I is not outdated.

It'd most likely be more than sufficient for many folk's use cases!

However, it's no longer the best or newest Fractal flagship, sorry if that hurts your pride.

FullRez IRs are awesome! Too bad MK I couldn't fully support it. This is the real bummer, IMHO. However, all hope is not lost yet:
1633395206715.png

Last edited:
Reactions: D20
No, I don't believe MK I is not outdated.

It'd most likely be more than sufficient for many folk's use cases!
The only practical difference between the MKI and II is the ability to store FullRes IR's. So, in terms of sufficiency, unless you actually need to store FullRes IR's, the MKI is every bit as sufficient.

It's settle then...who wanna be a rock star, change wife and set of kids every 10-20y or so, become a legend, dick will double it's size, morph physique into Jason Momoa type and have all women start ovulating when passing by, bj's would grow on trees .... then.... get a turbo.

The only practical difference between the MKI and II is the ability to store FullRes IR's. So, in terms of sufficiency, unless you actually need to store FullRes IR's, the MKI is every bit as sufficient.
Don't forget that Mk II has adjustable RGB LEDs that let you set the color and brightness of the front panel logo. :)

I think Cliff mentioned that the TURBO unit does contain a newer model of DSP that is 25% faster than the old one.
View attachment 89634
Yes read my other comments and cliffs other comments, in one of them he clearly stated its a 1.25ghz processor in one of the thread ie. 25% more clock speed is what is stated compared to 1 ghz on mk1 all said by him. ,

It may or may not be 25% more dsp as benefits of higher clockspeed don't scale linearly, and we donot really know how axe uses the extra juice.

New processor chip yes, but it is not a generational difference, like how you have between axe 2 and 3. just a newer variant of the current chip which. has nothing but 25% more clock speed.

However, it's no longer the best or newest Fractal flagship, sorry if that hurts your pride.
No one on this thread called it a flagship per se. All they said , is it is still the same processing, barring more nvm, and marginally marginally more dsp.

Why will anyones pride be hurt even if they have an old device like even the axe 2? tbh Axe 3 is still the flagship generation of devices all running same stuff, . processing same blocks in the same manner, with no difference in any features other than an empty bank. and having to drag drop a couple of full res irs to run on another.

About the bumped up cpu usage on 17.00 its already fixed for 17.01, and uses less cpu than 16.05, full rez is barely 8-10% per ir 20% cpu for a feature like this is no biggie, most people have couple of ulta high reverbs in chain, even on presets with full res irs. and then say i have no cpu.

Last edited:
Hmmm, sorry this isn't true. I can get presets to sound way better on the III. There is no need to upgrade unless you can't live without full res IR's live.
Well... according to Cliff they aren't for live. They are for recording and headphones. There really is no reason for them live that I can tell.

I upgraded and don't need full res.
I put some gear up on Reverb to get the funds together. I'm RMA'ing it in the morning to make the deadline.

Judging by the presets I have been experimenting with, I am going to want the extra CPU. FullRES IRs just aren't optional for me. I have heard them and can't un-hear them. Might as well not fight it. I am just going to be uber-bummed while it is away. I doubt I will touch a guitar until the Turbo is in the rack and loaded up. 😢
The 5 days went pretty fast but UPS isn't updating their shipping very well these days. I boxed and sent mine out and was just making sure it's here by gigtime this weekend.
It's settle then...who wanna be a rock star, change wife and set of kids every 10-20y or so, become a legend, dick will double it's size, morph physique into Jason Momoa type and have all women start ovulating when passing by, bj's would grow on trees .... then.... get a turbo.
Or just buy it because you can 😀

This depends on what your definition of what a 'little outdated' means? For some, a few features missing may consider the Mk1 'outdated'. For others 'The end of firmware updates' may make those feel like the MK1 is outdated. As for myself, I will probably not consider the Mk1 'outdated' unless there would come a time where there is no more USB driver support for the latest Windows/Mac OS. Fractal seems very interested in keeping up USB driver support which I am thankful for in this day and age.

Last edited:
Well... according to Cliff they aren't for live. They are for recording and headphones. There really is no reason for them live that I can tell.

I upgraded and don't need full res.

The 5 days went pretty fast but UPS isn't updating their shipping very well these days. I boxed and sent mine out and was just making sure it's here by gigtime this weekend.

Or just buy it because you can 😀
I second that.
Just for me, I don’t need the Full Res Cab.
I don’t like to play with Headphones and when it comes to recording I would always ad my effects post recording.
That’s meant, recording a dry guitar with full res IR and then add effects after recording.
For my personal usage, I prefer to add a Reverb or other effects than using a Full Res IR.
But that’s great about that, everyone can do what they want.

None of your replies in that thread explain what you think obsolete means. It means no longer in use or no longer useful. The FM9 is new and lacks the power and features of the Axe-Fx III MKI, so obviously the MKI isn't obsolete or outdated.
Obsolete or outdated means a lack of full functionality due to the arrival of a new model. That's all. No unnecessary emotion :)

Ask yourself which iPhone model is outdated for you compared to version 13? 12,11,10,9,8,7,6s? You will install the latest software on each of them. However, they are not all the same.
The guitarsrule explained it perfectly.
To everyone, obsolete or outdated means something different, and I understand it. For me, after the appearance of a new model, equipped with a new faster processor (of the same family, of course) and with more memory, it means that the previous one is outdated.
And that doesn't mean MK1 is bad (how many times have I already written this). He's great.

But still, the answer to the question in the subject line for me is yes.

FM9 is immediately devoid of the illusion of perfection. When we buy it, we know it and we decide to do so. It will be bad to expect from FM9 what the FXIII MK2 Turbo offers. But it is obvious.

Someone has already written it here:
You want maximum power and capability - get the MKII Turbo
You want live music and mobility - choose FM3 or FM9.

Do you have MK1?

Back
Top Bottom