Is the Mk I now a little outdated?

It's already been posted that the mk1 will continue to receive firmware updates. You can still try/use fullres on the mk1 although limited. I can't help but wonder if most of the people worried about fullres have even tried them yet? Fullres is a nice tool for the box but I don't think it's something you will use in every preset.

It's already been posted that the mk1 will continue to receive firmware updates. You can still try/use fullres on the mk1 although limited. I can't help but wonder if most of the people worried about fullres have even tried them yet? Fullres is a nice tool for the box but I don't think it's something you will use in every preset.
its some what ground breaking for the clean reverby players. who have ultra high reverb blocks on each preset . for most of us not so much.

The MKI can use FullRes IR's, thus the only practical difference between the MKI and MKII at this point is that the latter has the ability to save them on the unit itself. That's it. Are you of the opinion that that alone somehow makes the MKI obsolete?
Yes. If there is a new model, or actually two versions, unfortunately the previous one becomes obsolete.
But I repeat: that doesn't mean MK1 is bad or weak. This is perfect. Except that the MK2 Turbo is better, newer and adapted to any changes in the future. You can't say that about MK1, can you?
But most importantly, we are satisfied when we take the guitar in hand. The rest are details :)

Except that the MK2 Turbo is better, newer and adapted to any changes in the future.
The processor is still same 1.25ghz clock speed doesnt make a big difference. and its not better unless someone is always on the 80-90% cpu usage which barely anyone is, barring the bugs this update which are fixed for next update.

Its not a newer faster processor which is very very different like between axe 2/3 .

NVM is used for presets, cabs mainly. Amps , pedals and other fx wont take up space the way full res irs do , they are much lighter from what i understand.

Yes whether we are satisfied when we play with a guitar and plug it in , is all that matters

It’s a dinosaur. Over the hill. Send it to me for immediate disposal. Feel free to include those old Fenders, Marshall’s, Voxes, and whatever other junk like that. All of them have newer models.

We all want the best and newest, me included. But it’ll only be the best and newest for a while, then you just make music with it.

The processor is still same 1.25ghz clock speed doesnt make a big difference. and its not better unless someone is always on the 80-90% cpu usage which barely anyone is, barring the bugs this update which are fixed for next update.

Its not a newer faster processor which is very very different like between axe 2/3 .

NVM is used for presets cabs mainly. Amps , pedals and other fx wont take up space the way full res irs do , they are much lighter from what i understand
I completely agree. Assuming we're talking about the 16.x firmware. After all, both models have so far offered exactly the same. Nobody wondered what the real differences are. Until version 17. We can't help it. It will be 18 in a while.
If there was no need, would the MK2 Turbo version come out? Not. What for?
So far, Cliff's every action has made sense. And here it is too.
Maybe let's not go into details and wait for new products with great curiosity? Because something seems to me that can be very interesting :)

Where do you see these rules at? Or is it something made up?

Cliff himself said the mk1 will continue to receive firmware updates.

:rolleyes:
Seriously, I expect two firmware branches though. Divided into MK1 and MK2.
You're right. MK1 upgrade will be possible for a long time. Just like FM3 or FM9.

F..k me...do u guys hear yourself?...It's not about the Axe FX or real amp or whatever gear..those are just tools to express your creativity and have fun..and honestly...even ultra or Axe2 has moooooooore then you need for a guitar player. You think that your creativity will diminish 'cuz u don't have some extra memory or amps or gazillions of IRs. Gear is not for a dick measuring contest. Yeah...if you afford then from time to time yes... it's nice to upgrade...but honestly...with what axe3 has now, I can still use it for another 20y..that if some hardware won't fail of course.
So stop making stupid treads with stuff like this. Play more and have fun...that's what's all about.

This, this, this and some more of this.

Last week I bought one last guitar, a 7-string, with the idea that “I need all this stuff to write the music I want to write”. Then I sat there in my studio and said “Ok, now what?” I’ve been writing like a maniac for the last several years, but a recent slump has taken some of the wind out of my sails. In the last 3 weeks I bought a PRS SE, a Solar E-Type, the MJT Gilmour replica Strat, an RG7620, the FM9 and a ton of other little toys, all thinking it was going to push me to write more or do something different.

I’ve had 3 weeks of sitting in my studio with barely an ounce of inspiration coming to me. While a new guitar may have me playing differently and coming up with different stuff, if my head isn’t in it, it‘s not going to do a damn thing. Same thing goes for the rest of this gear.

At the end of the day, the only thing preventing someone from creating/writing is their self. If you’re not even writing and just doing the cover thing, Fractal gear has been capable of getting those tones for years now. Unless you’re in a Robert Fripp tribute act, there aren’t many cover gigs where a basic AxeFX II or FM3 can’t cover all the ground needed.

This is really getting on the level of absurdity. It’s like being handed a million dollars out of the blue and saying “Well, that’s cool, but if it were $1.5 million it’d be a lot cooler and I’m not sure I can do anything with this million unless I had that other half.”

Last edited:
Seriously, I expect two firmware branches though. Divided into MK1 and MK2.
You're right. MK1 upgrade will be possible for a long time. Just like FM3 or FM9.

They have never done that though. It's all the same until the older unit cant support new firmware (tech support is still available at that point though).

You keep posting these things as if everyone would expect it to run in a way it never did. Why?

I completely agree. Assuming we're talking about the 16.x firmware. After all, both models have so far offered exactly the same. Nobody wondered what the real differences are. Until version 17. We can't help it. It will be 18 in a while.
If there was no need, would the MK2 Turbo version come out? Not. What for?
So far, Cliff's every action has made sense. And here it is too.
Maybe let's not go into details and wait for new products with great curiosity? Because something seems to me that can be very interesting :)
Quality of life improvements mainly, hardware these days is updated more frequently. Its just providing better options to newer buyers. Because the life cycle of axe fx 3 can be anyway between 5-7 years.

We had axe 2, axe 2 mk2 and axe 2 xl people had the same arguments as you but the product was supported till 2019 even after being launched in 2011.

17 still has same firmware. No branches here. Or bifurcation or even separate download links, one lacks nvm memory thats the only differentiating point

mki is fine for me. I really appreciate the team constantly improving the product but I wouldn't be using the fullres feature anyway for the same reason I have artists track BGVs in the dry vocal booth instead of the big room: I don't want a bunch of printed room reverb sounds stacking up on my layered guitars or BGV tracks. If I want a room sound or reverb sound on my layered guitars or BGVs, I will bus them to a reverb. For live with my IEMs running stereo with a small reverb and the enhancer block at the end get it done for me.

Last edited:
We use the Axe-FX to play with the sound of ancient amplifiers that are outdated (except the FAS models), but we are bitching about gigahertzs, bytes and whistles that do not make any difference on how these archaic amplifiers sound. LOL

Audio was identical though . They had a different screen that needed different code if I remember right.
The point of my response was to refute the statement "You keep posting these things as if everyone would expect it to run in a way it never did. Why?" Axe-Fx II did in fact run that way. I'm not suggesting that the III should, just that there is a history of it.

If I was buying today, I’d get a mkII version

Not selling my mkI, not buying a mkII, but if I was starting from scratch, yes, I’d for sure pay a little extra for the II

Back
Top Bottom