Is the Mk I now a little outdated?

It's easy to get FOMO when you think you bought the flagship device and then it gets replaced by a Mk2/Turbo that is even more powerful while not being a next gen product.

But let's not forget that the Axe-Fx 3 Mk 1 is still pretty much one of the most powerful digital modelers on the market. When it was originally released, I had an Axe-Fx 2 and decided the 3 was just way too expensive and overkill for DSP horsepower I did not need. Which is why I am fine with the FM3 and if I were buying now, would go for the FM9 instead.

F..k me...do u guys hear yourself?...It's not about the Axe FX or real amp or whatever gear..those are just tools to express your creativity and have fun..and honestly...even ultra or Axe2 has moooooooore then you need for a guitar player. You think that your creativity will diminish 'cuz u don't have some extra memory or amps or gazillions of IRs. Gear is not for a dick measuring contest. Yeah...if you afford then from time to time yes... it's nice to upgrade...but honestly...with what axe3 has now, I can still use it for another 20y..that if some hardware won't fail of course.
So stop making stupid treads with stuff like this. Play more and have fun...that's what's all about.
I’m looking into potentially buying used. I didn’t just post this on a whim.

F..k me...do u guys hear yourself?...It's not about the Axe FX or real amp or whatever gear..those are just tools to express your creativity and have fun..and honestly...even ultra or Axe2 has moooooooore then you need for a guitar player. You think that your creativity will diminish 'cuz u don't have some extra memory or amps or gazillions of IRs. Gear is not for a dick measuring contest. Yeah...if you afford then from time to time yes... it's nice to upgrade...but honestly...with what axe3 has now, I can still use it for another 20y..that if some hardware won't fail of course.
So stop making stupid treads with stuff like this. Play more and have fun...that's what's all about.
Amen

And what are FM3 or FM9 users to say? These are more limited. Anyway, they are not fully used by 80% of their users :)
But answering the question: "Is there anything it can’t / won’t be able to do?" = YES.
We now have the AX FX III MK2 Turbo. For MK1, FullRes is the first extension that is not fully supported.
The question should actually be: Is the lack of full FullRes the last extension that MK1 doesn't support?
IMHO probably not. The question is what will be the next step towards improving the sound. And how soon it will happen.

Does MK1 sound bad? Not. That sounds perfect. And certainly no worse than a week ago. And let's be happy about it :)

Well... according to Cliff the full res is for headphones and recording. So its not really needed live though I guess it could be. Full res IMO isnt reason to buy a new unit. 25% more CPU was the winner for me, not full res.

Im pretty sure I want to use the full res on in/out 2 which are my IEMS. I let ya know. I just got word my new Axe has arrived at the UPS place here so Ill be picking it up after 9am.

Last edited:
All fullres is is a short convolution reverb. That's it. It amazes me that so many people are having a fit over that. Maybe they don't really understand that that's literally all the feature is? I don't know. Now the cpu bloat is a real issue and i get that one. If we aren't going to get the feature, it would make sense not to update the cab block. Maybe have separate firmwares at this point? Edit: my bad on the cpu issue. Thanks for the info, Cliff!

Last edited:
All fullres is is a short convolution reverb. That's it. It amazes me that so many people are having a fit over that. Maybe they don't really understand that that's literally all the feature is? I don't know. Now the cpu bloat is a real issue and i get that one. If we aren't going to get the feature, it would make sense not to update the cab block. Maybe have separate firmwares at this point?
The increased CPU usage has nothing to do with FullRes. It's due to fixing this "bug": https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/bug-fixed-scene-switching-bypass-mute-unmute-problems.176815/

The fix required adding code to every block's input processing.

Regardless I have made improvements in CPU usage for 17.01 with it using even less CPU than 16.05.

The hardware is, at least compared to the MkII and now MkII Turbo. I think it's pretty cool though that my MkI will continue getting whatever software updates the newer versions get, at least to the extent the MkI hardware can handle it. For how I use mine, I don't see a need to upgrade any time soon, but it's nice to know we have the option.

The hardware is, at least compared to the MkII and now MkII Turbo.
By that logic, even the standard MKII is outdated compared to the Turbo. The fact that the MKI still receives the same firmware updates as the MKII and Turbo would indicate that the unit isn't outdated. In my opinion, there simply aren't enough differences between the MKI and MKII to consider the former outdated by any stretch. I mean, at this point, the only practical difference between the two is simply the ability to save FullRes IR's on the unit itself. That's it. The idea that that makes the MKI outdated is a ridiculous notion to me.

Last edited:
By that logic, even the standard MKII is outdated compared to the Turbo.
Of course.
The fact that the MKI still receives the same firmware updates as the MKII and Turbo would indicate that the unit isn't outdated.
I disagree here :)
IMH the rise of MK2 itself did not make MK1 "obsolete". It is only the software that does this.
In some time it remains to be seen which of us was right. All MK1 users want you to be right :)

IMH the rise of MK2 itself did not make MK1 "obsolete". It is only the software that does this.
In some time it remains to be seen which of us was right. All MK1 users want you to be right :)
The MKI can use FullRes IR's, thus the only practical difference between the MKI and MKII at this point is that the latter has the ability to save them on the unit itself. That's it. Are you of the opinion that that somehow makes the MKI obsolete?

Last edited:
Of course.

You are going to be the only wrong person here .

mk1,mk2, turbo all will receive same firm ware atleast until axe fx 4 following which, we may receive updates atleast 6-12months more.

The only differentiating factor is non volatile memory. So anything relating to this yes it can be different potentially between the units but unlikely.

Regards to cpu, next update is even lower cpu usage than 16.05 as cliff mentioned above .

drag dropping full res irs once a day doesn't bother most at all, mk1 processes the fullres irs no different than mk2.

That being said i also read cliff may add some full res to factory bank later for mk1.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom