Is the Matrix GT1000FX still the best Solid State guitar power amp in 2023?

The bottom line is that too much power into a speaker is the issue. There happen to be several ways to achieve that undesirable outcome and using an under powered amplifier is only one of those ways.
For instance a lightning strike will do it every time.
:cool:

What makes the Matrix a great amp for this specific situation is a combination of factors. This could change depending on the individual but for me its the following:
  • It is class AB. Has ample transient energy storage and is able to quickly deliver large jumps in signal so chugs feel like they’re supposed to.
  • It has pretty decent flat frequency response in the key range for guitar reproduction.
  • the 1000fx only takes a single rack of space
  • It’s VERY light weight due to the power supply design (I think it’s a borrowed design from those incredible 80’s Carver hifi amps)
  • Even at current used prices, they’re pretty affordable

There may be other amps that check all these boxes or perhaps some of these aren’t super important to you I can only say for sure is that my matrix sounds worlds better than the power section of my boss tube amp expander attenuator.

Hey guys sorry for my question. Grateful if anyone could guide me alittle. I'm expecting to receive a matrix gt1000fx but it's run at 110v while my location runs at 230v. I understand I would need a step up transformer but I'm just clueless what wattage should the transformer be. Grateful if you guys could point me to the right direction. Many thanks!

It should have an internal switch to switch between 120v and 230v power. I’m pretty sure they all have them (mine does). Just switch that and replace the fuse for the correct value.
Thanks much! Let me look out for the switch when I receive the unit tomorrow.

It should have an internal switch to switch between 120v and 230v power. I’m pretty sure they all have them (mine does). Just switch that and replace the fuse for the correct value.
hey man, is the switch inside the unit? i dont see such a switch on the exterior casing of the unit.

Thanks so much @Space Helicopter @Ole ! you guys really save my day from scouting around for a heavy ass transformer! found the switch!
Im so sorry to trouble you all again. Totally new to this. Im using a FM9 and a Mesa 1x12 8ohm 90W cabinet (mono input). Would like to run by you guys if the connections are correct:

• FM9 output into Input A of Matrix GT1000FX (can I ask should be lever switch be set at Stereo, Parallel or Bridge?)
  • Output A of Matrix GRT1000FX into Mesa cabinet

Grateful for your help really guys!

Thanks so much @Space Helicopter @Ole ! you guys really save my day from scouting around for a heavy ass transformer! found the switch!
Im so sorry to trouble you all again. Totally new to this. Im using a FM9 and a Mesa 1x12 8ohm 90W cabinet (mono input). Would like to run by you guys if the connections are correct:

• FM9 output into Input A of Matrix GT1000FX (can I ask should be lever switch be set at Stereo, Parallel or Bridge?)

You might find this useful...... https://www.g66.eu/images/Manuals/matrix/matrix_gt1000fx1u.pdf ........especially page 7.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ole

Somehow I don't get any output from Channel A when connecting to Input A on Matrix and Output A of Matrix to Mesa Cab. However, I do get output from Channel B when connecting to Input B on Matrix and Output B of Matrix to Cab. I'm really hoping that Channel A is defective.

Also, at half volume on Channel B of Matrix, the volume seems softer than when Im at half volume of the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 200 that I have. Both using the same preset.

I had this poweramp (Gt1000FX) my experience is that you have to have the volume very high (on the pots) to get any good signal out of it. Don't no why that is. When i changed to my SD powerstage 170 the volume was instantly there. I think it's due to input sensitivity on the input stage.
Maybe someone else can explain it better...

Somehow I don't get any output from Channel A when connecting to Input A on Matrix and Output A of Matrix to Mesa Cab. However, I do get output from Channel B when connecting to Input B on Matrix and Output B of Matrix to Cab. I'm really hoping that Channel A is defective.

Also, at half volume on Channel B of Matrix, the volume seems softer than when Im at half volume of the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 200 that I have. Both using the same preset.
Change it to stereo mode (on the gt) then you can check if one of the channels is kaput -> input a -> output A / -> input b -> output B

Back
Top Bottom