Is the Matrix GT1000FX Enough?

Is it enough for a loud live metal gig or should I get the 1600? What about the Mesa 290? Connection will be FOH and 4x12 Recto cab.

The GT1000FX is enough to blow up a single 4 x 12 depending on the cabs configuration or resistance (ohms). I have both, use the 1600 to drive 4 marshall cabs (16 ohms each). If I go with a single stack, then I just use the 1000. Plenty loud...:D

Matrix is very very loud but my experience was that it didn't cut through. If there is a second guitarist with a tube head, it becomes laughable... If you have a second guitarist running a standard rig the 2:90 would be advised based on my experience. Others love Matrix but this is what I have found to be the case.

Matrix is very very loud but my experience was that it didn't cut through. If there is a second guitarist with a tube head, it becomes laughable... If you have a second guitarist running a standard rig the 2:90 would be advised based on my experience. Others love Matrix but this is what I have found to be the case.
Would the 1600 cut through? And yes, there is a second guitarist using a Peavey 6505 + amp head and 4x12 cab.

Would the 1600 cut through? And yes, there is a second guitarist using a Peavey 6505 + amp head and 4x12 cab.

In my opinion no. If you have a second guitarist with a 6505+ I would highly suggest you go with tube power or have the Matrix for a trial period so you can see for yourself.

Yes. Don't be fooled by the LED lights, they're not clip lights, just indicator, consult the website so you can see when it clips. I've blown up 2 speakers.

It's plenty loud, and run in bridge mode or add another speaker cab using stereo if you need more volume.

I actually played Glendale Arena once with my Vox amp. I thought cool, I'll be able to turn up really loud. Nope It was quieter than a club. Major disappointment.

Back on topic, my Matrix GT1000 is stinking loud, you will not have a problem hearing yourself, for sure.
+1 Very loud. No problem handling stage volume. I have found over the years lower stage volume = better on stage mix = better performance.

Not my experience at all. Matrix through a 1x12 cab. Louder then I'll ever need and we usually get to play pretty loud. Cuts fine through the other guitarist's tube amp.

Not my experience at all. Matrix through a 1x12 cab. Louder then I'll ever need and we usually get to play pretty loud. Cuts fine through the other guitarist's tube amp.

@Conjuring Gogue - I would suggest you try it for yourself if you get a trial period. I was up against my EVH III into its 4x12 cab and it was laughable. Not the case with my 2:90, it kills!

Even the GT800FX does the job and its loud! The Powerstation is nice much but heavier and takes more room in the rack.

It's enough for Metallica. They do a "loud live metal gig".
kirkrig-jpg.450494

@Conjuring Gogue - I would suggest you try it for yourself if you get a trial period. I was up against my EVH III into its 4x12 cab and it was laughable. Not the case with my 2:90, it kills!
Hate to be that guy, but you must have had gain staging problems with your setup. I cannot fathom struggling against a 100watt 412 with a GT1000. I regularly keep up with a full stack Marshall JVM and an svt 810 with zero problems into a 2x12 Mesa vertical. Hell, I run the matrix for bass with a 810 svt cab which takes FAR more power than a guitar and have zero problems. What speaker cab were you using?

Hate to be that guy, but you must have had gain staging problems with your setup. I cannot fathom struggling against a 100watt 412 with a GT1000. I regularly keep up with a full stack Marshall JVM and an svt 810 with zero problems into a 2x12 Mesa vertical. Hell, I run the matrix for bass with a 810 svt cab which takes FAR more power than a guitar and have zero problems. What speaker cab were you using?

No worries at all man. It was an Orange PPC 412 closed back cab, but I have been through this ad infinitum. Myself and others really want SS to work because we want power amp modeling with no coloration. I really hope that one day it will be there, and for those that are happy with the current state, you are the lucky ones.

It's expected that it would handle bass perfectly, many bass amps are SS and there is no lack of power, that's not the problem.

I have a too lengthy thread on the topic of what I'm looking for here:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/any-chance-of-an-ampfx-in-the-near-future.120123/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom