Is the love waning?

Ive had a few axefx 2s since it was released, each time switching it for something else after about a year. Each time Ive sold my axefx2 for a very good price.
This last one ive had for about a year but since getting an AX8 a few months back it wasnt getting used so I put it up for sale on evil bay.
Mint condition, no issues, over 2000 positive and absolutely no negative feedback, seven day auction.
Only 13 watchers and a final sale of 1200 pounds, just over half its new price. A little disappointing but someone got a bargain.
I was just surprised by the general lack of interest in the axefx2. I sold a load of Roland edrum gear at the same time and that all went well. There was only 1 other axefx2 up for sale and it was for a buy it now of 2000 pounds, so it wasnt due to there being a swathe of them on sale.
Perhaps the desire for the axe is waning?
What do you guys reckon?

It probably has a lot to do with the AX8 being available as well. A lot of people that would be looking for the FAS stuff used are probably going to be looking for a good deal and the AX8 kind of fits the bill for what most people need (apparently including yourself). Could be the economy, plus after the holidays and at the beginning of the year a lot of people are either strapped for cash or just tired of buying stuff for the time being.

You chose to keep your AX8 over the Axe2. I assume it was a better fit for you personally.

While the AX8 will take some sales away from the flagship it also creates more potential Fractal customers overall by providing a lower cost alternative that's gig-ready right out of the box.That means that the desire for a Fractal product in general is increasing rather than waning. In fact, I think there are a number of us that have both. Once you buy a Fractal product you tend to want more than one :).

Ive had a few axefx 2s since it was released, each time switching it for something else after about a year. Each time Ive sold my axefx2 for a very good price.
This last one ive had for about a year but since getting an AX8 a few months back it wasnt getting used so I put it up for sale on evil bay.
Mint condition, no issues, over 2000 positive and absolutely no negative feedback, seven day auction.
Only 13 watchers and a final sale of 1200 pounds, just over half its new price. A little disappointing but someone got a bargain.
I was just surprised by the general lack of interest in the axefx2. I sold a load of Roland edrum gear at the same time and that all went well. There was only 1 other axefx2 up for sale and it was for a buy it now of 2000 pounds, so it wasnt due to there being a swathe of them on sale.
Perhaps the desire for the axe is waning?
What do you guys reckon?

I wouldn't recommend selling it via auction. Set a BIN price with a Best Offer option. I see sellers getting screwed via auction on a regular basis. If you must sell it via auction, set the starting bid at the minimum amount you're comfortable with selling it for. If you check the sold listings for Axe II's, you'll see that prices range from $1600 to $2100 for used units. It's worth noting that units that were sold via auction generally sold for the lowest amounts.

Last edited:
I think its not possible to draw any kind of meaningful statistical inference from a single data point. And that is just regarding the resale value itself, the reasons behind any such trend, if one could even demonstrate one to exist, is likely to be complex.... exchange rates, health of the local economy, time of year, supply relative to demand, and yes, perceived brand value would all come into play, I would think.... And probably a lot of other things I don't even understand not being an economist.

Example for the AX-8:

Reverb, which has way more data than your gut, shows the price trend fairly stable. It had been high initially probably due to limited supply and quickly dropped and found a (Reasonable, IMHO) support point. In fact it has seen a slight uptick in February (my guess? US folks spending their tax returns):

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/24107

Reverb Estimated Price Range
  • $1,090 — $1,380
On the data page, there is not a single one that sold below $1000 in Feb.

For the Axe-Fx II XL which is more mature the curve is definitely more wild probably due to fluctuating supply... :

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/18822

But Fewer Sell.

• $2,000 — $2,300

The MkI/II Sells much more often and is according lower and its price is much more stable again, likely because there is a fair supply:

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/12496

• $1,480 — $1,925

All of this strikes me as pretty solid. Especially for units that have been on the market for a long time. It is pretty easy to shoot yourself in the foot on an eBay auction as a seller. High starting bid, bad auction end time or date, subject line did not get hits, people looking on different markets for higher priced gear, bad picture, too high a reserve, crazy shipping cost, etc, so any of that could come into play on a single eBay sale, too.

Last edited:
They are stilling making the XL+, an improved version of the II, and they also have the AX8 and FX8. Its supply and demand. The supply of new units is still there, and the supply of used units from folks that maybe sold their II and got an XL+ or maybe an AX8 is only flooding the market as well. As a result, the demand and prices paid for used units goes down.

When there was a 3 month wait list, folks might pay close to if not more than retail to "get it now"

Now days, when you can just go buy a new one for $300 more, who's going to pay 90% of retail for a used unit ? Especially when there are 4 other people with them listed for sale. Its a buyers market.

Heck, when I list stuff for sale, I just want to get it sold and done with, so I find out what everyone else is charging and charge $100 less, just to move it ASAP. Want to get top dollar for a used item ? Be prepared to wait and hope maybe yours is listed when there are no others up for grabs.

Trying to get say $1750 when a guy like me comes along and list his for $1600 means yours probably isn't selling that day LOL

There are other factors that dictate how much you can ultimately sale something for. Did you take quality pictures? What's your feedback rating and how much feedback do you have? What's the competition charging?

You also have to factor in Line6's Helix as a competing product which is likely to affect demand.

I never lost money on an Axe-FX but I keep my stuff nice and I do "buy it Now" auctions - with a price I feel good about

Everything is cyclical too. If you would have been patient, you probably would have re-coup'd more of your investment.

Matt's right. I haven't been on Ebay in years...I just don't trust it for large purchases, I don't care how many positive's you have. IMO, YMMV. That, and the obscene amount of fees they charge these days for a bit of software to spin up your listing.

Just put a fair buy it now price and wait. Don't do auctions...and certainly don't do an auction and regret the number you got on it.

And ebay doesn't have to care on bit. They get theirs, and that's all that matters to them.

Always be looking out for #1. If someone can get a deal, they'll take it.

I wouldn't recommend selling it via auction. Set a BIN price with a Best Offer option. I see sellers getting screwed via auction on a regular basis. If you must sell it via auction, set the starting bid at the minimum amount you're comfortable with selling it for. If you check the sold listings for Axe II's, you'll see that prices range from $1600 to $2100 for used units. It's worth noting that units that were sold via auction generally sold for the lowest amounts.

I find that online auctions in general are waning. No one trusts sellers. Sites often side with scammers in a dispute. Too much burn.
I've bought too many guitars/gear from ebay and my experience is that at least 50% of the items were misrepresented to make them sale. Also if you do have problems and file a claim, you get your $$$ back but it stays tied up a month before you do! I still use ebay but not so much for high value used items.

I find that online auctions in general are waning. No one trusts sellers. Sites often side with scammers in a dispute. Too much burn.

Exactly why I don't do it anymore.
They take a huge cut too (eBay Paypal ) then don't pay their taxes in the country they do business in. Horrible company. I've been ripped of many times. The only people on eBay are after something for nothing and normally that's so they can make a profit on t themselves.
This guy who bought the Axe fx in question may well play guitar but he'll get £ signs in time and no doubt turn a profit on it.

I never ever did an auction. It seemed like too much hassle as a buyer so I never did it as a seller. Having to hang on till the auction closes to suddenly put in all your bids while you might be at work or out somewhere. No, here is the product, here is the price, buy it if you want it otherwise it's going to sit there for as long as it takes.

For me, personally, all I have to do to remind me why I have the AxeFX II is fire up any of my previous gear. Line6, DigiTech, Roland, etc...

One listen is all I need to know I'm sticking with Fractal and my AfxII MkII. No need to sell it in favor of anything else currently available.

Does it frustrate me sometimes? Sure. Do I miss the simplicity of Line6 stuff sometimes? Yup. In the end however, the depth of control and the resulting tones make it all worthwhile.

YMMV. Good luck with your quandary.

Back
Top Bottom