Is the II Leaps and Bounds Beyond the Standard?

Thanks to BORNintoMUSIC for reamping these clips with the Axe-Fx II. It's a PRS Custom 24 in the Fender and Marshall clips, first neck pickup split coil and then a full humbucker, I don't know what guitar they used in that Killswitch Engage song. The Recto thing isn't straight up comparable since it's the Recto New model in the Ultra and Recto Orange Modern in the Axe-Fx II so it might sound different because of that. All samples are going through the same IR I provided so this should simply showcase the difference of the amp simulation. I feel like the Marshall and Fender clips were driven a bit louder through the Axe-II and maybe vice versa on the KsE reamp.

What do you guys think? I forgot about noise gate so it cuts the Ultra signal as you might notice. :(

I'll just say this, I don't hear leaps and bounds difference.

Yeah, it's a difficult situation. It can most likely be scientifically proven that the Axe-II quality is superior but now that we're listening to MP3 joint quality (which sadly enough is the way most people listen to music) there isn't "that" much to separate them. The Rectifier thing is a bit uncomparable since it's not the same amp sim, but I honestly can't tell the difference between the Fender clips and the Marshall sounds the same except more gain on the Axe-II... now those are "guitar only" tracks. Think about the difference you'll hear in a mix. Sure if I listen to it loud I at least think I hear a difference (not sure if it's psychological) but I can't say which one is better than the other.

I guess it all falls down to play feel and overall playability. And Cliff can sleep his nights calmly knowing that GEN1 was also awesome. :)

Yeah, it's really hard to tell with these comparisons but I know once I play through a II, I'll notice or feel a difference. Thanks for taking the time to do this Clark!

I've never played the Ultra or STD but with Axe Fx II most factory presets are great sounding. I haven't had tweak much at all once I obtained the right gear to accompany the Axe.
Probably worth changing out for II.

Back
Top Bottom