Is the FM3 user friendly?

bgrizzmayne

Inspired
Hey guys-

I owned an Axe FX II and didn’t bond with it. As much as I respect the level of tweak ability, it overwhelmed me and it seemed almost too easy to make it sound bad.

I determined I was a straight forward amphead and bought a Suhr PT-15 to simplify my rig. I miss the options, but I also don’t.

With that said- is the FM3 the same learning curve? I’ve been considering a line 6 HXFX to pair with my amp. But the FM3 would give me some amp modeling should I ever want it, and be usable as an effects unit. Is it at all simpler to use than other units?

no disrespect intended- respect the FAS stuff! I sometimes need to limit my options so I can focus on playing, but like having effects easily available.

There's a learning curve, but you've already been through most of it with your Axe-Fx II.

The FM3 is more user-friendly than the Axe II. But with all that it's capable of, it can never be as user-friendly as an amp and a few pedals. Is it friendly enough that you'll be comfortable with it? There's no way I can give you a meaningful answer to that question. But I think you'll like what's happened to the amp modeling. :) That might just get you over the hump.

I find it extremely user friendly - for no good reason I find editing on it much easier than the III, strange and could be down to something as simple as viewing angle.

And Axe-Edit (in all it's iterations) is pretty much a lesson in how to design these things

The FM3 was my first Fractal product, I was making my own presets within 30 minutes of opening the box.

It sounds great out of the box with most all the amp models so easy solution is just play it and enjoy, dont need to mess with stuff just because it’s there.

The straight answer is yes, Its the same as the II,

The UI is new, but otherwise same options mostly, same workflow for creation and tweaking, same design in the way its laid out.

Hey guys-

I owned an Axe FX II and didn’t bond with it. As much as I respect the level of tweak ability, it overwhelmed me and it seemed almost too easy to make it sound bad.

I determined I was a straight forward amphead and bought a Suhr PT-15 to simplify my rig. I miss the options, but I also don’t.

With that said- is the FM3 the same learning curve? I’ve been considering a line 6 HXFX to pair with my amp. But the FM3 would give me some amp modeling should I ever want it, and be usable as an effects unit. Is it at all simpler to use than other units?

no disrespect intended- respect the FAS stuff! I sometimes need to limit my options so I can focus on playing, but like having effects easily available.
Watch a few Leon Todd videos on Youtube and check it out yourself. He walks through some patch creation and it's pretty straightforward. Here's a quick video regarding a 4 block rig for rock:

Or here's one going over the Friedman models (an amp that needs little tweaking from the get go):

it's plug and play. you can go as deep as you want or spin through the presets within 1 minute of turning it on.

First fractal product. I found it very intuitive and don’t understand the complaints I read sometimes about the user interface. Of course you need some time familiarizing because is a very deep unit, but it is well thought.

Back
Top Bottom