Is the FM3 reliable to you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No worries. I never take offense when asked to verify my credentials.

I understand your skepticism. My online presence (http://www.johnhendow.com) is focused on technology and management, more so than on music. I teach and record using my business name rather than my own personal name. For the first several years on this forum, I used "Sleestak" as my alias, and only decided to add my actual name for transparency because I am also a Fractal Audio Systems facebook page admin.

I play in three bands:

http://bowievision.com
http://1uppers.com
http://www.dudleymanlove.com

Before the pandemic shut us down, I was playing about ten shows a month with these bands. Like everyone else, I've been quarantined at home for a year. I use the AxeFX III for BowieVision, and the FM3 for the other two bands. I also did a number of (sometimes international) fly dates as a solo musician, and those were FM3 gigs. But we can leave those out.

Just looking at the pre-pandemic year: 10 shows a month x 1 year = 120 shows. Let's assume 1/3 of those were AxeFX III gigs, which leaves us with 80. Even if my math is off by 50%, that still over 50 shows.

I'm not famous, but I play regularly. I haven't had problems with any of the Fractal gear. That isn't to say that it's impossible for that to occur. My assertion is that I've taken my equipment for some adventures and it hasn't ever failed me :)

I would be interested in hearing from people who have experienced reliability concerns; not to dispute those reports, I really want to know and understand. I have obviously had the AxeFX III for a longer time than the FM3. My assumption is that the same level of rigor and testing is applicable to all Fractal products, but again, it's certainly possible for any piece of equipment to fail. One of my guitars is positively cursed, and seems to find new ways to fail almost every week. I leave it at home now. Great guitar, but apparently gremlin-infested.
Much more than I was interested in, but thanks 😊.

I still have reservations due to the seemingly large number of users that have freeze-up issues...myself included.

I have at least 50 FM3 gigs so far. Zero problems. Based on my experience touring internationally with Fractal gear, I have nothing to report in terms of concerns. I carried a backup rig (Line6 M9) for about two years in a briefcase, but eventually sold it. I'm just a regular touring musician, but my FAS gear has been 100% reliable, and I haven't had a problem.
Good for you man , I had the ax8 I toured with it for a full month plus I used to gig regularly twice a week never had and an issue but I’m on a second fm3 . Can’t afford to have it fail on me in the middle of a gig

Don't play out much since covid, but I've fired up my fm3 many times and never once had it fail or freeze and I've been in since the very beginning.

Have a no headphone jack model.

No gigs or rehearsals for the last while so no idea. I turn it on, it works and sounds great every day.
Hopefully we can start to rehearse again soon. If it fails at a gig, I have a great backup so all good.

I did a google search of your name and came up with just the Fractal stuff. There's a website I found, but doesn't load (at least not here in EU. For an internationally touring musician I would think I could find something on you...not questioning what you said, but just the facts that came up. 50 gigs during a pandemic (because the FM3 seems to have been out through this entire pandemic thing), is quite a feat and more than most on this forum. I have many friends in the US (and most actually own Fractal gear) and haven't played that many gigs since 2019, and a few tour throughout the US and EU, even now...even they say they would be concerned with using the FM3 live, and would use their Axe III's instead.
The only time my band wasn't playing was about 6 months of last year. We started playing again in July/August of 2020 and have been ever since. We have 4 or 5 shows this month.

Much more than I was interested in, but thanks 😊.

I still have reservations due to the seemingly large number of users that have freeze-up issues...myself included.
Well there's lots of options out there. Good luck.

How many users with freeze-up issues have you seen?
Excellent question....
IMHO, if you play out regularly for $$$, you need a backup be it for your amp or a modeler.
Doesn't need to be as costly. Just needs to get you thru the gig.
iirc most folks here do that.
Hence the many threads about back up units, etc, etc. Most pick a cheaper, but sufficient product.
I also believe the majority of the issues were in the beginning of the FM3. Not saying it doesn't happen, as with everything, it does.
But much rarer these days. I am a good example of that. Had 2 issues early on. Haven't had ANY issues for a long time now.................

**I understand asking the question, I guess.
But your asking the question on the forum of the people who PLAY OUT with the fractal products.
So isn't the question kind of , a , answered already? IOW, Just sayin!

Excellent question....
IMHO, if you play out regularly for $$$, you need a backup be it for your amp or a modeler.
Doesn't need to be as costly. Just needs to get you thru the gig.
iirc most folks here do that.
Hence the many threads about back up units, etc, etc. Most pick a cheaper, but sufficient product.
I also believe the majority of the issues were in the beginning of the FM3. Not saying it doesn't happen, as with everything, it does.
But much rarer these days. I am a good example of that. Had 2 issues early on. Haven't had ANY issues for a long time now.................

**I understand asking the question, I guess.
But your asking the question on the forum of the people who PLAY OUT with the fractal products.
So isn't the question kind of , a , answered already? IOW, Just sayin!
My question was a response to the statement about "the seemingly large number of users that have freeze-up issues." As crappy as it is to have that happen to you, the number of people who have reported freeze-up issues is pretty small.

Well there's lots of options out there. Good luck.
Typical fan bois response when it doesn't fit your narrative. Don't be condescending. I have purchased every variation of Fractal products, and have had issues, most resolved by FW updates, but this is one that is a true tale of caution. In my line of work, three of an issue is a trend, and trends should be addressed before anything else.

Typical fan bois response when it doesn't fit your narrative. Don't be condescending. I have purchased every variation of Fractal products, and have had issues, most resolved by FW updates, but this is one that is a true tale of caution. In my line of work, three of an issue is a trend, and trends should be addressed before anything else.
Awe, so nice of you to fire shots because one suggests exploring other options. Don't be salty. How you read text is in the eye of the beholder.

Get your FM3 fixed if it's freezing. In the meantime since you own every variation of Fractal products, I'll say it again, you have a lot of options.

Awe, so nice of you to fire shots because one suggests exploring other options. Don't be salty. How you read text is in the eye of the beholder.

Get your FM3 fixed if it's freezing. In the meantime since you own every variation of Fractal products, I'll say it again, you have a lot of options.
Again...typical. There are key words that I used, which you fail to understand/comprehend. Maybe? You're quite a jerk, I'll say that much. Hopefully there's a block feature on here. Be well.

The thing about product related forums I have found over the years is that they are often the place people go to ask questions or complain when they have problems. Simple statistics would suggest that the percentage of posts about problems on a forum may not be a good representation of what percentage of units actually have problems. The people who don’t have problems won’t be posting. If Fractal sell a ton of these things I expect a lot more posts about problems because, well, we all know that manufacturers expect a certain percentage to have problems.

As much as I love this pedal and want continue on falling in love with it , it is scary to rely on it in a live situation . let me explain this is my second unit , the first One started running really loud then would not connect to the computer no matter what I sent it to FAS and they replaced it with a new one . Since I got it I barely connected as I was not playing music . I only made sure this one didn’t have the same problem . Now i am about to join a band I thought I’d set it up for live performance. All of a sudden this thing would have a white screen if connected to my Mac when I turn It off Even if it is off once I connect the usb to it you see it sort of flickering with that white screen started whilstIng ... loud fan noise like overload computer . now I really don’t have the time to keep on paying to send the unit back to Fas and now i am definitely not sure I will ever get one that is solid enough .
Not a single issue here playing live or at home. The unit stays on for 6-8 hrs at a time. Rock solid. Sorry for your hassles.

I had some freeze or hang up issues which got really bad after I installed 3.02 beta! Opened up a ticket and FAS worked the problem and provided a fix! I don't gig out much anymore but if I did I would have a back up for sure.

Still thinking about picking up a used Firebox or Iridium just to have it laying around for that just incase.

Since my FM3 does freezes up regularly (a couple of times a week using it about 3 hours a day), is it a harware problem and should be returned, or is it something that can be fixed with an update.

Since my FM3 does freezes up regularly (a couple of times a week using it about 3 hours a day), is it a harware problem and should be returned, or is it something that can be fixed with an update.
Have you tried reaching out to Fractal Audio support? They would be better equipped to answer that question for you. I have found the technical support email to be very responsive to any questions I have asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom