Is the FAS AX8 best option for me, or is it the FAS AXEIII?

Hi guys!

I'll try to keep this as short as possible: i'm wondering if the AX8 is the best bet for me in my own personal situation, which is the following:

My guitar playing happens at home mostly. I've never been happy or satisfied with the tones I was getting with numerous pieces of gear (free and paid VSTs, an old POD HD500 I had, Yamaha THR10, Roland Cube 20XL, etc) I had owned for home playing. The closest thing I was to "satisfied" was recently, when I started messing around with Helix Native. Finally I was able to create patches that sounded more or less okay and made me play more!

While I'm not a purist or anything like that, I'm very pragmatic. I like things that work. I ended up selling my old POD because I spent more time tweaking than playing. While this is what I have seen, the main selling point for some people of the Kemper, I'm not really looking forward to pay for profiled amps, I rather pay for something and stick with it for a long while with not a lot of investment on it. I'd love to know if the AX8 (or the AXE III) would give me that satisfaction, of dialing a tone in 10 mins and be happy with it. I do have a tube amp (Laney GH50L) that I use for my band practice. I'm not against the idea of ditching it and go with a FAS product + power amp if I see it fit.

My main gripe is one: obsolescence. The AX8 has no more future upgrades as far as I know, while the AX3 has been updated quite a few times. I'm also worried that FAS will drop a new and upgraded version of the AX8 anytime soon (i'm not considering the FM3 as an upgraded version of the AX8 mainly because it doesn't have the same functionality), but I guess that's a part of technology, you can't wait forever.

While I have plenty of space for an AXE3, that would mean I'd have to purchase a floor controller down the line, while with the AX8 is an (almost) all in one pack. And let's be honest: I don't need all the DSP power the Axe 3 has (almost nobody needs it). My patches would consist of one amp + one cab + effects, same for bass.

Between both products: I'm leaning more towards the AX8 for numerous reasons, being mostly the format, the price and the limitation it has. I like limitations, and I think that with the current horsepower that the AX8 has, I'd be more than pleased with the patches I'd use, since I don't play really heavy/intense effect wise music. The AX8 can work as a pedalboard, so I could sell the few pedals I own (nothing really special, I'm very basic with my pedals)

Being this my first jump into the world of modern digital processing (not counting the HD500 I had since I was very young when I bought it and ditched it a month after the second hand purchase) what would be the best bet for me? Should I wait? Is the AX8 obsolete, or it will be obsolete in the near future?

I know I'm asking really relative questions, but I rather have the opinion of people well versed in these products.

PS: Since I'm posting this in the FAS forum, I guess it's implied that I'm not interested in other offerings from other brands. Thats true to a certain degree:
  1. While Kemper is a great piece of gear, I'm more interested in my "own sounds" rather than downloading other amps.
  2. While I'm liking Helix Native so far, I'm still skeptical about Line 6 due to previous experiences. The Helix Floor is the best bet for me, but the block limitations (I know the 8 block thing is coming) is really off putting, since I want to have an all in one solution.
  3. The Neural DSP offering is, right now, in beta, and its price point will be way too expensive.

Thank you and sorry for the huge text! :D

i'm not considering the FM3 as an upgraded version of the AX8 mainly because it doesn't have the same functionality
Please elaborate. I'm sure you will get many answers that explain how you may be wrong.

Except for the number of built-in switches, I would say you're just wrong ;)

The 3 FM3 switches are more flexible than the AX8, although that might not be obvious. Of course, it's not the same, but it can still be very powerful.

Please elaborate. I'm sure you will get many answers that explain how you may be wrong.

Except for the number of built-in switches, I would say you're just wrong ;)

The 3 FM3 switches are more flexible than the AX8, although that might not be obvious. Of course, it's not the same, but it can still be very powerful.

Mostly due to the limitations it has. If the FM3 is the "successor" of the AX8, how come it has still more or less the same limitations as the AX8? Also, 3 switches is not enough for me.

I'd consider the FM3 as a successor if it allowed, for example, using dual amps or dual cabs like the FX3.

Thanks for your message though!

Last edited:
Just saying the FM3 has more buttons than the III.

But that said, if you have the space and can afford it - clearly the III since it is the flagship

Moar is bettah! If you can afford it that is. And the big controller of course.

If you can afford it is also relative to where you live as its considerably cheaper in the US and Canada.

Moar is bettah! If you can afford it that is. And the big controller of course.

If you can afford it is also relative to where you live as its considerably cheaper in the US and Canada.

I live in Spain, so it's much more expensive for us unfortunately...

Mostly due to the limitations it has. If the FM3 is the "successor" of the AX8, how come it has still more or less the same limitations as the AX8? Also, 3 switches is not enough for me.

I'd consider the FM3 as a successor if it allowed, for example, using dual amps or dual cabs like the FX3.

Thanks for your message though!
But it's supported, it's getting FW updates, the modeling is vastly improved, many of the blocks have had major overhauls, has a headphone jack, has a built-in audio interface, the list goes on.

There are many ways to use those 3 switches that are not possible on the AX8.

There are a number of options for having additional switches.

Many other people have also said "3 switches is not enough" only to discover that it can be enough.

Anyway, I'm an Axe Fx III owner now and I have no regrets... My comments are really that if you are considering the AX8 then you should consider the FM3.

But it's supported, it's getting FW updates, the modeling is vastly improved, many of the blocks have had major overhauls, has a headphone jack, has a built-in audio interface, the list goes on.

There are many ways to use those 3 switches that are not possible on the AX8.

There are a number of options for having additional switches.

Many other people have also said "3 switches is not enough" only to discover that it can be enough.

Anyway, I'm an Axe Fx III owner now and I have no regrets... My comments are really that if you are considering the AX8 then you should consider the FM3.

I'll continue doing my research then but I'm afraid I haven't seen enough reviews to decide yet! The form factor is really appealing though.

I have the AX8 now and really enjoy my tones on it. From what I’ve read people who have upgraded to the FM3 are more impressed with it than the AX8. What I have noticed is there is little discussion here now with the AX3 and FM3 and I am feeling abandoned. I am not sure what the value of the AX3 will be after everyone gets their FM3. I am on the waiting list for the FM3 but will enjoy my AX8 until my name comes up. Yoh can’t lose with any Fractal product. I’ve been on the same road as you do I can appreciate your dilemma

I have the AX8 now and really enjoy my tones on it. From what I’ve read people who have upgraded to the FM3 are more impressed with it than the AX8. What I have noticed is there is little discussion here now with the AX3 and FM3 and I am feeling abandoned. I am not sure what the value of the AX3 will be after everyone gets their FM3. I am on the waiting list for the FM3 but will enjoy my AX8 until my name comes up. Yoh can’t lose with any Fractal product. I’ve been on the same road as you do I can appreciate your dilemma

Can you tell me more or less how your experience with the AX8 has been since you bought it?

If you're 'at home' or in the studio- a footswitch is not as important as you think it is-- I'd get an Axefx3

And to me- I'd rather have all the sounds and all the power than size/control. And keep in mind- a $50-250 midi controller could work fine with any of the units- I got an FM12, and glad I did- it's nice, it's easy- but if I had to save money somewhere I would get the best unit without a controller or deal with that when needed. Knobs and Axe Edit goes far.

Back
Top Bottom