Is The Edge going with Axe FX for the new tour?

DieHon

Maybe the guys from Fractal have some info for us U2 fans!

Today is the tour premiere and the setup seems to be really simple, just the traditional AC30 and a Fender (maybe his sig?).

C_rmZN0XkAAeCIv_zpskut9pwgc.jpeg

Are those amps even mic'd up?

I thought he was Fractal with some additional audio loops for stuff the Axe doesn't do, like the Korg A3.

Are those amps even mic'd up?

I thought he was Fractal with some additional audio loops for stuff the Axe doesn't do, like the Korg A3.

Actually not, the A3 wasn't there in the last tour. But you raised a fair question about the mics. I just checked and the amps seems to be not mic'ed:

C_rtSPpWsAAFuC1_zps8uxqevmu.jpeg

C_rrbHZXgAAefE0_zpshlregc7k.jpeg

Maybe he is going all Axe for PA.

Any news for us @edo ?

Yea the new way seems to be little or no amps on stage. Just saw bad company and they had a silk screen of Marshall and Ampeg amps. They raised the back curtain after a few songs and there were no amps on stage at all.

Yea the new way seems to be little or no amps on stage. Just saw bad company and they had a silk screen of Marshall and Ampeg amps. They raised the back curtain after a few songs and there were no amps on stage at all.

If that's the future I don't like it.

When I hear some guitarrist play I always wonder "where this tone come from?". Then I see the amp (or the Axe) and everything makes sense.

I'd also like to know if Fractal is involved with the current tour--I have to assume no official word means they are not?

My guess is that the amps and gear are probably under the stage.
Toopy is write, Dallas is certainly checking everything as usual....under the scene switching effects from time to time , Edge strat broke down during streets ... Dallas was there immediately with an other one ....

Toopy is write, Dallas is certainly checking everything as usual....under the scene switching effects from time to time , Edge strat broke down during streets ... Dallas was there immediately with an other one ....
I m wondering if Edge has change something for his tone .... most songs like streets , pride, still haven t , with or ....sound like previous tour ... to my ears...
Fafa

I m wondering if Edge has change something for his tone .... most songs like streets , pride, still haven t , with or ....sound like previous tour ... to my ears...
Fafa

Sounds like Fractal more than his old 64 AC30 to my ears. Difficult to tell though. At least on the mobile phone footage which is all we have to go on. Streets still has way more drive than it did back in the 80s on the first Joshua tree tour where it was basically totally clean.

U2 have shrunk! Did they do it to save on transport costs?
Shrunk? The video backdrop and the rest of the production looks massive to me. I wonder how many lorries it takes to haul that around.
yeah ... I know Bono's ass is nearer the ground than most....... but in that particular pic he and all the rest of them look to be only slightly wider than a road white line (it was just a visual joke):D

(love the way Bono makes sure he stands on a box when up behind the kit)

It's an evolved version of the rig used on the last tour. I got a text from a friend at the show who said the Fractal Audio gear had performed flawlessly. I also understand that there are now some AX8s in the rig as well.

Speaking of Edge, have you seen his signature amp from Fender? I've played it and it sounds incredible. It's a reproduction of one of his favorite vintage Deluxe amps (which I've also played). I would love to see a model of that amp at some point. We'll have to see what happens!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom