Is the brit pre good enough?

Actually a JMP-1 is unique in that the tone controls do not interact. Most guitar amps use a passive "tone stack" where the controls interact. The JMP-1 has a fixed passive tone stack followed by an active 4-band EQ. The Axe-Fx tone controls replicate this EQ but the controls have a greater range.
Sorry to interrupt but the point of interacting tone controls brought me to realize something while tweaking my in my XL+ When I want to add more midrange at either the mid knob or the amp blocks GEQ, I often find myself losing some low end growl and sometimes vise versa!
Are there any amps in the axe that do not have this affect on tone whereas the tone controls do not interact as aggressively? Thanks for your help.

Here we go. I matched the model settings to their equivalent on the JMP-1 and tested the 4 JMPre modes and the Brit Pre. The Brit Pre is noticeably more scooped and less accurate (although I'm sure I could EQ it to sound similar). As usual, there's subtle differences but these are well within what I'd expect from physical unit to unit let alone model to physical unit.

Chiming in late here....

I have a JMP-1 and Marshall 100/100 in my basement (my favorite rig, and will never sell).
I have run my Axe and JMP-1 into that power amp, and into a Mesa 4x12 cab, using a A/B box to bounce between the two units.
So just using the Axe (and JMP-1) as a Pre-Amp, into the same Tube Power and Cab.

They're VERY close, but there is still something slightly different in feel with the JMP-1, that I was not able to create with my Axe.
I performed a Tone Match as well (feeding the JMP output into my Axe), and this got me the closest.

I'm going to guess there is some advanced setting that would get me that last 5% to match the JMP-1 exactly, but I just haven't gone searching for it.

For me it's worth keeping the JMP-1 because it's set up in my rehearsal room with that boat anchor power amp, and I never have to move it.

Here we go. I matched the model settings to their equivalent on the JMP-1 and tested the 4 JMPre modes and the Brit Pre. The Brit Pre is noticeably more scooped and less accurate (although I'm sure I could EQ it to sound similar). As usual, there's subtle differences but these are well within what I'd expect from physical unit to unit let alone model to physical unit.

Scene 1 - Axe ?

Scott Appleton and I dialed in the Axe-Fx to be indistinguishable from Phil Collen's JMP. We plugged it into his usual power amp and cab and set up an A/B footswitch. That was back before Phil started using it. The firmware has come a LONG way since then!

Can you post which one was which please in reagards to the video which i thank you for making

Scott Appleton and I dialed in the Axe-Fx to be indistinguishable from Phil Collen's JMP. We plugged it into his usual power amp and cab and set up an A/B footswitch. That was back before Phil started using it. The firmware has come a LONG way since then!

The video I did involved absolutely no tweaking, so I'm sure within a few minutes it would be straightforward to get them identical.

Can you post which one was which please in reagards to the video which i thank you for making

Scene 1 is the AX8 which I prefer.

The Brit Pre is noticeably more scooped and less accurate (although I'm sure I could EQ it to sound similar).
I think the Brit Pre model never really was spot on and only kept after re-modeling on request by some artists who relied on that early version. the JMPre model however sounds very close.

I've never played the real world counterparts but I have fallen back in love with the Brit Pre. Gets me that classic rock sound I'm immediately comfortable with. Cliff reworked the JMP models and left the Brit Pre. This has me curious as to how it was reworked. I'm sure a simple forum search will give me the answers.

I have to say I’m really impressed with the Brit pre. I don’t think I’ve ever tried it before but I just started from scratch, Brit pre on default settings, factory greenback mix, with zero adjustment it sounds damn good.

I just discovered this Model.
I didn't realise BritPre wasn't the 'proper' model. I think it sounds way better. It's got that Pick attack I really like so it's good for metal stuff.
I use it with the Ownhammer Heavy Hitters Marshall V30+EVH OH1 05-07 :D

I will say, the Brit Pre in the Axe III sounds better to me for some reason.
I know the amp modeling hasn't made leaps and bounds yet in the III, but I went to the Brit Pre factory preset and was immediately thinking - oh, this sounds right now! (I have a JMP-1 in the basement that I play frequently enough).
I need to do another A/B.

Back
Top Bottom