Is the Big Hair amp based on the ADA MP1???

Part of the MP-1 Tone comes from the built in chorus. In the Axe II, add a (80's style) Chorus block before the BIG HAIR Amp block and set the rate @ about 0.153 Hz oclock and the depth about 10%. (tweak from there/ Mix should be oh so lightly) Bake high on 350° 20 minutes and serve hot!

Introduced in 1987. Most 80's Hair bands didn't use it. But I'm sure the unit was in response to demand for "that sound". I think of Vito Bratta whenever I hear one.

Same here... and I agree. Most of those bands were using Marshalls with tubescreamers in front, or boogies.. etc. I remember reading an interview in a guitar mag with Vitto Bratta talking about being on tour opening for AC/DC. he talked about getting to hear Angus's rig on stage during his soundcheck and mentioned how small his rig (ADA) sounded compared to the Marshalls.

I had an MP-2 for a while in the 90's. It was OK, but I didn't keep it long.. can't say I've had any desire to try to get back it's tone via the Axe.

ADA made some good gear back then though. A buddy of mine had an MP-1 rig with ADA footswitch and a pair of ADA upright 2x12 slant cabs like this:

ADA.gif

I thought these cabs were awesome and still wonder why this format didn't really catch on. You could put 2 side by side and it looks just like a 4x12, or you could separate them for wide stereo.. or use only one cab for a smaller stage footprint.. with much better upward dispersion toward your ears than a typical 2x12 on the floor, firing at your ankles.

Reactions: MSP
This thread has brought back some memories of my first years starting to play. This was my first "real" pro rig, MP-1 with a Metaltronix SP 1000 poweramp, BBE 482 with two of those ADA split cabs.

Funny, a year earlier my first "real" guitar was a flip-flop/white-pink finish Kramer Baretta, only way I was able to afford it was from a Lawsuit. This guy sucker punched me from behind and cracked my jaw bone, So he got arrested and had to send me checks in the mail for awhile.... Like to find and thank him for buying me my gear, I wouldn't had a chance in hell to buy it back then.

You gotta be a guitar addict to be fine with taking a punch for some gear! :)

Its funny. I had an MP-1 when I was 15 and I just never could get a decent sound out of it (mids way to scooped). If I knew then what I know now, I probably would still own it.
:lol

This thread has brought back some memories of my first years starting to play. This was my first "real" pro rig, MP-1 with a Metaltronix SP 1000 poweramp, BBE 482 with two of those ADA split cabs.

Funny, a year earlier my first "real" guitar was a flip-flop/white-pink finish Kramer Baretta, only way I was able to afford it was from a Lawsuit. This guy sucker punched me from behind and cracked my jaw bone, So he got arrested and had to send me checks in the mail for awhile.... Like to find and thank him for buying me my gear, I wouldn't had a chance in hell to buy it back then.

You gotta be a guitar addict to be fine with taking a punch for some gear! :)

I remember seeing an Mp-1 in the rack at a music store for the first time ....."$1200 for that!! I'll never afford it!!" I currently have 4 in my studio.

Cool thread :p

I have two MP-1's that I bought used for cheap many years after the 80's ended. I know the Axe II is probably superior in all areas, but I just can't get myself to sell them. Something about those blue front panels in the rack... hehe

GuitarDojo, do you happen to know what has happened to Adadepot? Is it gone for good?

I had one of the first 100 built way back in the day. My band used to gig with the band the main designer was in. This was in Oakland IIRC. He always had the prototype on the gig with him, with the top off. He was constantly tweaking it during the gig. After one show I approached him to ask what he was doing and got the scoop. He hooked me up with one of the first production models and I used it with a Mesa 50/50 for about 5 years, until I got my Triaxis. I sold it a few years back when I was clearing stuff out. It was a good unit and used they can be had for a song these days... so why not own 4 eh!?

Cool thread :p

I have two MP-1's that I bought used for cheap many years after the 80's ended. I know the Axe II is probably superior in all areas, but I just can't get myself to sell them. Something about those blue front panels in the rack... hehe

GuitarDojo, do you happen to know what has happened to Adadepot? Is it gone for good?

Server went down March/April (i think) and it has not been back since. I was thinking of sending MJMP an email to see whats up. There are a few ADAdepot users over here. I modded some for myself and others, I have some MJMP modded (Ultra+) and Hairston did my first 3TM.

I remember seeing an Mp-1 in the rack at a music store for the first time ....."$1200 for that!! I'll never afford it!!" I currently have 4 in my studio.
you have four !?! ...ok...I'm pretty sure you can afford to live with only three for a couple of weeks and send one to Cliff. since the early Axe days there's always been threads about the A/DAs on here, so there really seems to be some ongoing interest in that little box...

Before I stopped playing for many years, my last rig was the MP-1 with an Alesis Quadroverb and an ADA Bipolar power amp into a Marshall JCM 900 cabinet. That rig served me well for many years. I sold it in parts when I began to get back into the guitar recently. Helped fund an Eleven Rack that eventually helped fund my Axe.

Tons of top flight folks used them in the "hair" days. Like the hair or not you can't deny the musicianship.

I would welcome a model of that preamp!

Obviously, there seems to be enough interest in this pre amp, would Cliff ever think about modeling it for the Axe??? The Big Hair model sounds great, but obviously there are many here who would appreciate the real thing modeled.

Back
Top Bottom