Is the Behringer a good solution for switching on the III currently?

Making my way around on the III fairly good at this point. I am about to where I want to start setting up my switching. I need basic scene switching on the bottom row, wah on one expression pedal and fx loop bypass on the other pedal. I want the top row to send PCs to another downstream device. Is the FCB a viable option for this with the III?

I use an ART X-15 and it does pretty much everything. I know the FCB will work for most of the midi. The only thing I ever heard about the Behringer is it has some lag. The only time I get any lag is if I have AXE Edit running. The ART units are old but built like tanks. They run around $50 to $150, depending on cosmetic condition.

I had an FCB when I first started with Fractal. It worked well but I found it very hard to program. It sounds like you might understand Midi better than I did. I know that with the Uno chip modification you can put stomp boxes on the top row so maybe that can do your PCs, too.

Thanks for the replies guys! Hopefully I'll have a chance to dig in this weekend. It should be easier with the midi interface and the Behringer floorboard software versus programming it on the Behringer itself:(

I use the FCB1010 with the Eureka Chip and it works really well with the AxeFX II. It works goo with the AxeFXIII except for the initial FX On/Off statuse when in FX mode . all in all not bad for a less then $200 solution

Here is a demo video of how the Eureka Chip works with the Axe FX

Setting the Behringer FCB1010 to control scenes, stompboxes or the looper doesn't require MIDI programming skills or special software or EPROM chips. Just pressing some footswitches following the instructions.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...hing-you-want-with-fcb1010-no-uno-chip.141749
I tried manually programming it and maybe I attemped it too late in the day, but it was pretty much hell on earth :mad::D I grabbed the midi sport and am hoping that plus the floorboard software will make for a much better programming experience.

The FCB1010 is dead easy to program. I use it stock and in just ONE bank of pedals I have: 3 presets (set up to double-tap to toggle between my two favorite scenes in each preset), two individual effect toggles, a tap tempo, 4 scene pedals that each toggle between 1 & 5, 2 & 6, etc., access to the tuner, and volume.

If I click down a bank from my main bank, I now have full access to the looper, three presets, as well as scene increment/decrement.

If I click up a bank from my main bank, I now have access to 10 individual effects.

In short, the only reason it was difficult to learn at first was because I was also learning MIDI at the same time which itself can be overwhelming. But now I LOVE it and always recommend it when people ask. Most of my posts on this forum are FCB1010-related lol! I even have a bunch of videos on YouTube about using the stock chip. You don't even need the UnO or EurekaPROM. These chips, however, have the added benefit of multiple lights on at once so you can tell at a glance which pedals are on, plus they allow you to have a momentary (hold) switch which the stock firmware doesn't allow.

In summary, yes; the FCB1010 is compatible with the III and a wonderful companion. Best of all, one can be had for dirt cheap new or used! Will I still get an FC when they come out? Perhaps. But someone on YouTube will really have to sell me on it lol!

EDIT: to further answer your question, each pedal can send up to FIVE program changes and TWO CCs. That's quite a lot of versatility. You should have no issue connecting another device; although it should be noted that you specify what channel the FCB outputs to.

So messed around with it a bit using the editor to no avail. For whatever reason. Went back to manual programming and behold...scene changes work on the bottom 5 switches! Thanks for all the helpful replies guys! Now I need to get into programming the expression pedals. Coffee first...

The FCB1010 is dead easy to program. I use it stock and in just ONE bank of pedals I have: 3 presets (set up to double-tap to toggle between my two favorite scenes in each preset), two individual effect toggles, a tap tempo, 4 scene pedals that each toggle between 1 & 5, 2 & 6, etc., access to the tuner, and volume.

If I click down a bank from my main bank, I now have full access to the looper, three presets, as well as scene increment/decrement.

If I click up a bank from my main bank, I now have access to 10 individual effects.

In short, the only reason it was difficult to learn at first was because I was also learning MIDI at the same time which itself can be overwhelming. But now I LOVE it and always recommend it when people ask. Most of my posts on this forum are FCB1010-related lol! I even have a bunch of videos on YouTube about using the stock chip. You don't even need the UnO or EurekaPROM. These chips, however, have the added benefit of multiple lights on at once so you can tell at a glance which pedals are on, plus they allow you to have a momentary (hold) switch which the stock firmware doesn't allow.

In summary, yes; the FCB1010 is compatible with the III and a wonderful companion. Best of all, one can be had for dirt cheap new or used! Will I still get an FC when they come out? Perhaps. But someone on YouTube will really have to sell me on it lol!

EDIT: to further answer your question, each pedal can send up to FIVE program changes and TWO CCs. That's quite a lot of versatility. You should have no issue connecting another device; although it should be noted that you specify what channel the FCB outputs to.
How do I program a secondary PC to go to a downstream device on a different midi channel?

How do I program a secondary PC to go to a downstream device on a different midi channel?
Well... I was about to say "You can't," because I thought it was impossible since I assumed you can only send on one channel at a time. However, I decided to double-check and I found in the FCB1010's global settings, you can specify which channel you want which of the FCB1010's functions to send on; (manual page 6 & 7). Thus, you can send your Axe III preset change PC to the Axe on MIDI Ch.1, for instance, and PC 2 to channel 2 (secondary device), PC 3 to channel 3 (tertiary device), etc., for all 5 PCs, 2 CC, 2 Exp. pedals, and MIDI note (this covers all 10 of the pedals' functions). Note: The examples are arbitrary - if your rack gear is on MIDI Ch. 11, then you can assign PC 2 to transmit on MIDI Ch. 11.

I appreciate you asking this question. You just made me learn something new about my device! It's now even MORE useful and versatile!

EDIT: to reiterate, I'm still learning MIDI; the Axe is the only MIDI-capable device I've ever actually used MIDI on. It's quite a journey, but not nearly as difficult as it is intimidating.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom