Is the Axe-Fx III well suited for two guitars at the same time?

Jono Bacon

Inspired
Sorry if this is a silly question, but with all the ins and outs on the Axe FX III, could you have two guitars plugged in at the same time with each running through its own amp/cab/effects chain and then being outputted on two different output channels?

This could be ideal for recording jamming sessions in my studio.

Fantastic. I think I will hook this up to a few different cabs in my studio, and this will simply some of these sessions.

Thanks for the swift response!

I may setup a signal chain for me, my bass player, and my vocals?

Taking a quick gander at the back of the Axe FX III it looks like I could have each guitarist and a bassist go in, each have their own signal chain, and each have a (mono) output that goes to both a cab and a recording interface insert. Am I reading this right?

If so, that is some grade A bonkers right there. :)

From the Fractal site: "The Axe-Fx III features two instrument inputs: one on the front and one on the back with auto-switching capability. Inserting a plug into the front input jack automatically switches the unit to front input operation. Remove the plug and the unit switches to the rear input. Connect your wireless to the rear input and then plug into the front input to tune (using the new tuner display) or make quick adjustments. Unplug and you’re back to jumping around on stage with your wireless. Both inputs feature our Auto-Z technology which simulates the input impedance and subsequent pickup loading of typical stomp boxes."

If using two guitars simultaneously (or a guitar and bass), sounds like one of them can have the input impedance simulation (auto-z) at a given time?. Not sure how important that may be, in comparison with the other inputs.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Input_impedance

Question: If instruments are connected through wireless systems (L6 Relay G55 or similar), is the Auto-Z a moot point? Sounds like it only would affect how pickups react if directly wired, right?

Also, sort of related.... any chance for a ZVex Fuzz Factory with in AxeIII ? ;)

Can't wait for the III ! Gonna be awesome!!

I am thinking, you could run two guitars, a bass (through the darkglass drive) and even run an Aux send from the band mixer into the Axe III for FX duties (reverb, delays, Chorus, Pitch)

I am thinking, you could run two guitars, a bass (through the darkglass drive) and even run an Aux send from the band mixer into the Axe III for FX duties (reverb, delays, Chorus, Pitch)

Why not.

We have to XL+ units now. One works for guitar and vocals, another one for guitar and bass. With III, I may run guitar, bass and vocals in one unit, I think. Routing supports that, and I think there’s enough CPU.

Can we somehow divide preset for two completely separate spaces? In a way that 2 guitarists can have independent scene switching? Something like when 1st guitarist can change "his" scene without switching anything in another guy signal chain? Or maybe new footswitches can operate in completely different manner?

No scenes cannot be split, unfortunately, they affect all blocks on the II, and I suspect it’s the same on III.

You can sort of do complex MIDI mapping on the MFC where one button can change multiple effect states, so there’s that.

I’m not at all sure if this can be done on the new controllers, and generic MIDI ones won’t have visual feedback (could probably be solved with updates).

Oh man, I imagine getting ready to wail on a VanHalen type solo when the co-player hits the wrong scene and a twangy, rotary clean sound plays...
oh sorry dude!
:(

Studio kats run two guitars through the Axe 2 all the time because it's so many leagues above any and all software amp simulation plugins in feel, touch, musicality and in tone.

Last edited:
Give us some more info on how you've set it up.

Does your I/O blocks look like iarasee's post #2 in the Layout?

My bassist and I (guitar) use a single Axe-FX II. It's not even an XL, so I'm pretty sure that the III, especially with the major step up in routing tools, can handle two guitars. In fact, I'm pretty sure it could do it with out breaking a sweat.

Hello, would you mind sharing what amps your bassist uses? I am going to run a chapmen stick through mine when it arrives. As primarily a guitarist, I am not sure what would be a good choice for bass. - Regard, The Oath.

Back
Top Bottom