Is the Axe-Fx II the right purchase for me?

SOAWM

Inspired
Dear Fractal Users,

Recently I've won a talent contest with the grand price of 2000€ to buy musical equipment and I'm currently considering to buy an Axe FX 2 or a second hand Ultra.

Lets give a brief overview of my situation:

I play in a thrash metal band where I use a tube halfstack (Peavey 6505, Laboga 412 V30), some stompboxes and a Rocktron Replifex rack. I'm very pleased with the sounds I'm getting and I don't feel like going digital for this band. Next to this band I'm also starting a postrock band with friends and we'll soon start writing and hopefully rehearsing. I contributed to the talent contest with the purpose of hopefully winning and being able to expand my pedalboard for this kind of music (which makes uses of a lot of reverb and delays).

My initial plan was to buy a Strymon Timeline and an Eventide Space, which would give me endless possibilities for creating soundscapes. The only problem is that I haven't bought an amp for the postrock band yet, since we don't have a rehearsal space and I live in a small apartment. So basically I'm not able to store something like a Twin Reverb in my room, because it's too damn big and couldn't use it at home because it would be WAY too loud for our neighbors...

I've been tied to playing with POD's (with headphones) at home for years, but I'm getting tired of the sounds I'm getting. If I'd use the money for buying 2k worth of stompboxes, I wold probably get better results and I would be able to store patches that are song-specific. I've been gassing for a Strymon Timeline since it's initial release, but yesterday someone askes me: why don't get an Axe-Fx and forget about the pedals?

So I'm asking you, is it worth it to use all my price money for an Axe FX?

PRO's:

• A purchase which I will use 90% of the time. I only rehearse once a week with my band and only gig occasionally, so I'd mostly play and record at home.
  • A vast array of sounds, which will be better than my POD X3
  • I can write for the postrock band at home and use the AF for rehearsals and gigs, so I don't have to buy an old Fender Tube amp, which would only be used once a week.
  • The Postrock band has chosen me for all the tech-stuff, so I'd have to make sure all the VST's for piano and strings are working live with our midi-keyboard. Since I'd always have to lug around my Macbook pro, I'd also be able to automate all my effect changes with midi (if we play with a click).
  • Being able to do decent home-recordings.

CON's / QUESTIONS:

• How easy is it to change a couple of parameters when playing live or rehearsing? Different locations often require different settings for optimal sound. Since my Macbook would be integrated in my setup, would Axe-Edit be the way to go?
  • I'm a little scared of having to adjust everything through menu's, I prefer having easy stompboxes in front of me. My Rocktron rack never gets adjusted during rehearsals, because it take to much time. Since it's always in our rehearsal room, I'm not really familiar with the menus. So with the Axe it should be less of a problem, because I'd take that home.
  • I know the AF does modern metal well, because it's like the number one device for djenters. I mostly play thrash and death metal in the veins of: old Slayer, Morgoth, Autopsy, Kreator, Morbid Saint, Demolition Hammer,... Is the AX also capable of producing such old school sounds, without the polished digital sheen over it?
  • At home I play a lot of different styles going from Blues, to Sludge, to Stoner/doom, to 70's Psychedelic,... How are those sounds represented.
  • For postrock, I like to play with delay-parameters to get weird sounds wile playing. I guess for doing so, I need a good footcontroller and expression pedal? I do need stellar cleans and effects for the band.

So to end this wall of text: would the Axe FX be a wise decision in my situation or would I be better of with filling up my pedalboard and buying an old Fender along the way and keep the POD X3 for home and recording use? If I'd buy an Axe FX, which version should I buy? If I'd want to buy the second version, I would have to pay an extra 300 on top of my price money, while 2000€ could be enough to buy a used ULTRA and a MCF-101 controller. Small side-note: I don't have an interface, because I use the POD X3 directly for recording.

Sorry for the all the questions, but with large purchases I always want to make sure I make the right decision.

Cheers!

If you use the entire budget to buy an AxeFx II, what will you use to amplify it?

The first months the Axe-FX II would be mainly used at home with headphones or with my KRK VXT4 monitors. If we start rehearsing with the postrock band, I can always go straight to our PA (we already have that) or save up for something else by then. I can also use my 6505 as a poweramp, using the fx-loop. I don't want to risk buying a high-end amp like a Fender Twin, only to find out after a couple of months that the band is going nowhere, because that would render it useless.

The main motivation behind the purchase of an Axe Fx would be that I buy something that I use a lot, instead of my other gear that stays in our rehearsal space and only comes out 3 hours a week.

The Axe FX II is a fabulous unit, I just bought my second this past weekend.

While I feel it will do everything you are asking, your budget is too small. In Europe you have to deal with E66 for pricing, but I can tell you in the USA the unit, if you wait on the waiting list is $2200 before shipping. The Euro is still around $1.25 before VAT.

To have a top line rig with the MFC 101, Mission pedals, wiring, a stereo FRFR system and a rack case, a realistic cost is $5,000 +/- $500.

With your laptop and Axe Edit you can make changes rather quickly after you are familiar with how to do so. The unit has global EQ to address venue issues.

Since demand outpaces supply presently, you can buy the Axe II and try it at little to no risk. When you dial it in at home and begin to love it, you can go all in and dump your current rig to finance the Axe rig I described.

The Axe FX II is a fabulous unit, I just bought my second this past weekend.

While I feel it will do everything you are asking, your budget is too small. In Europe you have to deal with E66 for pricing, but I can tell you in the USA the unit, if you wait on the waiting list is $2200 before shipping. The Euro is still around $1.25 before VAT.

To have a top line rig with the MFC 101, Mission pedals, wiring, a stereo FRFR system and a rack case, a realistic cost is $5,000 +/- $500.

With your laptop and Axe Edit you can make changes rather quickly after you are familiar with how to do so. The unit has global EQ to address venue issues.

Since demand outpaces supply presently, you can buy the Axe II and try it at little to no risk. When you dial it in at home and begin to love it, you can go all in and dump your current rig to finance the Axe rig I described.

Thanks for the elaborate reply!

I understand that my budget is too small to go full scale immediately, but in the end I only have to pay 299€ out of my own pocket to own an Axe FX II. I think that it isn't a problem that I have to play with only the unit and my monitors or headphones for a couple of months? Like I said: it wil be mainly used at home for playing and recording. And maybe it's even better to get to know the unit, before I start to add other deciding sound factors like power-amp and speakers?

I do have an old Boss FC-50 midi controller wich I can use to change between presets until I can buy a high-end controller.

I must admit that I'm not sure whether I would dump my current rig for going full digital. I just like the punch and sound of my 6505 and I don't know whether a digital unit can make me sit that good in the mix. Only time will tell.

Going stereo would be super nice for the postrock band!

I would go for the AXEII. I am much like yourself musically, old school thrash, thats my forte. I was a bit concerned but I have got to tell you, I have no problem getting accurate tones from just about any band I want now, old slayer, Carcass, Death, Sepultura, Megadeth, Metallica, Ozzy, Emporer, Anthrax, Morbid Angel etc. You can pull ANY tone you want out of the AxeII.

I have owned it for 3 weeks and and played guitar for 20 years, I have never come across a more useful piece of musical equipment. It has usb that will hook right up to your computer so you can direct record. I also use a Mac. The editing of tones is pretty easy with Axe Edit software. The Axe has AMAZING effects and you can get all kinds of amazing musical soundscapes. There are even some people making patches based on other instruments such as Violin, Chello, Bagpipes! And they sound very close to the real deal.

I have tried most of the Line 6 stuff since the original PD came out and the line 6 stuff is NTHING compared to the Axe. Its not even close. The AxeII is a professional piece of equipment that has taken my playing to new heights, enabled me to finally start getting the tones I want and recording.

Oh and with Tonematch you can grab tones from some of your favorite bands! I' started doing this and am blown away by the results! You need to find songs with about a 5-10 second isolated guitar part though for it to work best.

Go with the II. If your new project/s dont work out, then you can always update your current rig. 300 euro is cheap for the best preamp/processor money can buy. :)

I would go for the AXEII. I am much like yourself musically, old school thrash, thats my forte. I was a bit concerned but I have got to tell you, I have no problem getting accurate tones from just about any band I want now, old slayer, Carcass, Death, Sepultura, Megadeth, Metallica, Ozzy, Emporer, Anthrax, Morbid Angel etc. You can pull ANY tone you want out of the AxeII.

I have owned it for 3 weeks and and played guitar for 20 years, I have never come across a more useful piece of musical equipment. It has usb that will hook right up to your computer so you can direct record. I also use a Mac. The editing of tones is pretty easy with Axe Edit software. The Axe has AMAZING effects and you can get all kinds of amazing musical soundscapes. There are even some people making patches based on other instruments such as Violin, Chello, Bagpipes! And they sound very close to the real deal.

I have tried most of the Line 6 stuff since the original PD came out and the line 6 stuff is NTHING compared to the Axe. Its not even close. The AxeII is a professional piece of equipment that has taken my playing to new heights, enabled me to finally start getting the tones I want and recording.

Oh and with Tonematch you can grab tones from some of your favorite bands! I' started doing this and am blown away by the results! You need to find songs with about a 5-10 second isolated guitar part though for it to work best.

That's awesome to hear! I'm glad the unit is able to dial in some good old school metal sounds. I checked out those violin sounds with an Axe FX and I almost couldn't believe what I heard. I've been messing with Violin and Cello VST's for the postrock band, but being able to do something like that on my guitar will really add to the show!

To be honest I quite enjoyed the POD X3 once I started to mess around with other cab impulses. A while ago I recorded an Autopsy cover (Autopsy - Severed Survival (cover with improvised solo) - YouTube) and I am not completely dissatisfied with the results. But I guess the AF2 will be a lot better.

Go with the II. If your new project/s dont work out, then you can always update your current rig. 300 euro is cheap for the best preamp/processor money can buy. :)

True! As a student it would be hard to justify buying something that expensive, but winning the talent contest gives me the perfect opportunity. Do the Fractal units tend to keep their value once a newer version comes out? I don't know how much the ULTRA costed when it came out, but they still sell for more that 1200€.

The AxeII is so versatile that you can dial in pretty much any tone you want. Also with the AxeII you get unparalleled support and free firmware updates with new amp models and effects! The forum is a great place to get all of your questions answered and definitely read the AxeII wiki, its helping me out but when I have other questions I come here and there is always someone to help you get through your problems.

If yo liked your PD X3, you will be blown away by the AxeII. The Podx3 isn't even in the same universe as the AXE. I've had the X3 before as well so I speak from first hand knowledge. In my opinion you cant go wrong with the AXEII.

Good luck!

The AxeII is so versatile that you can dial in pretty much any tone you want. Also with the AxeII you get unparalleled support and free firmware updates with new amp models and effects! The forum is a great place to get all of your questions answered and definitely read the AxeII wiki, its helping me out but when I have other questions I come here and there is always someone to help you get through your problems.

If yo liked your PD X3, you will be blown away by the AxeII. The Podx3 isn't even in the same universe as the AXE. I've had the X3 before as well so I speak from first hand knowledge. In my opinion you cant go wrong with the AXEII.

Good luck!

Thanks mate! I already had the impression that this was a very kind and helpful forum. ;)

I just checked my bankaccount and the price money has been deposited! I'm now officially on the waiting list for an AxeII at G66.eu! It takes about a month before there is a unit available, so I still have plenty of time to do my research and make up my mind.

Those free firmware updates sound amazing. The AxeII has been out for about a year, so I hope it still has a couple of years before a new version is released and they start to hit the limitations of the II!

Get one, it just gets better and better... I use mine into the return of a studio pro. Hey I know it's a crap power stage but I'm actually pretty happy with it! I'm guessing it'll sound way better through your amp.

If you don't like it I don't think you'll have a problem moving it on

Though I use mine as more of an amp cab and stomp setup :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My Experience. I went from playing a 6505+ to an Ultra and now the 2. My trek was mixed at first. When I got my Ultra I was totally in love with all the toys. But what I didnt like was the direct recording. I run a Motu 8-Pre and after many months I found that since my card didnt have line level in's it was coloring my sound from the Axe. I hated trying to dial it in for direct recording. Obivously no fault of the unit. But when I would run it thru a power amp and cab and shut off the amp and cab sims nothing was better. I could do whatever I wanted for sound.

You will find a lot of people on the forum that run full range as well, I have a friend that does that and swears by it. It also gives you the ability to drop the cabs and just go direct. All things you cant do with a single amp. The effects processing IMO is second to none. You can do whatever you can think of and thanks to the creativity of all the other members on the forum you can swap patches and ideas.
The thing it took me a bit to realize was that you're buying so much more than just a pre-amp. It really becomes a tool.

Moving on to the Axe II was huge for me. On the surface it didnt seem like it was that much different other than some I/O things and more processing power and such. But I now use it for my interface (unless I need to use a bunch of mics) But it functions for me on so many levels. It my recording interface and preamp, I use it for my live rig. I have eveything at my fingertips. If your concerned about dropping your head for a digital interface totally run it thru the clean of your 6505. I run mine with a VHT 2/50/2 and would never look back. I still look at Orange and Engl heads and wish and want but in the end thats just one head and cant offer a fraction of what I get with my Axe 2.

Best thing is the updates. Cliff tosses out free updates all the time that are not only patches for the software but also amps and effects and tweeks. This last one included the EVH 5150III sims for all 3 channels. So one day you get an update and you have a new amp to play with. I dont know of any other company that offers what Fractal does for guitar players.

I think you asked if it was easy to dial in. I'm going to say no, not right off the bat. There is so much going on and so many things you can tweak if you choose to I dont think there is anyway for it to be easy. But like any other piece of gear as you dig into it things will start to make sense.

If I had to do it all over again, I would get the II hands down!! Hope that helps!!

My Experience. I went from playing a 6505+ to an Ultra and now the 2. My trek was mixed at first. When I got my Ultra I was totally in love with all the toys. But what I didnt like was the direct recording. I run a Motu 8-Pre and after many months I found that since my card didnt have line level in's it was coloring my sound from the Axe. I hated trying to dial it in for direct recording. Obivously no fault of the unit. But when I would run it thru a power amp and cab and shut off the amp and cab sims nothing was better. I could do whatever I wanted for sound.

You will find a lot of people on the forum that run full range as well, I have a friend that does that and swears by it. It also gives you the ability to drop the cabs and just go direct. All things you cant do with a single amp. The effects processing IMO is second to none. You can do whatever you can think of and thanks to the creativity of all the other members on the forum you can swap patches and ideas.
The thing it took me a bit to realize was that you're buying so much more than just a pre-amp. It really becomes a tool.

Moving on to the Axe II was huge for me. On the surface it didnt seem like it was that much different other than some I/O things and more processing power and such. But I now use it for my interface (unless I need to use a bunch of mics) But it functions for me on so many levels. It my recording interface and preamp, I use it for my live rig. I have eveything at my fingertips. If your concerned about dropping your head for a digital interface totally run it thru the clean of your 6505. I run mine with a VHT 2/50/2 and would never look back. I still look at Orange and Engl heads and wish and want but in the end thats just one head and cant offer a fraction of what I get with my Axe 2.

Best thing is the updates. Cliff tosses out free updates all the time that are not only patches for the software but also amps and effects and tweeks. This last one included the EVH 5150III sims for all 3 channels. So one day you get an update and you have a new amp to play with. I dont know of any other company that offers what Fractal does for guitar players.

I think you asked if it was easy to dial in. I'm going to say no, not right off the bat. There is so much going on and so many things you can tweak if you choose to I dont think there is anyway for it to be easy. But like any other piece of gear as you dig into it things will start to make sense.

If I had to do it all over again, I would get the II hands down!! Hope that helps!!

That was actually very helpful! I'm getting more and more convinced! I think I'll dig deeper into the matter tonight by reading topics on this forum. ;)

I was stuck between breaking into either a tube based setup or an Axe FX with the budget I had, but I'm so glad I went with the Axe FX. I had an Ultra and now have that and a II. Honestly I don't see very many cons with using an Axe FX vs. a 'stack.' The last few posts do a great job of explaining some key things about the Axe FX. I will simply say the deciding factor to me was reliability, maintenance, and flexibility. You won't have to change any power tubes, you don't have to wait 30 minutes for it to warm up fully before recording with it. You can use it direct or recording, etc etc. A lot of points were already covered already so I won't repeat all of them. :)

I've had an Axe-II / MFC for a couple of months now...

in all honesty I found that it took a while to get to know..
you'll need to be patient with yourself and the unit...
but now I'm finding my tones there is absolutely no going back...
it's utterly beautiful..

I have an Ultra (getting dusty) and a II, and I love them/endorse most all comments made above.

I also have an old FC-50 that I used to use with rack units before I switched to the Axe -- keep in mind that it can handle two pedals and two switches, so even that unit will give you a lot of stomp-like flexibility with the AxeFx while you explore it (if you get one, of course.) Any inexpensive Boss pedals/switches will do.

TT

I think that if you own an awesome amp and some effects, and throw in a axe FX II as well, you will have best of both worlds!
The Axe FX II also works as a great FX unit. So if your not happy with amp/cab sounds, you will have the best FX unit ever.
I will also say that Fractal uses SHARC DSP processors, which are used by audio critics as the go-to processor when audio quality is a must. Take for instance Universal Audio. The Entire UA Vst stuff runs on SHARD DSP processors. And that's for a reason. Now you have that power as a amp modeller!
My main reason for buying an Axe II was that I didn't have room or energy to transport gigantic setups of amps and stomps. Eventually I sold everything and I'm solely on the axe FX II now. Best buy I ever did.
I also have a girlfriend who doesn't like me making too much noise, so being able to use headphones helps a lot too! haha :D
Best of luck to you!

UM - Id pick up the AFX2, and something like a Midimate controller and Rocktron Hex pedal - which would maybe set you back around 500 of your own money. you COULD sell your Replifex if needed to help fund it - as the AFX2 would easily fill in there as well. Try going direct and using your current amp/cab as different people prefer different solutions.

If you gel with it, you could probably sell most/all of your current setup - and go full on AFX using a quality FREFR OR quality Power amp (using your current speaker cab) while also upgrading your midi controller once you know which method of amplifying the AFX you prefer. If not - its still the best unit for delays etc so getting a cheaper "amp" part for the new band down the line if it takes off is also an option.

Thanks mate! I already had the impression that this was a very kind and helpful forum. ;)

I just checked my bankaccount and the price money has been deposited! I'm now officially on the waiting list for an AxeII at G66.eu! It takes about a month before there is a unit available, so I still have plenty of time to do my research and make up my mind.

Those free firmware updates sound amazing. The AxeII has been out for about a year, so I hope it still has a couple of years before a new version is released and they start to hit the limitations of the II!
Honestly man hearing is believing. When you hear the Axe FxII yourself you'll just know what it is.
The first thought would be "This is so not digital" because it has nothing digital about it sound wise :). Secondly I had plans to get a Diezel Herbert plus cabinet and a bunch of pedals,in 2010. But I changed my entire plan and bought the Axe Fx Ultra. I loved it but it took a lot of time to dial in stuff. I then heard about the II coming out and I said to myself man what more can they do? when the II came out and firmware 4.0 to the current 6.1 firmware came I asked myself what can't they do! :D. Honestly the upgrades are free but just listen to the Axe FxII,it is still going under improvements but since 6.0 it sounds like a living tube amp except more tighter!!! I can't believe how good it sounds man! And whether they come with another Axe or not it doesn't matter. The Axe FxII is at a level where now you can't tell the difference between tube and digital and the coolest thing is a lot of times when you A/B stuff the II sounds actually better.

It's freakishly awesome! Once you see the realism in this unit now and the features and the amount of things it has,you can safely say you have 50+ years of amps,effects,and pedals in this box and also the future.

It's something you can use forever like a classic vintage amp,that get's more ripe and juicier with age.

Cheers :).

I think that if you own an awesome amp and some effects, and throw in a axe FX II as well, you will have best of both worlds!
The Axe FX II also works as a great FX unit. So if your not happy with amp/cab sounds, you will have the best FX unit ever.
I will also say that Fractal uses SHARC DSP processors, which are used by audio critics as the go-to processor when audio quality is a must. Take for instance Universal Audio. The Entire UA Vst stuff runs on SHARD DSP processors. And that's for a reason. Now you have that power as a amp modeller!
My main reason for buying an Axe II was that I didn't have room or energy to transport gigantic setups of amps and stomps. Eventually I sold everything and I'm solely on the axe FX II now. Best buy I ever did.
I also have a girlfriend who doesn't like me making too much noise, so being able to use headphones helps a lot too! haha
Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the response! At the moment I'm very pleased with the sounds I'm getting from my setup, but starting with another project/band just got me thinking. Since postrock relies on soundscapes, fx and a marvelous clean tone, I didn't feel like cashing out more than 3000€ for new rig (which I'd only be able to use when we rehearse).

I really hope that the FX of the Axe are easy to dial in and give amazing results. Who knows, maybe I'll also end up selling my current rig...

UM - Id pick up the AFX2, and something like a Midimate controller and Rocktron Hex pedal - which would maybe set you back around 500 of your own money. you COULD sell your Replifex if needed to help fund it - as the AFX2 would easily fill in there as well. Try going direct and using your current amp/cab as different people prefer different solutions.

If you gel with it, you could probably sell most/all of your current setup - and go full on AFX using a quality FREFR OR quality Power amp (using your current speaker cab) while also upgrading your midi controller once you know which method of amplifying the AFX you prefer. If not - its still the best unit for delays etc so getting a cheaper "amp" part for the new band down the line if it takes off is also an option.

The first months I'll be only using it at home, so then my FC-50 midi controller will suffice! I don't think I will ever part with my Replifex, It's an awesome unit and they are a little hard to find around here... But never say never!

Do you have a link to a place where I can school myself in FRFR or power-amp setups with the Axe 2? I really don't have a clue what would be best!

I have an Ultra (getting dusty) and a II, and I love them/endorse most all comments made above.

I also have an old FC-50 that I used to use with rack units before I switched to the Axe -- keep in mind that it can handle two pedals and two switches, so even that unit will give you a lot of stomp-like flexibility with the AxeFx while you explore it (if you get one, of course.) Any inexpensive Boss pedals/switches will do.

TT

Then sell that Ultra and make someone happy? As with most technology it will lose it's value after a couple more years? Glad to hear that the FC-50 works fine with the Axe! But still, that MCF101 tickles my fancy!

I've had an Axe-II / MFC for a couple of months now...

in all honesty I found that it took a while to get to know..
you'll need to be patient with yourself and the unit...
but now I'm finding my tones there is absolutely no going back...
it's utterly beautiful..

I hope I'll be patient enough to find some killer tones!

I was stuck between breaking into either a tube based setup or an Axe FX with the budget I had, but I'm so glad I went with the Axe FX. I had an Ultra and now have that and a II. Honestly I don't see very many cons with using an Axe FX vs. a 'stack.' The last few posts do a great job of explaining some key things about the Axe FX. I will simply say the deciding factor to me was reliability, maintenance, and flexibility. You won't have to change any power tubes, you don't have to wait 30 minutes for it to warm up fully before recording with it. You can use it direct or recording, etc etc. A lot of points were already covered already so I won't repeat all of them. :)

Thanks for the reply!

Honestly man hearing is believing. When you hear the Axe FxII yourself you'll just know what it is.
The first thought would be "This is so not digital" because it has nothing digital about it sound wise :). Secondly I had plans to get a Diezel Herbert plus cabinet and a bunch of pedals,in 2010. But I changed my entire plan and bought the Axe Fx Ultra. I loved it but it took a lot of time to dial in stuff. I then heard about the II coming out and I said to myself man what more can they do? when the II came out and firmware 4.0 to the current 6.1 firmware came I asked myself what can't they do! :D. Honestly the upgrades are free but just listen to the Axe FxII,it is still going under improvements but since 6.0 it sounds like a living tube amp except more tighter!!! I can't believe how good it sounds man! And whether they come with another Axe or not it doesn't matter. The Axe FxII is at a level where now you can't tell the difference between tube and digital and the coolest thing is a lot of times when you A/B stuff the II sounds actually better.

It's freakishly awesome! Once you see the realism in this unit now and the features and the amount of things it has,you can safely say you have 50+ years of amps,effects,and pedals in this box and also the future.

It's something you can use forever like a classic vintage amp,that get's more ripe and juicier with age.

Cheers :).

I'm glad those updates really make a huge difference! And the Axe FxII will probably get plenty more.Hope the waiting list isn't too long, because I'm really excited. :lol

Back
Top Bottom