Is the Axe-Fx good for bass?

Unless you are @Admin M@ and worked with these artists, your statement to the contrary is in itself is at best a guess.

That's right. I said already that I wasn't sure.
I am just not a big fan of name dropping to convince other people that a certain piece of gear is worth buying. Just because player X is using it doesn't automatically mean it is for everybody.
You could also say that Tony Levin uses a Kemper. Nice to know but that doesn't mean anything to me.

It was mentioned once in this thread but doesnt seem to get much attention. But try using it without a cab. Build the patch with an amp and whatever effects you want but seriously try it without a cab. Although I have an Ultra I am very pleased with my bass tones going cab less. Just seems clearer and punchier.

It was mentioned once in this thread but doesnt seem to get much attention. But try using it without a cab. Build the patch with an amp and whatever effects you want but seriously try it without a cab. Although I have an Ultra I am very pleased with my bass tones going cab less. Just seems clearer and punchier.
My favorite bass presets use an IR of a Palmer speaker simulator on the grit channel of my Rick. I don't think the complex comb filtering of most IRs of real speakers sound as good on bass.

This recording uses one of my Rick presets. It's not for everyone, but I love it. Lots of midrange clarity as opposed to the scooped-mid tone many bassists prefer. Great for busy bass lines. I wouldn't necessarily use this for holding down a root throughout a tune, but that's no fun for me anyway.

https://www.reverbnation.com/markcole7/song/27677693-kinetic-detective

Last edited:
Nice! That's how I want my Ric to sound- please find the patch and share - then, one happy pauly!
Thanks

My favorite bass presets use an IR of a Palmer speaker simulator on the grit channel of my Rick. I don't think the complex comb filtering of most IRs of real speakers sound as good on bass.

This recording uses one of my Rick presets. It's not for everyone, but I love it. Lots of midrange clarity as opposed to the scooped-mid tone many bassists prefer. Great for busy bass lines. I wouldn't necessarily use this for holding down a root throughout a tune, but that's no fun for me anyway.

https://www.reverbnation.com/markcole7/song/27677693-kinetic-detective

I'll post it this week, along with any user IRs used. To get that tone, you really have to dig in hard. My picking fingers were raw by the end of that recording; although I admit to having wimpy guitar player hands.

Cool bass sound.
We can use the Dephase option in the cab block.. to remove the spiky EQ curve in any IR file,to make it sound more like the Palmer thing :)

Just curious. How many of the bass players here use the Axe fx live?

And what is your setup then? Real cab and power amp or Axe as standalone with no external cab?

And what is your setup then? Real cab and power amp or Axe as standalone with no external cab?

Bass player for one of my bands uses Axe -> Power Amp -> Bass Cab.
Sounds crushing, but he's one of those guys that can always a great tone.
Second output of Axe FX directly to FOH.

I actually used one of our old recordings and did a Tone Match on the Axe (because he had this nice grindy RATM tone that I loved).
The Tone Match worked perfectly and sounded great pumped through a PA (FRFR). But the PA has monster subs, so it's not a typical 1x12 powered speaker situation.
Just making note that you 'can' run the Axe into FRFR for Bass and it can sound amazing. It just depends on if your FRFR solution can handle it.

FAS modeling is better for bass than anything I've come across: The available bass models cover the tried and true and can be morphed into anything else I can think of. Want a snappy low end on a 6-string into a Bassman? Instead of it flubbing out: You can make it tight with adjustments to the amp & cab blocks you can't even do in the real world. You can breathe some life into the lackluster response of a less than stellar instrument: or get into some dynamics enhancement or restraint for tap styles. No complaints here.

As others have noted: Available monitoring/speaker cabinet may impose a significant limitation on results: a bog standard bass cabinet or your garden variety PA and sub may be "workable" but are unlikely to show the FAS modeling to full advantage.

Yes, the AxeFxII is good for bass. I've never felt like my bass tone was lacking due to the AxeFxII being used for amp/cab modeling. Were they "great" tones?...that's for others to say. And the effects/routing/MIDI control are absolutely top notch.

I have other gripes - mainly that there are far too few bass amps/preamps/cabs represented, and it takes far too long to get anyone's attention WRT to new bass items.

The only reason I stopped gigging my AxeFxII rig is because I simply didn't NEED it, rarely used it, and can now happily gig with a small pedal that fits in a briefcase. Purely out of practical reasons, I stopped using the AxeFxII and sold it to a guitarist friend who gets 10x more use and satisfaction out of it these days.

I still recommend Fractal gear to bassists, with the above caveats noted about variety and bass-update time line.

Our bass player uses an AX8. He spent some hours in the recording studio of a friend to dial in his sounds.
They settled on the SVT amp model, without a cab block. That goes direct to FOH. On stage the same signal goes through his Mark Bass set, with controls set as flat as possible. His bass tone is massive and punchy.

On stage the same signal goes through his Mark Bass set, with controls set as flat as possible. His bass tone is massive and punchy.

Why does he use an amp model from the Axe fx when he plays on a real amp? seems double....

If it works it works... I have a mark bass head and it can be set to be very neutral.

Just like not using a bass cab [block]. Seems super weird to not use a cab block but it just works.

Why does he use an amp model from the Axe fx when he plays on a real amp? seems double....

He prefers the tone from the AX8. And he can use its effects. And use it at home and on trips and still have his sound.
Many bass players feed FOH through a line out or DI, so it’s not that strange to not use a cab block.

I’m not a bass player myself, but I do set up Axe live presets for for bass in the band I play with.

I personally find that very challenging, but not necessarily due to Axe FX limitations. Rather it’s difficult to judge the results before you actually play a gig and listen. The problem here is what to listen through. Studio monitors don’t reproduce these frequencies well. So you’re left to guess. Our rehearsal space has subs, but they aren’t particularly good, and the room has reflections. Everywhere I can listen to, I end up with muddy mess. So I overcompensate the missing attack and decrease the lowest frequencies too much. During the actual gig, it often turns into insufficient booming lows for the subs and bass sounding more like a guitar.

I can use a frequency analyzer, but it doesn’t say much about attack times.

Not sure how to solve this yet.

I personally find that very challenging, but not necessarily due to Axe FX limitations. Rather it’s difficult to judge the results before you actually play a gig and listen.

I agree. That's the main reason I still prefer a real amp for bass. Every venue has different acoustics or PA systems or monitors and most of the times on gigs it turns out different than at home or at rehearsals. It therefor is not very predictable and it is not easy to adjust on the fly. Therefor I prefer a more simple and predictable setup.

I've long held that bass guitar is the most difficult instrument (in a standard rock band format) to get to sound good and sit well in a live mix, both on stage and in the audience, whether the bass tone is being supported in the PA system or if only a stage rig carrying the room. Bass is a unique combination of tremendous dynamic range and broad frequency range. Context means EVERYTHING, and this is made more difficult in live settings depending on the room acoustics and stage/PA gear used.

I think the more successful live bass tones are derived from having a good understanding of the role of the bass within the group format, whatever that may be. If you're sounding more like YES or RUSH (bass is a featured instrument), then a mid-heavy tone with grind is exactly appropriate since excessive sub-low frequencies do nothing but create a muddy rumble beneath the notes you actually hear, which generally is undesirable. In this context, the prominent midrange content allows for more creative options in the tone since you can actually HEAR what the bass is doing much of the time. Have fun with this and go nuts!

OTOH, if you're generally in a pure "support" role, holding down the low end, locking rhythmically with the kick drum and leaving space for vocals and other instruments (which are creating the density of the mix), then a fairly garden variety, perhaps darker tone - which may even be an uninspired sounding tone in isolation - is entirely appropriate. This is not to lessen the value of the tone itself, but rather, in recognition of the bass instrument's limited SONIC role in a group context. In this case, timing, note selection, and creating simple-yet-elegant bass line compositions are far more important than laboring over a "signature" tone. I find that in these situations, the simplest of stage rigs and DI feeds to FOH is all that is needed, perhaps with the addition of some leveling compression.

So, in a nutshell, for bass parts that have lot of movement and latitude to move all around your neck, you'd be wise to consider using a HPF to reduce the rumble/mud. For support role bass tones, keep it simple, and make sure the mid/high end isn't stepping on the toes of other (treble) instruments, and create an otherwise very balanced, even tone, especially in the sub/low regions.

One final note: the simple dry/DI approach will really highlight the natural tone of your bass and electronics (pickups, tone controls, filters, etc.). You may want to spend some time auditioning basses for their inherent tone, and price point has NOTHING do do with whether a bass as a desirable or unique tone. I've heard some really great tones come out of $100 beginner basses (though quality of build, hardware, electronics, setup/intonation are a whole other matter).

I was using the Axe to play bass in my room, but didn't think it sounded as awesome as I would like through studio monitors. I got an Ampeg 112 combo that I like better for just playing around, and got a Zoom B1on that sounds good for headphone use. I am not saying that it is better, but it is nice to have something with 100ish presets set for bass, so I can just select a few and play, instead of tweaking.

I was using the Axe to play bass in my room, but didn't think it sounded as awesome as I would like through studio monitors. I got an Ampeg 112 combo that I like better for just playing around, and got a Zoom B1on that sounds good for headphone use. I am not saying that it is better, but it is nice to have something with 100ish presets set for bass, so I can just select a few and play, instead of tweaking.

+1

So, in a nutshell, for bass parts that have lot of movement and latitude to move all around your neck, you'd be wise to consider using a HPF to reduce the rumble/mud. For support role bass tones, keep it simple, and make sure the mid/high end isn't stepping on the toes of other (treble) instruments, and create an otherwise very balanced, even tone, especially in the sub/low regions.
Generally, I high-pass around 50Hz and low-pass around 4kHz. I use a PEQ block to make a cut in the 60Hz to 80Hz range to let the kick drum through. I'll also use a wide deep cut somewhere from 250Hz to 500Hz and maybe a cut between 160Hz to 200Hz. Slap on a little compression (fast attack and release) and I'm good to go. Seems like a lot, but not really.

Back
Top Bottom