Is the Axe a viable amp?

BigD1977

Power User
Here we all are, post FW10, with mostly positive results.

Among those negative ones, the common thread seems to be that the Axe sounds too much like the original amps, warts and all, from unpleasant fuzziness to unpleasant overtones. These all seem to be as a result of the MIMIC process getting the amps 'too correct'.

So the thought occurred to me that if we have warts-and-all representations of classic amps in the unit as of FW10, is there a case for 'fixing' those unpleasing artefacts? I'm not talking about FAS creations, like the FAS Modern, but using the old amps as a tone base, then removing the artefacts.

And if there is, will the Axe emulations eventually start to supercede the old amps and manufacturers?

In short, is the Axe not just an emulator, but a classic amp already?

Just a random musing! :)

D.

This is the beauty of the Axe, it can be whatever you want it to be and has been you just have to tune it the way you like. The fact that V10 has the amps acting too much like the originals is for the most part what most people wanted in the first place with out having to tune endlessly to get it.

A few people have already posted how to get rid of the natural reactions of V10 so again you have the flexibility to do as you wish with respect to your tones and how you want them to react to your playing style. So I guess it can be Classic or modern amp all at the same time :p .

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer amps with warts and all. Why you might ask??? Because what sound bad to you might sound outstanding to me; furthermore, those "defects" add character to each amp and make them unique. Kudos to FAS for striving for perfection!!!

Last edited:
people say modelers can't come close to a real tube amp, then FW 10 does and people start complaining about it being too much like tube amps...:roll

bunch of guitar diva's in here.

I was pondering the same type of thing this week as I was drooling over FW10. The Axe is certainly becoming close enough to the real thing to have a significant impact on the vintage and high-end amp market. Further, it doesn't just sound like A Dumble, Super Reverb, etc., it can sound like a specific copy of one of those amps, with whatever speakers you want. Line three vintage amps up side by side and they sound very different. No problem, just tweak some advanced parameters on the Axe and voila, you are within reach. I can easily see in V11 (when is that coming by the way?), we will have parameter settings to allow us to emulate a vintage amp that has been peed on by a German Shepherd.

The question I have is "does turning MIMIC off remove the warts?"

On the few amps I've tried so far, turning MIMIC off doesn't make a dramatic difference that I notice immediately through guitar cabs.

Theres no complaint here- my favorite model the Friedman BE still sounds great. The HBE defaults out more to my liking now too. I was just curious if disabling MIMIC is beneficial for people that preferred the airbrushed supermodels.

And really, who doesn't like airbrushed supermodels?

The question I have is "does turning MIMIC off remove the warts?"

On the few amps I've tried so far, turning MIMIC off doesn't make a dramatic difference that I notice immediately through guitar cabs.

Theres no complaint here- my favorite model the Friedman BE still sounds great. The HBE defaults out more to my liking now too. I was just curious if disabling MIMIC is beneficial for people that preferred the airbrushed supermodels.

And really, who doesn't like airbrushed supermodels?

I prefer real women that I might have a chance with. I AM a gorilla after all. :D:D:D

I don't think of my Axe as a modeler. I think of it as this "box" containing many fantastic amps, cabinets and all the FX I need.

Back
Top Bottom