Is the Atomic Reactor 50W active cab really a true FRFR?

Jos Pelkman

Hey all,

I recently bought a secondhand Atomic Reactor active cab.
At home I connect my AX8 via Out1 to my KRK's 8" speakers and the sound is just amazing!
Through out2 I connect to my active Atomic Reactor (Out2 = Echo Out1).

I know that I cannot get the exact same sound between the KRK's and the Atomic but I find it a really huge difference.
I tried several settings using the output2 equalizer but not getting the result I want.

Maybe my expectations were to big thinking the Atomic is a true FRFR? :-/

I look forward to your comments.

Jos

Going from memory, I think it was described as full range, but the tube circuit affected the sound some. Older modelers were thought to need tube warming up. There are probably some 5 year old threads on the amp on this forum. I had one of the 18 watt amps, never cared for it too much, try running an mp3 of music into it and see how it sounds, might give you a bit of reference.

I still have a 50 watt tube Atomic Reactor cab. In its time, it was one the best options out there for a stage-worthy cabinet. It still sounds decent, but it doesn't stand up in comparison with my NX12SMA, as I am sure it would be with the CLR and other FRFR options out there today. Neither will it sound better than my Presonus Scepter S8s, or another good studio monitor pair. However, at stage volumes, it still sounds ok with presets worked up using it.

In answer to your specific question, no, it probably wouldn't qualify as true FRFR compared to the current "best of class" speakers. But it's usable if you set up and EQ the presets you want to use with it on the speaker itself.

And how do you set tweeter level?

I remember that back in time, when I've been using Reactor wedge, I often turned tweeter down a bit, forgot about it an tried to compensate highs in the modeler - which i think was awkward.

Great cab, nonetheless.

I still have a 50 watt tube Atomic Reactor cab. In its time, it was one the best options out there for a stage-worthy cabinet. It still sounds decent, but it doesn't stand up in comparison with my NX12SMA, as I am sure it would be with the CLR and other FRFR options out there today. Neither will it sound better than my Presonus Scepter S8s, or another good studio monitor pair. However, at stage volumes, it still sounds ok with presets worked up using it.

In answer to your specific question, no, it probably wouldn't qualify as true FRFR compared to the current "best of class" speakers. But it's usable if you set up and EQ the presets you want to use with it on the speaker itself.

Yes it absolutely sounds decent, that's for sure! But I have to admit that I am considering trying something else to get, as close as possible, to my studio monitors. But I could never afford a NX12SMA or a CLR.

What could be a nice alternative? I recently saw the Headrush FRFR (looks very similar like the Alto)

Any advice here? It's pretty difficult I must say.

And how do you set tweeter level?

I remember that back in time, when I've been using Reactor wedge, I often turned tweeter down a bit, forgot about it an tried to compensate highs in the modeler - which i think was awkward.

Great cab, nonetheless.

I have the tweeter at noon or slightly less. It's definitely a great cab, too bad it's not as flat as I want it to be.

Any advice here? It's pretty difficult I must say.
I’ve tried a few other options, mostly intended as full range stage monitors, with less than stellar results to my ear. I’ve heard many suggestions, and you could search the forum as there are tons of posts on the subject. In my own less-than-scientific method, it seems the coaxial speaker systems have been my favorites, with the RCF and Scepter being that, as is the current forum favorite, the CLR. I’m not sure what others are out there using that speaker design.

Last edited:

love RCF's

Back
Top Bottom