Is the ASM-12 loud enough to practice with a rock band?

Simple question dudes. I'm looking into a live setup for my Axe-fx II and I'm curious. I hear a lot of reviews, but I'm looking for something that I'll be able to play full out rock on with a bass, drummer, possibly another guitar. Will it be loud enough to compete in that situation? I've heard people say they're plenty loud, and it would be the most efficient use of my money (I think). So let me hear it. :D

I don't play in a band and haven't played in a jam session or anything so can't really comment on that part of it, but I think it would be definitely loud enough for that. I have mine up halfway and can't turn my Axe-FX II knob up past the 9'oclock position or it starts getting really loud. One of these days I need to crank it and just hit a chord but I'm scared to. :) It really rattles the walls already. :) There are a few others here that have played it cranked. I just have one right now but definitely want to get a second. It sounds so good now, I can't even imagine having two in stereo.

Absolutely it is. I found its limit the other night. Volume on the ASM up full with the output level knob on the axe fx at 12 oclock. (Cameron CCV Amp sim master volume at 12 oclock and the level at -12.2db). This just barley tickled the clip light on the Friedman. I couldnt stand infront of it at this volume. It was painful but it sounded epic. lol.

Absolutely it is. I found its limit the other night. Volume on the ASM up full with the output level knob on the axe fx at 12 oclock. (Cameron CCV Amp sim master volume at 12 oclock and the level at -12.2db). This just barley tickled the clip light on the Friedman. I couldnt stand infront of it at this volume. It was painful but it sounded epic. lol.

What he said :encouragement: I was there, and it was big...

I will be using it this coming Thursday night at band prac, and I will know then how it stacks up in band environment. I did that last week but I wasn't happy with my patches.. We tweaked them the other night at 'band' or 'loud' volume rather than practice volume, so I can't wait to crank it again with the band, with better patches.

FWIW to know, the other guitarist in the band uses his 100w JCM900, so it'll be a fair comparison to hear and see how his 100w Marshall compares to my ASM :mrgreen. Will keep you guys posted..

Thanks guys. That eases some concern I had on the matter. I know some have said that their frfr solutions have kind of failed to compete in a jam situation, so this is a big help. Cheers!

Thanks guys. That eases some concern I had on the matter. I know some have said that their frfr solutions have kind of failed to compete in a jam situation, so this is a big help. Cheers!

Not sure if this will help or not..

From what I've been able to ascertain from reading various posts and threads of FRFR users, is that most FRFR users seem to like or prefer having a FRFR speaker/cab etc with scooped mids, or a mid-scooped sound.. I can't understand why. I tried out a Mackie HD-1221 the other day which I was lucky enough to A/B with my ASM and my ASM literally ate it in every way. I wanted to try the 1221's because I remember reading somewhere that Animals As leaders and Misha & Co use them quite a bit (or DID use them), so I wanted to know what all the fuss was about.

One last recommendation about the ASM, should you choose to go down that path. Gary and I had ours cracked up the other night and they sounded awesome. Definitely have it at 'band volume' so that you can then dial in your sounds and tweak your patches. (This is something that we should all do, if I'm not mistaken). Doing it at home where you can't crank it up won't give you a realistic idea of what you'll get at band volume. Things change from bedroom volume to band volume. A couple times I turned my back to the ASM and just played away. After a few minutes (when I was in my own world), I turned around subconsciously and when I saw the ASM, for a second there I thought I was playing through a cab. It goes without say that if you wanna be heard in the mix, why scoop your mids, OR, why have a cab/speaker where the mids have little or no presence? Rest assured, you'll fcuking hear this thing, and so will your band!

Fortunately I'm in a place where I can periodically turn it up to rehearsal volume to dial things in. I'm curious to see how my IRs will translate on a larger frfr enclosure. People keep saying the thing sounds like a cab, so how does it work when you load a close mic IR into it?

I'm not questioning it. I'm just wondering how the physics of it work. Does it drastically change the sounds of your IRs?

I would say that any situation in which any leading FRFR system doesn't provide enough volume is a situation in which permanant damage is being done to one's auditory system. All of these systems easily produce output levels which far exceed the a safe time/intensity noise dose per OSHA standards. In other words, mandates state an individual can not be exposed to these type of intensity levels as part of their job duties without the use of hearing protection. Well, for many musicians, music is in fact their job, and they are in fact doing significant harm to their auditory system which can be expected to result in conditions such as hearing loss and tinnitus.

Instead of trying to add a second FRFR system to compete with excessively loud band mates, why not instead have everyone else turn down ?

Granted noise induced hearing loss is good for my business as an audiologist, however, I also see quite a few musicians who are now extremely bothered by things like constant tinnitus and whom attribute it directly to high stage and rehearsal volumes. They really wish looking that they took more precautions to protect their hearing.

2 monitors is awesome for enjoying the stereo spread of some Axe patches, but 2 just to get louder, when one already shakes the walls, is in my professional opinion harmful.

For the record, I'm not talking about needing to be loud to the point of causing hearing damage. I've just heard dudes say that they've had issues with FRFR systems cutting through on top of drums and a, let's say, half stack or even 212 at band practice volume. They just said their guitar sounded weak or not as present in the mix as everybody. That's why I was curious about the ASM-12: lots of reports from people saying it "fills the room" like a cab, but still maintains the benefits of the FRFR solution.

And of course at loud volumes I'll be wearing ear protection. You can't exactly tell a drummer with an acoustic kit to just "turn it down". It's a rock band, for gosh sakes. It's going to get loud. :D

Time to hijack the thread temporarily! But really, it'll add to the discussion I think :D

I'm extremely new to the whole FRFR thing, and only recently have I even come to terms with selling my old Mesa rig in favor of the Axe-FX, so forgive my potentially silly question.

To those who own the ASM-12...I'm used to playing through my Mesa 4x12, both for pleasure and practice (without the IR of course), but I've been looking into an FRFR solution for my bedroom so I can take advantage of the IRs for honing a tone when I intend to run through someone's PA instead of my speakers, but also so I don't have to keep moving my 4x12 back into my bedroom (the 4x12 can just stay in the practice room then).

My question is; Will one ASM be enough to have things "feel right" when I'm playing, compared to what I'm used to? And will the tones I create through the ASM translate well to a PA?

Edit: I'm a guitar player by trade, but I also play bass in a band. With the ASM do justice/survive the low end bass tone?

Last edited:
My question is; Will one ASM be enough to have things "feel right" when I'm playing, compared to what I'm used to? And will the tones I create through the ASM translate well to a PA?

Edit: I'm a guitar player by trade, but I also play bass in a band. With the ASM do justice/survive the low end bass tone?

In short, yes absolutely.. Also, refer posts #2 and #3.. I'm using my ASM in a band with another guitarist who switches between using his 15w Tiny Terror AND his JCM900 100w. My ASM keeps up with him no problem, as well as a bass player who's rig looks like a refrigerator (8x10) AND a hard-hitting drummer. Dare I say, the other guitarist's rig needs to keep up with mine..

If you wanna be greedy and bask in all your own glory and have your band members give you dirty looks :)mrgreen), get another one like xbearxau wants to!!

Back
Top Bottom