Is something wrong with my Axe-Fx II or me?

BTW, here’s a link to the presets in the example. My all time favourites on AxeChange.

https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/...ike+spreitzer+&fields=all&products=0&setups=0

All have 4-5 scenes.

I still think it’s all about the IR’s and when you find the one that’s right for you, it’s a real lightbulb moment.

Thank you! I've been going through a ton of different IRs, so far OwnHammer's have been my favorite but I have yet to find "the one".

But whatever I did genuinely fixed the problem. The only question is WHAT that problem was and how I can avoid it in the future.

Okay, so before I could even get to this preset to compare, I made two changes that somehow changed everything:

I reinstalled the Ares 2.0 firmware, but this was the second time I reinstalled it - it fixed nothing the first time.
I started the Axe up without plugging it into my laptop via USB to use Axe-Edit

Whatever I did, it now sounds incredible. It's like I just now got it in the mail and started it up for the first time with no issues. I've been sitting here playing with all the different amps and cabs, and they all sound incredibly realistic compared to the soulless garbage they all were before.

So it was either the firmware, or the USB connection?
Do you mind posting a new audio clip to show the difference and satisfy my curiosity?

I think i may have the same problem. Tough time finding tones, they all sound allot like free amp sims.
Axe Fx 3 though.
RifferMcDuck maybe i should try the same thing you did.
So it sounds awesome now ?
reinstall firmware, and then unplug usb and start up the Axe?

I think i may have the same problem. Tough time finding tones, they all sound allot like free amp sims.
Axe Fx 3 though.
RifferMcDuck maybe i should try the same thing you did.
So it sounds awesome now ?
reinstall firmware, and then unplug usb and start up the Axe?

I also have the AFX3 now and it does indeed sound awesome, and I can't imagine a day when I thought it sounded like an amp sim. I honestly don't know what I changed exactly, I ended up replacing all my pickups, cables, upgrading to the 3, etc.

But if your AFX3 is brand new, there's likely nothing wrong with it, especially if your signals are solid and you've gone through the basic troubleshooting. At that point, speaking from experience, I'd pay close attention to which IRs you're using. To this day, I still don't like the majority of stock IRs, and basically only use one or two for everything. But I went through that feeling you have, so I'm definitely willing to help you break out of it too.

I've had the same issue of low gain as the folks reported here, and it was driving me insane. What finally solved it was changing the input mode, from Stereo to Left Only. Essentially, the unit was halving my input, even though the front LED were blinking red. The reason why I had it in stereo was that I was using it to reamp from my laptop, and wanted my headphones to be stereo, and Left Only was making them mono. Hope this helps other folks in the same situation!

You think so? I just bought them recently :(
It could be the speaker size. For me 8 inches is the lowest I can get used to for frequencies response on the low end. I still need a sub to fill in the low end to get the full sound through FRFR monitors. It's acceptable without a sub but better with. Maybe get a suborder or bigger monitors. Some say 5 inch monitors are enough but it depends on what you are playing.

Back
Top Bottom