Is something wrong with my Axe FX 2?

OK guys... You're scaring the hell out of me. I'm a new owner of the Axe FX II as well. I've had mine for maybe two months. I've planned to wait to update to the new firmware after the bugs have been addressed and Axe Edit is updated since I use Axe Edit a lot.

Is this issue of the Axe FX freezing up due to updating the firmware or possibly doing something improperly? I've never updated the firmware so I'd really appreciate it if FAS would chime into why these units are freezing up. This shouldn't be happening!!! Give us some suggestions or some reason why these units are freezing, PLEASE!!!

Last edited:
OK guys... You're scaring the hell out of me. I'm a new owner of the Axe FX II as well. I've had mine for maybe two months. I've planned to wait to update to the new firmware after the bugs have been addressed and Axe Edit is updated since I use Axe Edit a lot.

Is this issue of the Axe FX freezing up due to updating the firmware or possibly doing something improperly? I've never updated the firmware so I'd really appreciate it if FAS would chime into why these units are freezing up. This shouldn't be happening!!! Give us some suggestions or some reason why these units are freezing, PLEASE!!!

All I was doing when the freeze happened to me was editing a preset with the Axe-Fx's front panel controls (I wasn't using Axe-Edit and the Axe-Fx wasn't connected to my computer). It was one of Mark Day's presets, so I blame him. :mrgreen

Ha Ha! I have never even used anyone's preset at all. I have done updates before. When I got mine it had 5.06 and then I went from 6 to 6.02 and then 7 when this happened. To be honest I have no idea what happened. All I know is I completed the firmware update and when I was told to power off wait 5 seconds I did and then turned the unit back on. This is when things got screwy. I feel better knowing that I may get another unit it deemed unfixable in a short period of time. Thanks shredi knight for your input. I was thinking I wouldn't see a unit for at least a month or two. BTW this was the official 7.0 version not the beta one.

Thanks shredi knight for your input. I was thinking I wouldn't see a unit for at least a month or two....

You're welcome, and I know the feeling. I was so damned depressed that I had to send my Axe-Fx back, having no idea how long it would be before I would have one again. I was at my computer everyday following UPS tracking to see when it arrived at Fractal, then trying to decide how many days I should to wait before sending an Email asking what the diagnosis was on it. The very next morning after they recieved it I had an Email saying, "You order has shipped". A big relief (now i'm back to watching UPS tracking, saying "Come on Monday!!!!" :lol).

It happened on mine when I was practising the guitar. I did not update to any firmware version nor was I changing presets/parameters or whatever ( I was not near the unit). All of a sudden I hear a loud pop and the Axe-Fx 2 was dead.
Since an hour ago the new PSU (and silent fan) arrived and I just mounted both: it seemed to solved the problem. I am up and running again.

Well... To say reading these posts, right before I planned to install 7.0 did not fill me with ease to go ahead and do my first firmware update. But I went ahead and did it and it was smooth and flawless. I'm really sorry to hear of your units going bad on you guys. I can only imagine how you feel. I really wish we could all get to the bottom of why the units are failing.

Hang in there!

Matt replied to me about my unit this morning. I asked him what the average turn around time was, and he said "1-2 days". So I'm hoping that since UPS ground from Boston to NH only takes one day, and I'll ship it on Monday, they'll have it Tuesday, and maybe with a little luck I'll have it back by Friday, the same day my newest Suhr Modern arrives. I sure hope so, because I have nothing else to play through since I sold all my other amps long ago when I bought my Ultra, and I sold that when I got the II.

16123_08092012_005.jpg

Back
Top Bottom