Is someone experiencing student loan hardship if they can afford an Axe-Fx?

Is someone experiencing student loan hardship if they can afford an Axe-Fx?

• No

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Yes, but the Axe-Fx is worth it

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
it sucks though. so many went the "loan" route that they were encouraged to do in college... now they have a degree and all this debt... and no jobs in their field of study!

yes it sucks. High school should have made them smart enough to know that college doesn't promise them a job. I do not feel there debit is my problem. Now Myself and the other hard working tax payers will cover there loans for them, because they were forced to burrow money to go to college. free school, live with mom, have three monitors on the desk, play video games all day, and guitar through an axe fx. Oh ohwes me I cant find a job wile I am sitting here on my dead ars!

If that guy can afford all of those toys, he can pay his loans. Aside from that, I draw a distinction between the traditional universities and some of these "technical" schools which fill up the commercial airwaves. The ones that promise plenty of high paying jobs for legal assistants, dental assistants, IT techs, aircraft mechanics, etc. If those types of schools are promising jobs after graduation and they fail to deliver, the solution is to sue those schools not Sallie Mae.

It's an important part of western society...
You are forced to borrow heaps of money to get an education so you can get a good job.
You get a good job and start paying back the loan with iterest.
You buy a home and sign up to another 30 years of debt to borrow
After 30 years you have paid your house and student loan but must sell it to fund your health care.
You die poor in a plblic hospital in the same room as a bunch of other poor souls in the same predicament.....
- even though you paid the govt and the banks for your whole life.

And that's the good story!

At least the government and banks are happy.

Pauly

I think someone can have a life outside of school and who knows, maybe he worked his ass off at a part time job to get it? besides this isn't a student, it's Shia Labeouf in between films. :p
People are led to believe college is the way, then you dedicate 4 years, get in debt possibly for life and still can't find a job!!? While the government that you're indebted to, allows more and more jobs to leave the country. It's bad anyway you look at it :(

I wonder if lot of people over-borrow in order to have student loans be their "income" for a few years. I kind of considered doing that 20 years ago when I was in college, just to get a bit of extra money for a Pentium computer (this was back when a Pentium was the uber-machine). I wound up working a job I hated for 8 months at home, but saved enough that, along with a part-time job and teaching fellowship, I managed to graduate with minimal debt. I imagine a lot's changed since then.

I draw a distinction between the traditional universities and some of these "technical" schools which fill up the commercial airwaves. The ones that promise plenty of high paying jobs for legal assistants, dental assistants, IT techs, aircraft mechanics, etc. If those types of schools are promising jobs after graduation and they fail to deliver, the solution is to sue those schools not Sallie Mae.

The most significant difference in outcomes for students attending vocational / technical schools and, say, the overwhelming majority of liberal arts majors (to pick on one area) at traditional universities is that the former have some chance of actually acquiring marketable skills. The latter, not so much.

I went to school (Aerospace Engineering + Engineering Physics dual major, Math + Psych minors) and took out loans. I then got a job far removed from my schooling, but still paid off my loans in 6 years. But. I had no real "toys" beyond ones I paid for in cash before college. Just put every penny I could towards my debts to pay them off as quickly as possible. For me, I choose my majors based on where I could get a job doing something I love. I then chose a different career path making probably slightly less money, but doing something a good bit more enjoyable. Not everyone is lucky enough to be drawn to a field of work that pays well. But, I would hope that people would be able to look at what a degree would cost them (in total!) and then look at what kind of realistic income they can expect from said degree (super easy to do with sites like glassdoor.com).

As a person that sits in on a lot of hiring decisions (not a manager, but a respected team member who gives yes/no calls to the managers), I see a lot of people with questionable degrees asking absurd amounts of money. They get offended when we crash them back down to reality with what their job/experience/schooling is worth in the corporate world. It sucks that, let's call them artists, are not more respected and are unable to easily make a decent living. But that's the world we live in right now, and we all have to face that reality.

Or not - and ask/demand someone else bail you out.

The most significant difference in outcomes for students attending vocational / technical schools and, say, the overwhelming majority of liberal arts majors (to pick on one area) at traditional universities is that the former have some chance of actually acquiring marketable skills. The latter, not so much.

<raises hand> I'm a liberal arts major and have worked as a computer programmer since '99.

Student loans seem like a broken tools because they're part of an education system based on decentralization, where all the stakeholders have different objectives and are thus all working at cross-purposes.

Government needs to be seen to be "doing something" about unemployment here, labour shortages there, social justice, etc. - but they don't want to pay for it, since they'll get crucified for any spending increases. Student loans then seem very appealing; they're providing "opportunity", and recovering most of the cost of the program by charging interest on the loans (at least in theory).

To students, they seem really appealing too; students can easily look up a bunch of numbers on the internet and see that the increased earning power from getting a degree greatly eclipses the cost of a loan. Also in theory.

Colleges, of course, just want those admissions numbers and all that "liquefied, mortgaged future" AKA "money" that the system has made available to them. And, yes, many of them are happy to say whatever they have to get it.

Since no one is managing the system as a whole, it's very easy for the money to be spent on education that has little or no market value when the student finally completes their degree. Kids, being kids, frequently make wrong decisions about what field to go into. The system has no mechanism turn job market projections into college intake quotas, and the loans system is generally very punitive toward students who dare change their minds especially after finishing a degree they find isn't as valuable as they've been lead to believe.

It's just one of those things we don't do so well in North America...

In Sweden it's a bit different... All education up to and including university is free.
what you borrow money for is not the education really, but living expenses during your studies
and books etc, but there's no tuition fees as such.

Most (almost all) take student loans, and we end up with probably an average of at least 30.000USD,
but as this is paid over like 50 years or so, it's not really a financial burden unless you're really scraping by,
and you can apply to get your payments "frozen" until such time you can afford to pay them again.

Sweden, Finland, Norway...nordic Europa is a model for the rest of countries, not only for your education policies but the rest of life areas: health, payroll, culture, reconciling work and family life (children), ecology...
I think the key is a great ethical sense in all social strats and honest politicians that talk and legislate in interest of people against big corporations.
Because is what had become Universities in many countries: corporations in the bad sense of the term.
In Spain we still suffer the consequences of the house prices bubble. In my country people's mentalllity prefers to buy the house instead of rent (in the rest of Europe the correlation is more equal). Between 2000 and 2006 if you walked into a bank they put the red carpet under your feets, if you needed a certain amount of money for buy your house they accepted the loan and don't make any questions, instead they offered you to increase the amount of the loan for furnish, buy a parking area...I not only blame the banks, working people here become little crazy and think that they can buy a house, make some minor upgrades during weekends and sell it in 6 months for 150% the price they payed...house prices begin to go up in a surrealistic way...a few saw the thing coming: system collapse. Now house prices are on the floor but nobody can buy them because credit is closed. This situation has already extended many years and we don't see the light yet.
I know that students loan is different stuff, but the origin of the problem is the same: who offers the loan have poor ethics, who receives the loan is greedy/unrealistic and the legal environtment is not well designed. And when finally the system brokes the most suffering people is the weak.
I think this axeII boy is anecdotical, there must be an invisible crowd of humble people who feel cheated.

Last edited:
I agree with Bernie Sanders and many others that our student loan system is corrupt and just a way for the rich to get richer, as is most of our economy. If I were in this particular guy's shoes, I would consider selling of any non-essentials to the career of choice and getting a second or third job until my debt was paid down. My wife and lived well below our means for a couple of decades while I was in the Army before we could afford (meaning pay cash) for the things we wanted. The only debt we carry now is mortgage and we just bought a new car, the first in over ten years.

I'm 28 and worked a side job for my suhr and axe fx. Now I just have a shit ton of student debt but I'm not selling my guitar or axefx.

Kids, being kids, frequently make wrong decisions about what field to go into

This is a issue everywhere nowadays. Maybe as parents we should have taught them more about boundaries and realism. It's great to dream about being a certain thing, but eating and a roof are great too, although not as exciting to think about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom