Is "Sat Auth" supposed to do something?

AdmiralB

Inspired
I generally don't use saturation, but I played around with it tonight and found that, no matter which amp or how it was set up, "auth" did nothing at all. "Ideal" worked...well, like I remember it working in the past.

authentic in the amp block seems to add saturation compared to none in my axe, but some of the ideal saturations do not sound much different than authentic with some amps IMO.

That control changes how the saturation switch works. Only thing you should notice is a change in volume, depending on the amp. I don't ever use sat, though, so I can't give you more help.

From the wiki...

• Amp block Sat Switch now has three settings: Off, On (Auth) and On (Ideal). On (Auth) replicates authentic saturation circuit behavior and will lower the volume out of the virtual preamp. On (Ideal) replicates the idealized behavior present in Version 14.xx and earlier firmware.

When I go from SAT off to SAT AUTH, there is no audible effect...at all. When I go to SAT IDEAL, I get the extra clipping and a volume boost.

I assume this mimics the head-to-toe diodes that people put in amps in the late '80s/'90s...when you engage it, you get some extra distortion but a volume drop. IDEAL is supposed to counter that volume drop.

It just doesn't seem to work. Unless it only works on certain amps, and I've just been unlucky enough to not find one that does work.

Works correctly here.

Works for me on 17.02

I just played the first service this morning, and we decided to do an acoustic set. I'm running my Takamine through my rack.

I decided the Tube Pre with drive on 1.5, tones at noon, and Sat On IDEAL, was the tone I was hoping for. It's almost like an Ovation sound.

No cab block in line. a little verb, delay, and chorus at times. Even layered some multi-delay with the the plex setting that I love, at times.

SONIC HEAVEN.

But the point is, I have the SAT Ideal on and it is a huge difference. Most of the time (but not all), there is a volume drop when I use Sat Authentic, versus OFF, and a boost when using Ideal.

i use the boost, not usually saturation so i checked it out and yes, i get the same result as AdmiralB; authentic setting does nothing

I have a dress rehearsal this afternoon for the Christmas Eve service. We play 4 times on Christmas Eve, with about 2,000 people attending each service.

I have saturation on a modifier, and toggle it off, authentic, ideal to suit my sonic needs. I programmed everything over the past 4 weeks, and practiced yesterday for 4 hours.

My Sat is working.

When I go from SAT off to SAT AUTH, there is no audible effect...at all. When I go to SAT IDEAL, I get the extra clipping and a volume boost.

I assume this mimics the head-to-toe diodes that people put in amps in the late '80s/'90s...when you engage it, you get some extra distortion but a volume drop. IDEAL is supposed to counter that volume drop.

It just doesn't seem to work. Unless it only works on certain amps, and I've just been unlucky enough to not find one that does work.

It works here, I used FAS Lead 2.

It is very amp dependent. Double verb does nothing, there is a tiny change in ac-15 (no vol drop though), HBE works as you would expect. I imagine it depends on the topology of the amp.

I imagine it depends on the topology of the amp.

Yes, it works on the HBE. It doesn't work on any Fender model that I've found, nor any of the NMV Marshalls.

It seems like a bug. If "ideal" just compensates for the volume drop, then there's no reason that it would work on these models, but "auth" would not.

And NMV Marshalls were "the" amp on which this mod was done...so if it doesn't work on those, something is wrong.

Works for me on 17.02 ... I use it in almost every med to higain patch ... Usually AUT ... It lowers the output a LOT and "drive" a little more the Virtual Pre .
IDEAL is saturation with volume and a different behavior

Honestly is impossible to say that this is doing "nothing" ... It's perceivable even a super bedroom levels

Yes, it works on the HBE. It doesn't work on any Fender model that I've found, nor any of the NMV Marshalls.

It seems like a bug. If "ideal" just compensates for the volume drop, then there's no reason that it would work on these models, but "auth" would not.

And NMV Marshalls were "the" amp on which this mod was done...so if it doesn't work on those, something is wrong.

Ideal doesn't just compensate for the volume drop. It is not 100% accurate to the mod. That is why authentic was added in the first place. There was no ideal after Cliff changed it, he passed the ideal back after many requests for it.

Works for me on 17.02 ... I use it in almost every med to higain patch ... Usually AUT ... It lowers the output a LOT and "drive" a little more the Virtual Pre .
IDEAL is saturation with volume and a different behavior

Honestly is impossible to say that this is doing "nothing" ... It's perceivable even a super bedroom levels

Try it on the double verb.

Works correctly here as well as far as I can tell, there's a definite audible difference using (angle severe)
when I switched to a fender model it didn't make a difference (at least at bedroom level) just like
Sean Strickland said in a previous post.

There's a very noticeable volume drop when going from (off) to (auth) ... then the volume comes back in (ideal)

I'm using latest firmware on axe fx II mark II

Like he said...try it with a Fender. Or a NMV Marshall.

Topology shouldn't matter, unless there's so much gain that the added distortion isn't noticeable. It should be quite pronounced with clean preamp settings...regardless of amp.

Back
Top Bottom