Is pickslating usless, this guy say YES

juanpmoran

Inspired
Is pickslating usless, this guy say YES.

I agree with pick edging, but i see lot of professionals using pickslanting, should i avoid it or use it?

Meh.. I take all the experts advice on playing with a grain of salt. It's MUSIC !!!! There's not one RIGHT way or WRONG way!
DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU !!

From a purely mechanical perspective, I'm not into speed playing.. but that's me.

@s0c9 is 100% correct. This idea that one method is either right or wrong is hogwash. If it doesn't work for them, that's cool. Doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. Take a look at Marty Friedman's picking motion. Is that 'proper' technique? I'd wager that 99.9999% of instructors out there would correct him. He's a great player and it works for him.

Use whatever technique gives you the results you want but don't be obstinate about it either, be willing to change if necessary. Feel free to explore other ways to accomplish the same thing and find what works for you. One can make a case through physics and give scientific reasons why one technique may be more efficient but that doesn't mean it will be the best way for every player.

I know for me pick slanting does work. I've gone through a couple of periods recently were I haven't picked up the guitar for a week or two. When I come back to it my playing sometimes feels clunky, especially alternate picking, this actually happened to me just yesterday and I remembered the pick slanting techniques that I had been messing with a while back and I found it instantly cleared up the clunky awkward pick movement. I know, sounds like a commercial but mechanically it makes sense and works for me.

Works for me. I don't use it all the time, but I find places where it really helps and that is where I use it. I just think of it as another tool/technique I can use for fast or more intricate parts.

As others have pointed out, there is no one best way. In my experience, every picking technique has its application and is valid and worth studying.

If you just want unadulterated speed, then by that terminology ('pick slanting') would slow me down. But maybe not you. I have a very personal and unique way of playing fast that incorporates hybrid picking (kinda like hillbilly metal or something) and my approach puts my pick in a naturally edgy LOL position for me.

John 5 has a crazy picking style - big sweeps - I don't know how he plays so fast - but he does it - all in what works best for you.

I learned about the pick slanting approaches from the Troy Grady courses also. I hadn't given a lot of thought to picking mechanics prior to that, but this really made sense to me, and I think this approach has made me a more consistent player. Not necessarily faster, but results are more repeatable :)

16th notes at 200bpm rare in the rock/metal guitar world?

That's about where Eric Johnson tops out and he's far from a blazing fast rock guitarist.

Last edited:
At the beginning of the year I decided to focus on picking technique, someone here (sorry don't recall who...but thanks!) posted a link to Troy's site and I quickly went through all of the content. Some people want to know what time it is...While others want to know how the watch works....I'm the latter and Troy's site was eye opening. As said earlier, it's obvious in retrospect...but not exactly intuitive. Troys explanation of the mechanical efficiency made perfect sense, so I was determined to switch to one way pick slanting exclusively (combined with the string switching rules) it was unnatural and slow at first, but after a week or so with metronome at very slow rates..it clicked. The moment it clicked was just as troy described his experience...suddenly things I could never hope to play at speed were within my reach and my outlook on the instrument changed completely. Then after a couple of weeks working on the mechanics, I discovered Claus Levin's youtube channel...That guy is on another level and I'm not talking about his picking technique (amazing as it is). His ability to convey info (and motivate) was exactly what I needed. Troy got me to understand the mechanics and Claus filled in what Troy doesn't go into...How to practice them. Between the two of them, it has changed everything for me. Clearly, there is no "one way" and what works for some does not for others as evidenced by the great players with varying technique. But I can say unequivocally, that it made a enormous difference for me, I only wish I had learned this years ago.

Back
Top Bottom