Is now a good time to buy into the Axe FX II platform?

I bought my Mk 1 used almost 2 years ago. It's still a workhorse and does everything I need it too. I had a serious case of GAS over the past 4 years that lead me to buy 5 amps, 18 guitars, some pedals, and an Eleven Rack. Each purchase was in pursuit of a tone that I felt like I was missing. I realize now that if I had started off with the Axe Fx 2, I would have saved a lot of money. I now use a handful of presets that can do everything I want. Take the plunge.

I can't really see what they could add to the Axe 3 (if there is even one coming) that would make you unhappy about purchasing an XL+
I honestly don't think the hardware is holding back the modelling at all.
I think the XL+ is future proofed enough to continue with updates for years to come.
They only think I can possibly see them making advancements on is form factor, weight and possibly IO options like a dedicated Dry output or something....

Rocktober sale. Buy now.
(The sooner the IIxl inventory is gone, the sooner they can unleash the III ;)

Best guitar gear I’ve ever purchased.

The “secret” is in the software not the HW, other than you need the proprietary black box to run said software.

Also, Axe fx xl+ ($1999) and axe8 ($1199) on sale now for Rocktober.

But it is of little impact to me and my enjoyment if you pass on such a killer rig. YMMV.

This makes it a no brainer.... skip the used, get the new at a reduced price with warranty.

Buy now, enjoy, and learn to use the unit. If and when a III comes out, you will have experience working with a professional quality modeling unit should you decide to buy a III.

Plus, as others have stated, its not like the current generation will suddenly sound bad when/if a new model comes out.

Imagine being the one who went for the first Axe FX 2, you're now owning an obsolete product with less upgrade functionality.

Not sure I'd call the first Axe FX 2 obsolete. It's still the same basic platform as the newest iteration. If you were to record an album with the Mk I and the XL+ they'd sound exactly the same (provided the MK I has kept up with firmware updates). The XL+ is the culmination of a number of iterative upgrades that make things definitely nicer for the end user, but it's not a complete generation leap like the II was to the Standard/Ultra.

I'd say getting an XL+ is a good deal now, especially given the recent sale price. I halfway through about flipping my MK II on Reverb and taking advantage of the sale, to be honest (I likely won't given my recent vintage Marshall purchase). Also, when the III is announced, there's no telling if it will be the same leap in modeling that going from Standard/Ultra was to the II.

Last edited:
There's a lot of players still enjoying and gigging the Ultra so if I could afford it, I'd take the plunge on a used II or XL+. My philosophy is buy the best available I can afford at the time and enjoy it to the fullest.

I can't really see what they could add to the Axe 3 (if there is even one coming) that would make you unhappy about purchasing an XL+
I honestly don't think the hardware is holding back the modelling at all.
I think the XL+ is future proofed enough to continue with updates for years to come.

This depends on how you use the device. Amp modeling itself might not improve (although who knows, it might benefit from extra oversampling, longer IRs or what not). However, I/O capabilities, number of simultaneous effect instances may benefit greatly from that hypothetical processing power boost. In some scenarios it would be extremely useful.

Not to mention that convenience may increase as well, and it also hits the hardware limitations now in some areas, IMO.

Do you guys think an AXE Fx III is in the near future? or is there a reason for one!!!!
the only reasons i can think of, it's right there in front of you from fx users telling them what they want.
i have noticed a few things
1st) the led display needs more modern iphone like quality display maybe with a
picture reference to the modelling or amps being recreated..
2nd) i keep seeing guitar pros saying they need extrà units because the computational capabilities was not enough for them.
just wondering why that is.
i noticed some chips are like 500 mhz or something . i am sure they could get like at least 1 giga bites just wonderìng.
3rd) there are sounds and enhancements out there yet to be included.
4th) there are some yet some improvements that are of the physical type like line isolation power regulators that can benefit the unit. for hums and hissès.
just my opinion do you think its reasonable.

Do you guys think an AXE Fx III is in the near future? or is there a reason for one!!!!
the only reasons i can think of, it's right there in front of you from fx users telling them what they want.
i have noticed a few things
1st) the led display needs more modern iphone like quality display maybe with a
picture reference to the modelling or amps being recreated..

Would it be helpful? Yes. But most people just use Axe Edit to program their unit. And you can do so much more using Axe Edit then with a direct interface. If a new shiny interface is the only improvement over the current model then count me out. I see that crap being pulled by Apple and the other cell phone peddlers all the time. I don't need it with the Axe as well.

2nd) i keep seeing guitar pros saying they need extrà units because the computational capabilities was not enough for them.
just wondering why that is.

Pros always feel like they need more stuff, and that they absofragginlutely need to have it too. They can afford it and have the guitar techs and roadies to haul it around and set it up for them. The Edge tours with 20+ guitars because he feels they all sound different and he needs them. Do you need 20+ guitars to do a show? Do you need a wall of Marshall amps on stage to make your balls shake? Naturally we would all like that. Until we have to buy them and haul them around ourselves. Then that gig gets old real fast.

It all boils down to nice to have, need to have. When you got a lot of money and support staff the border between nice to have, need to have lies in different territory then when you have to make ends meet and haul everything around yourself. I'd like to have more CPU power. I'd like to have more then one Axe FX. I can make do with one though and work with the CPU power. Which still beats anything of my previous Line 6 units by a long shot.

i noticed some chips are like 500 mhz or something . i am sure they could get like at least 1 giga bites just wonderìng.

Maybe they can. Maybe they can't. I'm not in the know.

3rd) there are sounds and enhancements out there yet to be included.

There will always be new sounds and enhancements. Any time you buy a new product you basically get a distilled moment in time. The same would apply to a potential Axe FX III. Updates can only go so far.

[quote}4th) there are some yet some improvements that are of the physical type like line isolation power regulators that can benefit the unit. for hums and hissès.[/quote]

Could be. But do these warrant calling that the Axe FX III? It would basically just be an upgrade XL+

BUMP - lol
Welcome.

My answer is "No".

I don't expect many likes for this post :)

We really have no idea, but I personally just feel it in my bones that an Axe-Fx III announcement is imminent.

Starting that day, used Axe-Fx IIs will begin flooding the market and drive used prices down. Because legions of Fractal diehards WILL get the III, and not all can afford/justify keeping the II.

So if you can wait it out, you'll have a choice between the new III and a great deal on a used II.

I know this is an older post, but now that the Ax 3 is out - Fractal is selling the FX 2 XL+ for a blow out price. I want to fly with it , but do you carry it on? Will it fit in the overhead of a smaller plane? What case do you use? Thanks
If I had a dime for every time I've said this, I would own a back up XL to my main XL:)

I will NEVER own another piece of gear, period. The Axe FXII is the best rig I have EVER owned. I fly everywhere with it and it never fails to drop jaws when ears hear it for the first time. Just buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I had a dime for every time I've said this, I would own a back up XL to my main XL:)

I will NEVER own another piece of gear, period. The Axe FXII is the best rig I have EVER owned. I fly everywhere with it and it never fails to drop jaws when ears hear it for the first time. Just buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom