Is my input level too hot?

bishop5150

Fractal Fanatic
I've got my instrument 1 input level pad set at 6.0 What is the best setting for me based on what you see and hear in the video below?

Last edited:
i run at 12dB, the hottest pups i use is a SH-4 i dont hit the red at all. i have tried with 6dB but it only works with a strat for me, tele, 335, lester and superstrats get into the red quit a bit. we all have different touch on the instrument so ymmv :)

To be honest, the Input meters aren't user friendly. It's one of the only things I don't like about the AX8. The red LED has multiple brightness levels, and only at the brightest level have you started to clip (from what I understand). Letting the lower intensity red occasionally flash on your hottest pickup combo is ideal, but it is difficult to discern (and confusing for new users).

I have mine at 0db with 57 classics, 36th ann and P90's and it never reaches the red. To tell you the truth it rarely hits green. Seems odd but I check output levels and all seems ok.

To be honest, the Input meters aren't user friendly. It's one of the only things I don't like about the AX8. The red LED has multiple brightness levels, and only at the brightest level have you started to clip (from what I understand). Letting the lower intensity red occasionally flash on your hottest pickup combo is ideal, but it is difficult to discern (and confusing for new users).

It's literally impossible to use for those of us who are color blind. :(

It's literally impossible to use for those of us who are color blind. :(
the top light is only red and changes brightness levels. curious how color blindness affects it? (i'm colorblind to some blue/purple.)

for me, i set the Input Atten to 18, which is the max. it's a Signal to Noise ratio adjustment mostly, it should barely - if not at all - affect your actual guitar tone and signal.

I have mine at 0db with 57 classics, 36th ann and P90's and it never reaches the red. To tell you the truth it rarely hits green. Seems odd but I check output levels and all seems ok.

I just received my AX8 and have the input set at 0 also. Even set there it never comes close to red, thats with 490r/498 Gibson pickups and my single coils even less. Also thought there would be a volume difference if the pad was set higher but there is none. So your saying this is normal?

I just received my AX8 and have the input set at 0 also. Even set there it never comes close to red, thats with 490r/498 Gibson pickups and my single coils even less. Also thought there would be a volume difference if the pad was set higher but there is none. So your saying this is normal?
yes because it is setting a Signal to Noise ratio, it compensates the attenuation you set with a boost to deliver the same amount of volume to the input stage.

does anyone read the manual?

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 1.22.02 PM.png

No don't know how to read I guess. Don't really need smart remarks like that since even if I had read it does not mean I really understood it. Also still would have thought it would go way higher when set to 0

No don't know how to read I guess. Don't really need smart remarks like that since even if I had read it does not mean I really understood it. Also still would have thought it would go way higher when set to 0
meh it's a joke. i should know better than trying to be anything than an answer robot here! haha (that's another joke!)

i'm sure if you did read that, you'd understand the part about "what you hear remains the same."

i'm sure if you did read that, you'd understand the part about "what you hear remains the same."

You might think so, BUT after reading p. 17 ("Turn E/NAV to select INSTRUMENT INPUT PAD. Change this setting to 0dB, 6dB, 12dB or 18dB based on the output level of your guitar. Be aware that as you increase this PAD setting you also increase the noise floor, so set it as low as possible.") you might be confused.

I would assume that a higher noise floor sounded differnt from a low noise floor?

Back
Top Bottom