Is my FM3 Defective?

Sladdin

Hey, I'm having some serious noise issues with high gain patches. There's a nasty screeching feedback sound which occurs whenever I sustain chords or stop playing. It occurs with all my guitars, and if I touch the end of the instrument cable with my hand. I've tried seemingly everything including trying to find a sweet spot with the gate (which has been unsuccessful), and adjusting the input pad. I've also tried it through both of my setups- my bedroom poweramp/cab rig and office with studio monitors/headphones.

I'm certainly not over cranking the gain, a basic signal chain with around 2.5 input gain with a tube screamer can cause endless screeching. Pretty much occurs at the point of saturation. I've also monitored the signal through a blank patch with no blocks, and it is extremely loud and clipping awfully on the output, but the input level seems normal on the meter.

Here's a video example, excuse the poor quality but you get the idea

Anyone else had this problem?

Last edited:
The video won't play for me. There was a feedback problem when using excessive gain (I mean ridiculous amounts of gain) with a limited number of units from the first shipment that required the units be sent back to Fractal for repair. If your's is a very early headphone unit I would contact FAS support. If it's a more recent unit, then hearing the video might help people to diagnose the problem.

The video won't play for me. There was a feedback problem when using excessive gain (I mean ridiculous amounts of gain) with a limited number of units from the first shipment that required the units be sent back to Fractal for repair. If your's is a very early headphone unit I would contact FAS support. If it's a more recent unit, then hearing the video might help people to diagnose the problem.
Just fixed the link. Awful quality because I had to rip it off a facebook group whilst at work ahaha, but you get the point

Also, my unit has a headphone jack. I got it last week, second hand, but in an unused state (screen protectors still on and bone stock.)
I assume G66 will repair it for free?

Last edited:
An early batch of headphone units had a problem with output 1 level cranked and a decent (not super high) amount of gain. Mine was fixed under warranty but you'd have to check with G66 for secondhand units.

I found your posts on the issue yesterday after doing some Google fu and diagnosed the issue!

Good news though, I'm seding it off tomorrow to G66. The person who sold it to me is an artst and he got in touch with them for me!

If it was purchased from G66 then my understanding is that the warranty is transferable in any case.

Back
Top Bottom