Is My Axe Fx Faulty? (Amp Hiss + Audio Clip Example)

Birdy

Inspired
I have a bad problem of amp hiss.
If don't play hard, the amp hiss can be heard THROUGH my playing, WHILE I'm playing.
It happens on basically every clean preset, even the stock ones.
The amp hiss is there even when I unplug the input cable from the axe, so it's not coming from my guitars.

In this example clip, I'm playing soft finger picking, with the guitar's volume knob at 70%, noise gate is off.

Also, did you set your input level? The Input Level has a direct effect on noise level, it basically sets the noise level, so ya want that set as high as possible.
Here is from the Wiki:
300px-Iii-meter-bridge.jpg

What is Input Level or Input Pad for?
Input Level and Input Pad are NOT GAIN controls. They do NOT affect the overall volume level, or clipping or amp gain (unless you go below 5%). It just optimizes the signal-to-noise ratio of the analog-to-digital converters. The adjustment is applied before the A/D converter and is offset by a corresponding but opposite boost at the output of the converter.

How to set Input Level or Input Pad
Set Input Level or Input Pad to make the red Input LED blink only occasionally while strumming ("tickle the red"). Strum hard, on the loudest pickup! There's a substantial range between orange and red. If you can't make it blink red, don't worry.

The red light turns on BEFORE the instrument input clips. It means "Warning, you're approaching clipping" as opposed to "Warning, you ARE clipping". On the Axe-Fx II, AX8 and FX8 the red light turns on at -6dB of the point where the signal is hard limited / clipped. On the Axe-Fx III the red LEDs on the front panel come on at -1 dBFS!

While the word "clipping" is used here, in reality the input signal never really clips, because of a limiter will kick in.

Also, did you set your input level? The Input Level has a direct effect on noise level, it basically sets the noise level, so ya want that set as high as possible.
Here is from the Wiki:
300px-Iii-meter-bridge.jpg

What is Input Level or Input Pad for?
Input Level and Input Pad are NOT GAIN controls. They do NOT affect the overall volume level, or clipping or amp gain (unless you go below 5%). It just optimizes the signal-to-noise ratio of the analog-to-digital converters. The adjustment is applied before the A/D converter and is offset by a corresponding but opposite boost at the output of the converter.

How to set Input Level or Input Pad
Set Input Level or Input Pad to make the red Input LED blink only occasionally while strumming ("tickle the red"). Strum hard, on the loudest pickup! There's a substantial range between orange and red. If you can't make it blink red, don't worry.

The red light turns on BEFORE the instrument input clips. It means "Warning, you're approaching clipping" as opposed to "Warning, you ARE clipping". On the Axe-Fx II, AX8 and FX8 the red light turns on at -6dB of the point where the signal is hard limited / clipped. On the Axe-Fx III the red LEDs on the front panel come on at -1 dBFS!

While the word "clipping" is used here, in reality the input signal never really clips, because of a limiter will kick in.

This text in the wiki has been changed. The input LED turns on at -6 dB. It’s the output LEDs that turn on at -1 dB.

Single coils? Sounds exactly like single coil noise picking up computer interference.
No these are humbucker pickups in the example (I've tried other ones as well).
You're right about the magnetic interference, but that's just the small ringing noise (which goes away when I get farther away from my computer).
The problem is the amp hiss, which is there even when nothing is plugged in.

Try a different input. Might be something up with that particular input circuit.
I tried it now, even recording DI guitar to interface and reamping through the Axe via USB.
Same problem on all options.

Is it there if you only use headphones? Unplug everything else.
Yeah it's still there, very audible.

Possible to be interference from your electrical supply? Or perhaps the computer?
I'll have to check that, I'll turn off my PC and try it.

Is this something new or has it always been noisy?
I only have the Axe for a few months, but I've messed around with distorted tones almost exclusively, so I can't really answer your answer with confidence.
I do remember having some hiss on a JC 120 patch when I first got the Axe, but I thought it was the brightness of the preset that causes that.

I guess it is a matter of interference (wi fi networks ,radio waves etc..).i use the noise gate with a low enough threshold in noisy locations even on clean sounds.

I have also this problem of hiss on clean channel. Before I don't heard it, could it be due to the last firmware update?

Back
Top Bottom