Is my ART SLA 2 damaged ?

Hi Rex - sorry, no news yet - I was on vacation.
Just got back Home
I will try it tonight

Regards,
Omrat

OK !

Just tried channel 2 only - to mono and stereo jack of cabinet.
Here are the results:

channel 2 to mono jack of cab - both speakers are working.
channel 2 to stereo jack of cab - right speaker is working.

I thnik channel 2 is just fine.

Regards,
Omrat

Just tried channel 1 only - to mono and stereo jack of cabinet.

channel 1 to mono jack of cab - both speakers are working.
channel 1 to stereo jack of cab - right speaker is working.

I thnik channel 1 is just fine.

Regards,
Omrat

Welcome back, Omrat! I hope you had a great vacation.

After the tests you did, we know that your power amp is behaving as it should (just as it did before). Thta means there is a problem with the wiring: either the cables or inside the cabinet.

I know you've tested your cables, so I don't think that is a likely problem. It's possible, though, that the problem is intermittent — sometimes a good connection, sometimes not. Maybe a plug that is almost, but not completely, inserted into the jack.

Is it possible that one of your speaker cables is still reversed? Have you tested that the red banana plug goes to the tip of the 1/4" cable for both connectors?

If the cables are correct, we are left with either the jacks in your cabinet or the wiring in your cabinet. If you have your ohmmeter available, I can walk you through a test to see whether the jacks are working properly and whether there are wiring problems. Whatever the problem is, it is probably a simple one, and when we find it, we will both wonder why we didn't find it sooner.

Welcome back, Omrat! I hope you had a great vacation.

After the tests you did, we know that your power amp is behaving as it should (just as it did before). Thta means there is a problem with the wiring: either the cables or inside the cabinet.

I know you've tested your cables, so I don't think that is a likely problem. It's possible, though, that the problem is intermittent — sometimes a good connection, sometimes not. Maybe a plug that is almost, but not completely, inserted into the jack.

Is it possible that one of your speaker cables is still reversed? Have you tested that the red banana plug goes to the tip of the 1/4" cable for both connectors?

If the cables are correct, we are left with either the jacks in your cabinet or the wiring in your cabinet. If you have your ohmmeter available, I can walk you through a test to see whether the jacks are working properly and whether there are wiring problems. Whatever the problem is, it is probably a simple one, and when we find it, we will both wonder why we didn't find it sooner.

Thanks Rex !

I will check cables again tonight and will take some pictures of connections.
I don't have ohmmeter right now but I hope I can borrow it.

All Best,
Tarmo

Ok, just made exact same tests with second cable and got same results.
So - both cables ar just fine.
I hope I can find ohmmeter this weekend.

Regards,
Omrat

Both cables are fine, both are plugged into your owoer amp with red connected to + on the amp.

If I understand the problem correctly, you can only hear channel 1 when both cannels are plugged into both jacks of the speaker cabinet; and the amp is not going into protect mode; and you have tried each channel into each spekaer jack (is that all correct?).

This is truly strange. There must be an issue with the speaker jacks or the wiring in the cabinet. We should have enough information to figure out what the problem is, but the information contradicts itself.

If you can't get an ohmeter this weekend, and you have some time, it might help if you can confirm how the jacks are wired to the speakers by looking inside the cabinet. Otherwise, I think an ohmmeter is our best bet.

Cool. Here are some tests to do.
  1. Plug one end of one of your patch cords into the mono jack on your cab (leave the stereo jack empty). Measure the resistance from tip to sleeve on the free end of the patch cord.
  2. Unplug the first patch cord, then plug it into the stereo jack on your cab. Measure the resistance from tip to sleeve on the free end of the patch cord.
  3. Now leave the patch cord in place, and plug a second patch cord into the mono jack of your cab. Measure the resistance of each of the two cables from tip to sleeve.

In this case, patch cord = two-conductor shielded audio cable with a 1/4" plug on each end. Guitar cables will work fine.

Cool. Here are some tests to do.
  1. Plug one end of one of your patch cords into the mono jack on your cab (leave the stereo jack empty). Measure the resistance from tip to sleeve on the free end of the patch cord.
  2. Unplug the first patch cord, then plug it into the stereo jack on your cab. Measure the resistance from tip to sleeve on the free end of the patch cord.
  3. Now leave the patch cord in place, and plug a second patch cord into the mono jack of your cab. Measure the resistance of each of the two cables from tip to sleeve.

Results:

1. resistance ~4,4 Ohm
2. resistance ~8,1 Ohm
3. mono ~8,1 Ohm; stereo ~8,2 Ohm

Regards,
Tarmo

Results:

1. resistance ~4,4 Ohm
2. resistance ~8,1 Ohm
3. mono ~8,1 Ohm; stereo ~8,2 Ohm

Regards,
Tarmo
Aiii! This is all normal. Everywhere we look, there is nothing to explain the problem of losing one channel when both are plugged into your cab. And yet the problem is there (true?).

Have you verified that this problem exists with all patches?

Please try the following tests also.
With a patch cord plugged into each jack of your cab (the other end of each patch cord is unconnected, as before), measure resistance from:
  1. [*=1]The tip of one plug to the tip of the other plug;[*=1]The sleeve of one plug to the sleeve of the other plug;[*=1]The tip of one plug to the sleeve of ther other plug;[*=1]The same measurement as above, but using the other tip and the other sleeve.
It's good to know your name. "Tarmo" I understand. It's a good Estonian name. "Omrat" doesn't sound so Estonian. :)

Thanks Rex !

Aiii! This is all normal. Everywhere we look, there is nothing to explain the problem of losing one channel when both are plugged into your cab. And yet the problem is there (true?).

Have you verified that this problem exists with all patches?:)

Ok, now I'm strating to believe that maybe it is Axe FX ( preset or I/O settings ). Do You have some random stereo preset, that You can share ? If the problem still exist, I will do more tests with ohmmeter.

It's good to know your name. "Tarmo" I understand. It's a good Estonian name. "Omrat" doesn't sound so Estonian. :)

Hahaa, I didn't even noticed that I wrote Tarmo and not Omrat, but Yes, it is my real name :):):)

Thanks again,
Tarmo

Ok, now I'm strating to believe that maybe it is Axe FX ( preset or I/O settings ). Do You have some random stereo preset, that You can share ? If the problem still exist, I will do more tests with ohmmeter.
Just use a mono preset. If you don't have one, you can build one by using an amp sim and a cab sim. You should get sound from both speakers if both channels are hooked up.

I just realized that when I said to use a shielded audio cable, I was confused. The cables you used for the test were fine, but shielding was not necessary. Your speaker cables would have worked just as well. Sorry... I think I was asleep. :)

Just use a mono preset. If you don't have one, you can build one by using an amp sim and a cab sim. You should get sound from both speakers if both channels are hooked up.

I just realized that when I said to use a shielded audio cable, I was confused. The cables you used for the test were fine, but shielding was not necessary. Your speaker cables would have worked just as well. Sorry... I think I was asleep. :)

Ok, I'm using mono preset, so that is not the reason.
I will do more tests with Ohmmeter.

All Best,
Tarmo

Results:

1.The tip of one plug to the tip of the other plug; ~15,8 Ohm
2.The sleeve of one plug to the sleeve of the other plug; ~0,6 Ohm
3.The tip of one plug to the sleeve of ther other plug; ~8,1 Ohm
4.The same measurement as above, but using the other tip and the other sleeve. ~8,2 Ohm

Let me quess - this is all normal :)

Regards,
Tarmo

Back
Top Bottom