Is my ART SLA 2 damaged ?

Also - cables are ok I think. I opened plugs and everything seems just fine.
EDIT: Red wire goes to tip of plug and black goes to side.

Omrat,

Those banana plugs are so old school! That is one of the reasons I step upped to the Matrix.
TMO this can not be the reason that the amp goes in protective mode.
Take your ohmage meter and do some measerements.
Stick your mono jacks in both your connectons of the cabinet and measure the tip and sleeve on the banana end.
This should be the same! If not there is a problem well then it are the cables/jack plugs or the cab connections or the cab wiring.

If is reads the same value. Then the ART has a problem.

Omrat,

Those banana plugs are so old school! That is one of the reasons I step upped to the Matrix.
Take your ohmage meter and do some measerements.
Stick your mono jacks in both your connectons of the cabinet and measure the tip and sleeve on the banana end.
This should be the same! If not there is a problem well then it are the cables/jack plugs or the cab connections or the cab wiring.

If is reads the same value. Then the ART has a problem.

Thanks for the reply DADA !!!

I don't have any ohmage meter right now but I think I can borrow one.
And Yes those banana plugs are old school :)

Thanks again,
Omrat

YerasovJacks.jpg

Square contacts are ok on both jacks. When I insert plug, all three square jacks are reacting.
Allso this "bad connector" seems ok to me.

I still am wondering about the connection on the left, I think the blue wire should be on the right side of that connector.

I can control the volume level only via channel one.

Are you 100% sure that you've switched the amp from mono bridged mode to stereo mode?
That switch can't be toggled with your fingers because it's recessed so much.
You'll need to use a pencil tip or a small screw driver to toggle it.

Are you 100% sure that you've switched the amp from mono bridged mode to stereo mode?
That switch can't be toggled with your fingers because it's recessed so much.
You'll need to use a pencil tip or a small screw driver to toggle it.

Yes I'm 100% sure, I used screw driver to toggle it.

Thanks for Your replay !

Ok, just realized that I had banana plugs connected to ART SLA 2 wrong :):):)
Like I said, I'm total rookie.....
This is the right way right (red to red and black to black ) ?
Yes, that's correct. That's what was causing the amp to go into protect mode: both outputs were being shorted together.

BUT - only one speaker is working ( right or left - I tryed to switch banana blugs between channel 1 and 2 )
AND - I can control the volume level only via channel one.
Can you help me understand what you're saying here? It's unclear whether you can hear bpth speakers, or can only control volume on one speaker.

Square contacts are ok on both jacks. When I insert plug, all three square jacks are reacting.
Allso this "bad connector" seems ok to me.[/QUOTE]
Good. One less thing to worry about.

+1. That's why I only use banana plugs when there is no other choice. Too easy to make a mistake.

This is exactly the reason. With the banana plugs reversed, the cabinet wiring was shorting the + side of each channel together. The - side is already shorted by the SLA itself. The net result is that both channels were shorted together. When channel 1 went into protect mode, it removed that channel, and left channel 2 free to drive the speaker.

I still am wondering about the connection on the left, I think the blue wire should be on the right side of that connector.
That would be a better way to do it. But the way it's wired now, it should give satisfactory results when the cab is connected to two channels of the the same amp.

That would be a better way to do it. But the way it's wired now, it should give satisfactory results when the cab is connected to two channels of the the same amp.
Well maybe... [way I see it from the pic] the blue appears to be the "return" (non-hot) circuit, and would need the connection the way it is for the mono jack to work. If the blue wire was on the other side of the connection on the left, you'd need to [partially] insert a jack to complete the circuit.

Well maybe... [way I see it from the pic] the blue appears to be the "return" (non-hot) circuit, and would need the connection the way it is for the mono jack to work. If the blue wire was on the other side of the connection on the left, you'd need to [partially] insert a jack to complete the circuit.

On the stereo side of the jack plate (Left hand side) the connector has mechanical connections that are broken when the jack is inserted to that connector. Having the blue wire on the right side of that connector would brake that connection once the jack is inserted causing the negative side to no longer be shared as part of the mono wiring circuit.

Wiring it the way I have described would completely isolate both channels/speakers when both jacks are inserted into the connectors of the cab. This would effectively eliminate any polarity issues that could cause a short.

Last edited:
Can you help me understand what you're saying here? It's unclear whether you can hear bpth speakers, or can only control volume on one speaker.

Ok, My english is pretty bad but I will try explain it again:

1. combination - I only can hear right speaker and I can control volume level of that speaker only via channel 1
2. combination - I only can hear left speaker and I can control volume level of that speaker only via channel 1

Combinations 1 & 2 - I swapped banana plugs between channel 1 and 2

And Oh well........ there is so many information in this thread allready.......

Thanks to all !!!
Omrat

Don't worry about your English; it's good enough. Remember that I have been too lazy to learn your language. :)

1. combination - I only can hear right speaker and I can control volume level of that speaker only via channel 1
2. combination - I only can hear left speaker and I can control volume level of that speaker only via channel 1

Combinations 1 & 2 - I swapped banana plugs between channel 1 and 2
Now it sounds as if there is no output coming from Channel 2. When you have the above problem, what happens when you unplug the Channel 1 banana plug? Can you hear anything? If not, then there is no signal getting to your cabinet. Either the cable or SLA output 2 is not sending a signal.

You have fixed your first problem. Now we just need to fix the second one.

+1. That's why I only use banana plugs when there is no other choice. Too easy to make a mistake.

This is exactly the reason. With the banana plugs reversed, the cabinet wiring was shorting the + side of each channel together. The - side is already shorted by the SLA itself. The net result is that both channels were shorted together. When channel 1 went into protect mode, it removed that channel, and left channel 2 free to drive the speaker.

Yep my mistake.
If he connected the two red inputs with one cable and the two blacks with the other you are completely right
I tought he mentioned the + and - per channel upside down

Now it sounds as if there is no output coming from Channel 2. When you have the above problem, what happens when you unplug the Channel 1 banana plug? Can you hear anything? If not, then there is no signal getting to your cabinet. Either the cable or SLA output 2 is not sending a signal.

You have fixed your first problem. Now we just need to fix the second one.

Ok, I'm working right now, but I will check it tonight.

Thanks again !!!

This forum really rocks !

Omrat

Yep my mistake.
If he connected the two red inputs with one cable and the two blacks with the other you are completely right
I tought he mentioned the + and - per channel upside down
He did (mean + and - reversed for each channel). That put both + signals onto the sleeves of the 1/4" plugs. When they were both plugged into the cab, the cab wiring shorted them together.

If the cabinet jacks had been wires as Sixstring suggested, that would not have caused a problem, because the two sleeves would have been disconnected.

Last edited:
Is it OK if I hijack this thread a bit with an ART SLA2 related question? I'd just rather not flood the board with more ART related questions.

My issue is this; I have it bridged mono running into my Line 6 4x12 cab @ 8 ohms mono. But it isn't at all as loud as I would have expected considideing it's 560W. It can be loud if I crank up the Channel 1 volume and also the Axe-Fx output.

So I guess there are 2 questions;

1. Could those of you using the ART and the Axe-Fx give me the relative positions of the output on the Ax and the channel 1 volume on the power amp, when you consider it to be quite loud? (i.e 12 o'clock on both?)

2. Perhaps there is a global output setting somewhere in the menu that I'm missing? Granted, there is a difference between some of the patches, but I just would have expected this configuration to be able to keep up with a 50/100W Marshall half stack, and it doesn't unless I have everything totally cranked.

edit: if it would be more appropriate to start a new thread, please let me know and I will do so...

Last edited:
Is it OK if I hijack this thread a bit with an ART SLA2 related question? I'd just rather not flood the board with more ART related questions.

My issue is this; I have it bridged mono running into my Line 6 4x12 cab @ 8 ohms mono. But it isn't at all as loud as I would have expected considideing it's 560W. It can be loud if I crank up the Channel 1 volume and also the Axe-Fx output.

So I guess there are 2 questions;

1. Could those of you using the ART and the Axe-Fx give me the relative positions of the output on the Ax and the channel 1 volume on the power amp, when you consider it to be quite loud? (i.e 12 o'clock on both?)

2. Perhaps there is a global output setting somewhere in the menu that I'm missing? Granted, there is a difference between some of the patches, but I just would have expected this configuration to be able to keep up with a 50/100W Marshall half stack, and it doesn't unless I have everything totally cranked.

edit: if it would be more appropriate to start a new thread, please let me know and I will do so...

A new thread would be a better idea but a quick answer, 560 watts is more that enough to keep up with a 100 watt tube amp and have plenty of head room. If you have your presets setup correctly you should be able to effectively damage your hearing after a few minuets at full volume.

Back
Top Bottom