Is my ART SLA 2 damaged ?

At first glance, you'd think so. But look closely at the tip connection of the stereo jack. You'll see that the wire from the mono jack goes to a different side of the stereo jack. When there's nothing plugged into the stereo jack, the tip connection passes through from one side of the stereo jack to the other, and both speakers are in parallel. But when there's a plug in the stereo jack, that connection is broken, and the tip of the plug in the stereo jack becomes the new source for the other speaker.

With this type of jack, you can actually see the connection being made and broken as the plug goes in and out of the jack.

And there it is......thanks for the explanation Rex!

At first glance, you'd think so. But look closely at the tip connection of the stereo jack. You'll see that the wire from the mono jack goes to a different side of the stereo jack. When there's nothing plugged into the stereo jack, the tip connection passes through from one side of the stereo jack to the other, and both speakers are in parallel. But when there's a plug in the stereo jack, that connection is broken, and the tip of the plug in the stereo jack becomes the new source for the other speaker.

With this type of jack, you can actually see the connection being made and broken as the plug goes in and out of the jack.

OK, will test channel 1 to the "stereo" jack as soon as possible.
BTW - the main reason here is that I'd just like to know is my ART SLA 2 ok or not.
I will not run one cab in stereo anyway I think.

And Thanks again !

Yup.. but something is causing a short to make the amp go into protect mode! If both channels work OK in mono mode, and CH1 goes into protect mode when both are connected up stereo, the OP could try reversing cables at the cab end and and see if CH2 goes into protect. If it does, swap cables over and see if it still happens. If it does, I'd say there's a short inside the cab somewhere. If not, one of the cables is bad.

And there it is......thanks for the explanation Rex!
You're welcome! I have a cab with the same kind of jacks. If I hadn't seen them for myself, I would have thought the same thing as you.

Yup.. but something is causing a short to make the amp go into protect mode!
You're right. When Omrat tests his cab with just channel 1 plugged into the stereo jack, we'll have a pretty good indication of whether the problem is in the ART or on the cab — and if it's in the cab, we'll have a fair indication of what the problem might be.

Ok, just tested:

ART SLA 2 unbridged channel 1 to mono jack - both speakers are working ( AMP not switching to protected mode )
ART SLA 2 unbridged channel 1 to stereo jack - only right speaker is working ( AMP not switching to protected mode )
ART SLA 2 unbridged channel 1 to stereo jack, channel 2 to mono jack - both speakers are working until channel 1 is switching to protected mode
ART SLA 2 unbridged channel 1 to mono jack, channel 2 to stereo jack - both speakers are working until channel 1 is switching to protected mode

Mono in cabinet
Step 1: Check channel 1 into mono jack (do not connect channel 2) Workes?
Control: Measure the Ohmage of the jack with the other end jack into the mono jack.
Step 2: Check channel 2 into mono jack (do not connect channel 1). Workes?

Stereo in cabinet
Step 1: Check channel 1 into stereo jack with mono jack in cab (do not connect channel 2) Workes? (prob not)
Step 1a: Check channel 1 into stereo jack with stereo jack. First measure how the cable connection is made inside the cable!!!!!
Control: Measure the Ohmage of the jack with the other end jack into the mono jack. Do the same for the stereo jack.

Remember: Connecting a mono jack into a stereo jack in will connect the two plus signals (tip and middle). (I think it is here where the problem is. Problem is in the cable or in the stereo jack in. So best is to measure and if the Ohmage of the left and right speaker is the same.

If your connection worked earlier then it might a amp problem. But first be sure your connection (cable or cabinet) is OKi

Sounds like something is wrong with the jack... They are simple but sometimes thats their down fall. To the OP, one wire at a time follow the path electrons take. you will find your problem.

EDIT: This diagram should help as to how it works.

mono-stereo.gif

Last edited:
ART SLA 2 unbridged channel 1 to mono jack - both speakers are working ( AMP not switching to protected mode )
This is normal.

ART SLA 2 unbridged channel 1 to stereo jack - only right speaker is working ( AMP not switching to protected mode )
This is also normal. I was hoping to find the problem here. If both speakers made sound, that would mean that the switching action in the stereo jack wasn't working. But it is working, so on with the troubleshooting.

ART SLA 2 unbridged channel 1 to stereo jack, channel 2 to mono jack - both speakers are working until channel 1 is switching to protected mode
When channel 1 goes into protect mode, what happens to the sound? Left speaker, right speaker, two speakers, or no speakers?

ART SLA 2 unbridged channel 1 to mono jack, channel 2 to stereo jack - both speakers are working until channel 1 is switching to protected mode
Same question as above.

When I looked at your picture of the jacks, I noticed that on part of the stereo jack looks different from the rest. I've circled it in the picture below. When you insert a plug into one of the jacks, you should notice that the square contacts move, opening the circuit. I would expect a square contact to appear in the circled area, but I don't see it in the picture. Please try inserting a plug into the stereo jack, and look at the circled area to see what happens. Compare it to what you see when you insert a plug into the mono jack.

YerasovJacks.jpg

Mono in cabinet
Step 1: Check channel 1 into mono jack (do not connect channel 2) Workes?
Control: Measure the Ohmage of the jack with the other end jack into the mono jack.
Step 2: Check channel 2 into mono jack (do not connect channel 1). Workes?...
DADA, thanks for your input, but I'm having trouble understanding. Maybe you're using the work "jack" for both jacks and plugs. ("Jack" is female, "plug" is male.)

Sounds like something is wrong with the jack... They are simple but sometimes thats their down fall.
+1.

Unfortunately, the diagram you attached doesn't apply here. The way the cab is wired, the ring connection is not used. Either mono or stereo plugs will work. Switching is done with the tip connection. The "stereo" jack isn't actually wired in stereo; it only feeds one speaker.

+1.

Unfortunately, the diagram you attached doesn't apply here.

Actually it does... that's why it says "Use only mono phone jacks to plug into this cabinet" at the bottom of the diagram. This would imply that the ring and sleeve connections are one and the same.

Anyway the main reason I posted the diagram was for Omrat to see how the mechanical connection works. If there is something wrong with the connector that breaks that connection the short could be at that location causing the SLA to go into protection mode.

Last edited:
Actually it does... that's why it says "Use only mono phone jacks to plug into this cabinet" at the bottom of the diagram. This would imply that the ring and sleeve connections are one and the same.
I get it... your diagram shows switching at both tip and ring, whereas Omrat's cabinet only switches at the tip. He should be good to go with either mono or stereo plugs (I'm assuming that "use only mono jacks" means "use only mono plugs").

I'm starting to suspect the wiring in Omrat's cabinet. If he sees the tip connector make and break the connection when he plugs into the jack, I'm thinking they may have the tips wired in common and the sleeves wired seperately.

I get it... your diagram shows switching at both tip and ring, whereas Omrat's cabinet only switches at the tip.

Correct... based on the pic the sleeves are wired in common in his cab, if the polarity is backwards on the cables he is using from the amp to the cab that would cause a short.

@ Omrat check the polarity of your cables you are using from the amp to the speaker cab. Make sure both cables ring out positive to positive and negative to negative.

Correct... based on the pic the sleeves are wired in common in his cab, if the polarity is backwards on the cables he is using from the amp to the cab that would cause a short.
You're right. Either reversed polarity in the cables or reversed polarity in the cab (jacks to speakers). I'm starting to suspect the cab wiring — it's tricky to wire a 1/4" plug backwards. :)

Ok, just realized that I had banana plugs connected to ART SLA 2 wrong :):):)
Like I said, I'm total rookie.....
This is the right way right (red to red and black to black ) ?

P6190344.JPG

RESULT - AMP is not switching to protecting mode when running the cab in stereo.
BUT - only one speaker is working ( right or left - I tryed to switch banana blugs between channel 1 and 2 )
AND - I can control the volume level only via channel one.

I will open the cab again and will check the connections

When I looked at your picture of the jacks, I noticed that on part of the stereo jack looks different from the rest. I've circled it in the picture below. When you insert a plug into one of the jacks, you should notice that the square contacts move, opening the circuit. I would expect a square contact to appear in the circled area, but I don't see it in the picture. Please try inserting a plug into the stereo jack, and look at the circled area to see what happens. Compare it to what you see when you insert a plug into the mono jack.

YerasovJacks.jpg

Square contacts are ok on both jacks. When I insert plug, all three square jacks are reacting.
Allso this "bad connector" seems ok to me.

Back
Top Bottom