Is my ART SLA 2 damaged ?

Omrat

Inspired
Need Help with ART SLA-2 and 2x12 cab ..... AGAIN :)

I'm running my Axe FX with ART SLA 2 and custom 2x12 cab
Cabinet is 120W and loaded with Celestion V30-s.
Stereo - 2x8 Ohm
Mono - 4 Ohm

Right now I'm running my ART SLA 2 Bridged (Mono).
ART SLA 2 volume is set to maximum and I'm controlling my overall level with Axe FX.
Everyrhing sounds pretty nice and there is allso plenty of headroom.

Now to the problem:

Yesterday I wanted try my cab in stereo ( just out of curiosity ). So I unbridged the ART and added two cables ( one from Axe to Art and second from Art to Cab ). Now - when I started to play, I noticed that channel 1 ( ART SLA 2) is switching to protect mode every time I hit the strings, even at very low volume levels. Channel 2 si working just fine. After that I unconnected the added cables and channel 1 is working just fine on it's own ( ART SLA 2 unbridged ).
So basically - all channels are working separately and bridged together just fine but not in stereo :)

Does anyone have any clue, what am I doing wrong here ?
I allso dont have a second cab so I cant try stereomode with 2 cabs

Thanks,
Omrat

Need Help with ART SLA-2 and 2x12 cab ..... AGAIN :)

I'm running my Axe FX with ART SLA 2 and custom 2x12 cab
Cabinet is 120W and loaded with Celestion V30-s.
Stereo - 2x8 Ohm
Mono - 4 Ohm

Right now I'm running my ART SLA 2 Bridged (Mono).
ART SLA 2 volume is set to maximum and I'm controlling my overall level with Axe FX.
Everyrhing sounds pretty nice and there is allso plenty of headroom.

Now to the problem:

Yesterday I wanted try my cab in stereo ( just out of curiosity ). So I unbridged the ART and added two cables ( one from Axe to Art and second from Art to Cab ). Now - when I started to play, I noticed that channel 1 ( ART SLA 2) is switching to protect mode every time I hit the strings, even at very low volume levels. Channel 2 si working just fine. After that I unconnected the added cables and channel 1 is working just fine on it's own ( ART SLA 2 unbridged ).
So basically - all channels are working separately and bridged together just fine but not in stereo :)

Does anyone have any clue, what am I doing wrong here ?
I allso dont have a second cab so I cant try stereomode with 2 cabs

Thanks,
Omrat

Before the Matrix I had also a ART SLA2. Mine advice that you check your cables between the ART and the Cabinet. Secondly check the internal connection of your cabinet. The whole thing sounds like a short cut some where.

Good luck

Thanks for the quick reply DADA !

I'v allready checked both speaker cables ( tryed both with bridged mode ) and they are working just fine.
I will check the internal connections of cabimet tonight.

Thanks again !

Omrat

The whole thing sounds like a short cut some where.
+1. It sounds like the output from channel 1 of your power amp is being short-circuited.

Unplug the cable from output 1 and see if it's still going into protect mode when you play. If not, then you have a short in your cable or cabinet. The most likely culprit is mono-stereo switching circuit.

+1. It sounds like the output from channel 1 of your power amp is being short-circuited.

Unplug the cable from output 1 and see if it's still going into protect mode when you play. If not, then you have a short in your cable or cabinet. The most likely culprit is mono-stereo switching circuit.

Thanks for the reply Rex !

I'm not quite following you here ........ Like I said, channel one is working fine on it's own ( unbridged mode ).
Protect mode is only happening when I'm running cab in stereo.

Omrat

I'm not quite following you here ........ Like I said, channel one is working fine on it's own ( unbridged mode ).
Protect mode is only happening when I'm running cab in stereo.
Sorry, I read that channel 1 was going into protect mode.

If it's only happening when you run your cab in stereo, then your cab in that mode is short-circuiting channel 1.Something in the wiring there is running the signal to ground.

Does your cab switch to stereo with a switch, or do you make the change by using different jacks in the cab?

Sorry, I read that channel 1 was going into protect mode.

If it's only happening when you run your cab in stereo, then your cab in that mode is short-circuiting channel 1.Something in the wiring there is running the signal to ground.

Does your cab switch to stereo with a switch, or do you make the change by using different jacks in the cab?

There is no switch - only 2 jacks - one for mono only and second for stereo use.
I can take a picture tonight.

Thanks,
Omrat

There is no switch - only 2 jacks - one for mono only and second for stereo use.
I can take a picture tonight.
Be careful of that second jack. When there are only two jacks on one cabinet, the second jack is usually for adding another cab to run in parallel. It's usually not a stereo cabinet. Looking forward to your picture.

Be careful of that second jack. When there are only two jacks on one cabinet, the second jack is usually for adding another cab to run in parallel. It's usually not a stereo cabinet. Looking forward to your picture.

Aahhhh - Do You mean that the other jack may be for so-called extension cabinet ?
But if I remember correctly there is note - "stereo" ......
Anyway, I will take a picture tonight :)

Thanks !!!
Omrat

Pictures:

2.JPG

3.JPG

5.JPG

From the pictures, it looks like your cabinet is supposed to switch from mono to stereo when you plug a cable into the second jack. I think it's not working correctly. Can you remove the black faceplate to see how it's wired inside?

Thanks for the reply Rex !

I will remove the faceplate and take a picture as soon as possible.

Do the two twisted pairs of blue/white wires each go to a different speaker? If they do, the jacks are wired correctly for operation as labeled on the jack plate. It's possible that the jacks aren't working correctly. Try plugging the ART channel 1 into the "stereo" jack in the cab by itself, with nothing connected to the mono jack. You should get sound from one speaker only. Try that, and let us know what happens.

Do the two twisted pairs of blue/white wires each go to a different speaker?

I dont see but I think so.

If they do, the jacks are wired correctly for operation as labeled on the jack plate. It's possible that the jacks aren't working correctly. Try plugging the ART channel 1 into the "stereo" jack in the cab by itself, with nothing connected to the mono jack. You should get sound from one speaker only. Try that, and let us know what happens.

Ok, I will try that and will let You know. My Rig is in bedroom at the moment and kids are sleeping :)

and THANK YOU REX !!!!! - I think this is the best forum ever :)

BTW, just posted short videoclip with that cab to this forum:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-...d-art-sla-2-yerasov-bull-212v.html#post514144

Thanks again,
Omrat

Do the two twisted pairs of blue/white wires each go to a different speaker? If they do, the jacks are wired correctly for operation as labeled on the jack plate. It's possible that the jacks aren't working correctly. Try plugging the ART channel 1 into the "stereo" jack in the cab by itself, with nothing connected to the mono jack. You should get sound from one speaker only. Try that, and let us know what happens.

Are you sure?

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, that cab looks to be wired in Parallel?
And that second 1/4" is for an extension cab?

Rex, if you could explain why you think it's stereo? maybe that will help get my head straight....

Are you sure?

Rex, if you could explain why you think it's stereo? maybe that will help get my head straight....

Thanks for Your reply BBN !

Well this is interesting.....

At first glance, you'd think so. But look closely at the tip connection of the stereo jack. You'll see that the wire from the mono jack goes to a different side of the stereo jack. When there's nothing plugged into the stereo jack, the tip connection passes through from one side of the stereo jack to the other, and both speakers are in parallel. But when there's a plug in the stereo jack, that connection is broken, and the tip of the plug in the stereo jack becomes the new source for the other speaker.

With this type of jack, you can actually see the connection being made and broken as the plug goes in and out of the jack.

Back
Top Bottom