Is master volume supposed to always be at 10...?

BrianJ

Inspired
Hey guys! Just got my III today and I was going through some presets and they all seemed pretty noisy, even the clean amps. I looked around a bit and found that almost all the master volumes were set to “10”...

Even the clean amps were distorted at that level...and that just didn’t seem normal. I had to back the master volume down to between 2-3 and then it all started sounding “right” to me. Is this normal? Or am I missing something in the setup? I have a PRS Tremonti...I left the input set to 50% (which was the default) and it just tickles the red when strummed really hard with the volume on the guitar all the way up.

Any suggestions?

Master Volume does change the "perceived volume", but it also affects the Power Amp distortion and tone. check out the Wiki link yek posted above.

it's better to use the Level parameter to change "perceived volume" and to balance your presets.

Ok, so if I’m reading that right...leave the MV at “10”, and use the Input Drive to adjust gain/distortion (or lack thereof) desired...then use the Level control to adjust overall volume for level matching between presets...is that correct?

Also, what is Input Trim used for?

Ok, so if I’m reading that right...leave the MV at “10”, and use the Input Drive to adjust gain/distortion (or lack thereof) desired...then use the Level control to adjust overall volume for level matching between presets...is that correct?

Also, what is Input Trim used for?
Correct.....
Input Trim lowers the level interring the Amp block affecting the gain without affecting the tone (similar to putting a Vol/Pan block in front of the amp block and reducing the level). The Input Drive is modeling the way the amp Drive/volume control reacts with other components in the circuit, affecting tone as well as gain.

Check out the wiki link that Yek posted (and provided) above for more detailed info.

Lots of great info, thanks guys!

The amount of information is a bit overwhelming at first actually...is there a quick start guide for newer AxeFX users?

Lots of great info, thanks guys!

The amount of information is a bit overwhelming at first actually...is there a quick start guide for newer AxeFX users?
just stick to what you know at first. learn one new thing at a time.

Remember you can break the “rules” too

On a real Fender amp there is no master volume, so the model comes set at 10, but, you can change it if you want. I actually had a tech add a MV to an amp and it sounded good. Of course with the models you can have the master volume cranked and still have any output volume you want with the level control, so master volume can be more of a tone shaper than intensity control, but play around and find what sounds “best”. You can’t hurt anything

Some amps sound good with the MV at like 1 or 2, others “dime” it all and enjoy the sound of an amp about to explode (it won’t lol)

Learn the basics by all means, great place to start, but don’t forgot there are no rules

Back
Top Bottom