Is little to no feedback just the way it is with modelers?

Remember FRFR speakers and guitar cabs are different in many ways, I believe one is more directional than the other. When I plug my Axe in to the FX return of my small 5 watt combo, I can get feedback easily at any point in the room when cranked. I don't have a FRFR setup to test that way, but modeler or not has nothing to do with it.

I've had no probs getting some wonderful feedback - using the Plexi 100w (I've no doubt many other amps will achieve this as well) - but that is with my Dynacord AXM-12A FRFR speaker. I've never used in ears or studio monitors.

I recall reading while researching prior to buying the FM3, that getting controlled feedback with modelers wasn't the same as with an amp and cab.
I'm going to have to call malarkey to that. It's all about the guitar and the amount of air the speaker is moving. Digital doesn't affect the sound in a negative way, nor does using (FRFR) monitors.

From https://www.ultimatesantana.com/gear-tone/playing-style/...

Famous Santana Sustain​

There are several components involved in Carlos Santana’s famous everlasting sustain: humbucker pickups, heavy guitar bodies, and over driven amps. But the essential ingredient is physical placement of the guitar in relation to the speakers.

Before a show, Carlos will turn his amplifiers up to performance volume, then walk around the stage until he finds the “sweet spot.” This is the exact place where his notes will feed back just enough to create infinite sustain, without degenerating into the squeal often caused by runaway feedback.

Once the spot is found, it is marked with tape. Thus, Carlos can move to that spot when he needs to make a note last for a long time.
So, turn up the system, move around, and find the spot.

If you're not allowed to turn up loud enough, well that's a problem, but touching the head or body of the guitar to the monitor can induce enough vibration to start the sustain.

Headphones and in-ear monitors will break that acoustic coupling, but that should be obvious. I guess at that point you could try turning them up full and resting your head on the guitar....

Last edited:
Feedback happens plenty fine with solid state amps, PA speakers etc. nothing to do with tube amps except that they are loud and directional.

play a modeler through a high wattage power amp into a directional guitar cabinet and it will feedback just like anything else

John Petrucci, Jerry Cantrell, Vai and many others using tube amps on stage still prefer having a 1x12 or 2x12 cabinets in front of them as monitors for feedback and feel... So definitely it isn't a problem exclusive to modelers.

Producer Eric Valentine comments on having an extension cabinet in the control room while tracking Slash and controling the volume with a pedal just when they need feedback because his Marshalls at 10 won't react as good through the monitors.

Again, it's not exclusive to modelers...

Since moving to a house and cranking the volume on everything I haven't had any trouble getting feedback to sustain with my Axe-Fx or my tube amps.

Well I screwed around with trying to get feedback with my setup. Band volumes, moderate gain. I was able to do it. If I dialed the gain up it would have been easier. I can get it no problem with my tube rig. Maybe because I’m using either a 2x12 or 4x12. Moving a lot more air. Seems to me it’s tougher to do with my modeling rig. Makes no sense and I’m not concerned about it. Thanks for all the thoughts and opinions.

Well I screwed around with trying to get feedback with my setup. Band volumes, moderate gain. I was able to do it. If I dialed the gain up it would have been easier. I can get it no problem with my tube rig. Maybe because I’m using either a 2x12 or 4x12. Moving a lot more air. Seems to me it’s tougher to do with my modeling rig. Makes no sense and I’m not concerned about it. Thanks for all the thoughts and opinions.
the sound spreads out more with a 2x12 or 4x12 cab, while a full-range speaker is usually more directional. so the sweet spot is probably smaller with the full-range speakers, compared to the guitar cabs. i think it's less about moving more air (which usually means volume), and more about where the sound is going.

the sound spreads out more with a 2x12 or 4x12 cab, while a full-range speaker is usually more directional. so the sweet spot is probably smaller with the full-range speakers, compared to the guitar cabs. i think it's less about moving more air (which usually means volume), and more about where the sound is going.
Depends. At high frequencies, guitar speakers are very directional — more so than a full-range speaker. That's an unavoidable consequence of putting high frequencies through a 12-inch-wide speaker. Adding speakers just narrows the beam. Lining up speakers horizontally narrows the left/right dispersion. Lining them up vertically narrows the up/down dispersion. That's why line arrays have their top speakers all lined up vertically in the same plane — that arrangement sends a narrow beam of high-intensity sound to cover the farthest seats.

There is a feedback trick thanks to Simeon and Mark Day that has been around for quite a while using the pitch block! It gets you a foe feedback at any volume level! It does take a little finessing but works quite well.

Back
Top Bottom