Is John Mayer....

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I breached the dam on the gender issue, I take the blame for any rabbit trails that followed.

John Mayer’s music crosses boundaries, including three or more age generations, both genders, and many musical genres and fans. He is respected by some incredibly talented and awesome musicians. The audience split reminds me of The Eagles… and you could do a lot worse than their success level.

I was pointing out that, unlike many “guitar virtuoso” events, the audience for a very guitar-heavy music set isn’t mostly male, and I think that’s a positive thing. I mean, we could use more Moms saying “Son, why don’t you play guitar like that nice John Mayer boy?”

Should I be sorry I did this? I can kill it if need be. (Or maybe I can't).

Last edited:
John is showing the young bucks how to effectively play the game, if they're willing to lower their musical standards a bit, and I hope they pay attention.
Lower their musical standards?

Can you play Neon?

That's a pretty insulting thing to say. His music is well crafted and has many technical/challenging parts.

Just because it's not prog or metal doesn't mean it's a lower standard...

I love Cursed. I Have you listend to The SECT ?

IMO John Mayer's playing can run circles around any screaming drop-tuned djentleman out there. His music may not be to your taste, but no amount of chugging and growling can match his musicianship.

Also IMO, anyone who considers music as their path to getting laid has their priorities screwed up.

Not much into John other than the song Neon which is just amazing. The videos where he's talking about what went into creating the Silver Sky were really cool even though I'll never buy a guitar with single coils. I like his sense of humor. He had a pilot on VH1 way back when called John Mayer has a TV show which was pretty funny.

But overall, I dunno...seems like a decent guy and he plays really well. More power too him. His existence doesn't take away the merits of more niche stuff (prog metal FTW).

I suspect someone could have just listened to his music and felt the tepid, watered-down nature of it since its inception. ;)
I bought his first album right after it came out, mainly because of the songs "Georgia" and "Neon". To get me that far, I'd heard his song "Your Body is a Wonderland" on rotation somewhere. Then I scanned through some of the other songs (snippets that were available). After I got the album, I could tell right away there was a lot more firepower behind his playing than he was showing. "Neon" was the big tell, for me. "This f'r is no joke."

I actually liked HRI and I kinda miss it... a great cadre of men sharing rack gear related tips and tricks.

Lower their musical standards?

Can you play Neon?

That's a pretty insulting thing to say. His music is well crafted and has many technical/challenging parts.

Just because it's not prog or metal doesn't mean it's a lower standard...

I personally like John's music very much and I know that he's a very talented guitar player, that wasn't my point. I actually prefer his music to the screaming/prog/djent/death/hardcore/emo metal genres. My point was that plenty of talented young guys, from what I can see on youtube and in my area, are more into technical/metal genres and they would consider John's music to be a bit below their standards. If you're used to listen to Kiko Loureiro, Alex Skolnick or Marty Friedman (these guys can play Neon for sure, and Bach's tocatta and fugue in d minor and Vivaldi's four seasons etc.), John Mayer might just not be flashy enough for that type of crowd. As Revdrucifer already pointed out, even though he's a metal guy at heart, it still does pay off to listen to John's music.

IMO John Mayer's playing can run circles around any screaming drop-tuned djentleman out there. His music may not be to your taste, but no amount of chugging and growling can match his musicianship.

Also IMO, anyone who considers music as their path to getting laid has their priorities screwed up.

I prefer John's music too, but it's hard to argue that Mayer is a super guitar virtuoso whose musicianship is unmatched. Some Djent guys out there can play crazy, crazy stuff. For example, Tosin Abasi's musicianship is just on another level. I still prefer Mayer, but would never deny that Abasi is more talented and skilled than Mayer.

It's not about considering music as a path to geting laid, it's about considering music's full benefits spectrum, which includes getting some tail.

You go to work to earn your salary first and foremost, that doesn't mean that you have to decline or look down upon extra benefits.

I saw him with Dead & Company at the Madison Square Garden and I really enjoyed it. He played well and had a great tone that fit right in with the Dead, seemed like a really cool dude.

“I always listen to what I can leave out.” Miles Davis
Regardless of whether you dig him or not, Mayer never overplays, and his sense of melody is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom