Is it worth adding a sub to my studio monitors?

AZG

Experienced
I have KRK Rokit 8 G2 studio monitors that I have toyed with replacing with Equator D8's or something similar. But my biggest complaint with them when playing guitar is they fart out in the lows and just don't have the bass warmth or punch of my 1x12 tube combo or a CLR.

I'm now thinking maybe I should try adding a sub like the JBL LSR310S or the KRK 10S to my KRK monitors to add that warmth and punch. Anyone have experience with adding a sub to their studio monitors and did it make a big difference? Does it add the warmth and punch I'm missing?

Is your room treated? Acoustics plays a major role on how your tone/sounds like. If you're in a small squared room, sound waves may be bouncing all over the place. I highly recommend some bass traps. There's a bunch of diy where you can make a bunch for around $200.
I made some panels and might be making some bass traps too. I used to have the rockits for about 5 years. I never cared much for them. I moved to equators. I did a studio update with panels and new monitors and it was night and day.

Reactions: trb
Are you actually mixing music on this set up? If you need to make mix decisions on this system, I would be very careful adding a sub because you can ruin your mixes ability to translate to other systems. If you're just looking to give yourself the warm and fuzzies while you jam then do it up! My guess is you'd probably like it, but you'd probably end up turning off the sub while dialing in tones for use on other systems.

It depends on. Untreated room and a random sub is good candidate for disaster in accuracy. It can be enjoyable and fun to listen to, but ability to make good mixing decisions might be compromised. Check out room eq wizard, a free program that you can use to analyze your room problem points.

The room is untreated, strangely shaped and a rental, so I can't do a lot with it. But my 1x12 tube amp and a CLR (and the KRK's) sound pretty good in it. I'm mostly trying to get the CLR and KRK's (and tube amp) to sound more similar in the same space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Scott Peterson posted many moons ago that he used a sub when dialling tones in his acoustically treated room ..... I think it was that kind of sub at least ;)

Krk's are notoriously not flat, will probably be tough to get them anywhere near where you want them.

Absolutely!

Get a sub - Get a sub - I repeat - Get a sub. The difference will astound you.

Pauly

I have KRK Rokit 8 G2 studio monitors that I have toyed with replacing with Equator D8's or something similar. But my biggest complaint with them when playing guitar is they fart out in the lows and just don't have the bass warmth or punch of my 1x12 tube combo or a CLR.

I'm now thinking maybe I should try adding a sub like the JBL LSR310S or the KRK 10S to my KRK monitors to add that warmth and punch. Anyone have experience with adding a sub to their studio monitors and did it make a big difference? Does it add the warmth and punch I'm missing?

The room is untreated, strangely shaped and a rental, so I can't do a lot with it. But my 1x12 tube amp and a CLR (and the KRK's) sound pretty good in it. I'm mostly trying to get the CLR and KRK's (and tube amp) to sound more similar in the same space.

Is it only certain notes that crap out? You've probably got some strange room modes that are the root of the problem. A subwoofer won't help in that case.

Is it only certain notes that crap out? You've probably got some strange room modes that are the root of the problem. A subwoofer won't help in that case.

No, low mids and up sound pretty good. It's just the thump, punch and warmth are somewhat missing that the bigger speakers in the same room have.

AZG: Let me give you some advice as a studio engineer that may be of use to you.

Firstly, you should NOT get a sub for the reasons you are looking for. A sub is for helping a mix engineer identify the low end in a mix so he/she is not second guessing what they are hearing. The reason being, nearfield monitors do not go down low enough to really paint a picture of our mixes. Regardless of what they say on their stat sheets, the fact remains that you will just about always second guess what you are hearing unless you have a sub.

That said, you are looking for thump, punch and warmth. Those elements are NOT the elements you would be getting from a sub nor do you need those things from a sub. In the real world as well as if you played live and had a soundman mix you, 9 times out of 10 he's going to high pass 80-100 Hz out of the guitar sound. You do not need loads of low end down there as that is bass guitar territory.

(Any of you reading this that are struggling with your recorded guitar tones, this is probably the reason...so read this and try what I'm saying, it will make a world of difference, trust me!)

Punch has nothing to do with bass. Warmth has nothing to do with bass. Thump, well, that could be a bass element but really it's more in how a tone is delivered as well as the amp of choice. Like, you probably won't get a whole lot of "thump" out of a Fender guitar amp. But, you sure will get it out of a Mesa Dual Rectum Fryer. The reason? One is geared for a neutral sound, the other, more rock/metal where you need that type of delivery. None of it has to do with the sub-low end you would get out of a physical sub, trust me on this. It may give you the idea that you are getting good stuff, but anything that low that is resonating is just not in the guitar frequency range.

Guitars fit in a mix when the bad stuff is removed from them. Sub low rumbles (as well as too much gain) are the biggest culprits of getting good recorded guitar tones. Those of you struggling with recorded tones, try high passing to where that nice low end that you like is gone....then add it back in a little at a time. Over time, you'll find just the right amount and you'll notice you'll be able to make your rhythm guitars louder in the mix.

The main reason for this is because we as guitarists are looking for that ultimate tone. When we find it, we wonder why it doesn't work in a mix. What I call "an all alone tone" which is a tone that sounds great all by itself, will fail miserably all the time in a mix. You have to tweak the tones for the material you are mixing or you will struggle every time. With bass in your guitar tone, you will fight like mad to make it work....and if you do, chances are your bass guitar will sound like ass.

So, if you guys are having problems in your STUDIO identifying bass sounds.....a sub will help you. Treated rooms are a plus.....monitors eq'd for flat are even more important than room correction. If your monitors are not adjusted, you can treat the room all day and lose big time. Correct the monitors and you are will be able to mix with good results even in a crappy room. I've ended up in some of the worst rooms imaginable over the years and delivered the goods every time as long as my monitors were eq'd for flat response. IK Multimedia's ARC is a blessing for stuff like that and I use it every place I mix in as well as both of my studio's.

If you guys are looking for a warm, punchy, thumpy tone, don't expect this out of a sub. Create a tone that has all the right stuff in it before you buy a sub. The more bass you add to your environment, the more of a nightmare you can have. Remember, if you hear low end hitting you in your stomach up to your throat, you are probably using too much low end. If you're a hobby guy....load up as much low end as you want and have fun. If you are a serious player/up and coming engineer, high pass that low end until the "whooomm" inside the tone is gone. You may have to high pass all the way up to 180 Hz depending on the tone. As soon as you remove the blanket of bass mud, your tone will shine in the mix as well as through your amp in a live situation. The last thing you want to do is compete with the bass guitar.....as mighty as we are with our loud amps....you'll lose to the bass every time...so stay out of his way! :)

Good luck!

-Danny

AZG: Let me give you some advice as a studio engineer that may be of use to you.

Firstly, you should NOT get a sub for the reasons you are looking for. A sub is for helping a mix engineer identify the low end in a mix so he/she is not second guessing what they are hearing. The reason being, nearfield monitors do not go down low enough to really paint a picture of our mixes. Regardless of what they say on their stat sheets, the fact remains that you will just about always second guess what you are hearing unless you have a sub.

That said, you are looking for thump, punch and warmth. Those elements are NOT the elements you would be getting from a sub nor do you need those things from a sub. In the real world as well as if you played live and had a soundman mix you, 9 times out of 10 he's going to high pass 80-100 Hz out of the guitar sound. You do not need loads of low end down there as that is bass guitar territory.

(Any of you reading this that are struggling with your recorded guitar tones, this is probably the reason...so read this and try what I'm saying, it will make a world of difference, trust me!)

Punch has nothing to do with bass. Warmth has nothing to do with bass. Thump, well, that could be a bass element but really it's more in how a tone is delivered as well as the amp of choice. Like, you probably won't get a whole lot of "thump" out of a Fender guitar amp. But, you sure will get it out of a Mesa Dual Rectum Fryer. The reason? One is geared for a neutral sound, the other, more rock/metal where you need that type of delivery. None of it has to do with the sub-low end you would get out of a physical sub, trust me on this. It may give you the idea that you are getting good stuff, but anything that low that is resonating is just not in the guitar frequency range.

Guitars fit in a mix when the bad stuff is removed from them. Sub low rumbles (as well as too much gain) are the biggest culprits of getting good recorded guitar tones. Those of you struggling with recorded tones, try high passing to where that nice low end that you like is gone....then add it back in a little at a time. Over time, you'll find just the right amount and you'll notice you'll be able to make your rhythm guitars louder in the mix.

The main reason for this is because we as guitarists are looking for that ultimate tone. When we find it, we wonder why it doesn't work in a mix. What I call "an all alone tone" which is a tone that sounds great all by itself, will fail miserably all the time in a mix. You have to tweak the tones for the material you are mixing or you will struggle every time. With bass in your guitar tone, you will fight like mad to make it work....and if you do, chances are your bass guitar will sound like ass.

So, if you guys are having problems in your STUDIO identifying bass sounds.....a sub will help you. Treated rooms are a plus.....monitors eq'd for flat are even more important than room correction. If your monitors are not adjusted, you can treat the room all day and lose big time. Correct the monitors and you are will be able to mix with good results even in a crappy room. I've ended up in some of the worst rooms imaginable over the years and delivered the goods every time as long as my monitors were eq'd for flat response. IK Multimedia's ARC is a blessing for stuff like that and I use it every place I mix in as well as both of my studio's.

If you guys are looking for a warm, punchy, thumpy tone, don't expect this out of a sub. Create a tone that has all the right stuff in it before you buy a sub. The more bass you add to your environment, the more of a nightmare you can have. Remember, if you hear low end hitting you in your stomach up to your throat, you are probably using too much low end. If you're a hobby guy....load up as much low end as you want and have fun. If you are a serious player/up and coming engineer, high pass that low end until the "whooomm" inside the tone is gone. You may have to high pass all the way up to 180 Hz depending on the tone. As soon as you remove the blanket of bass mud, your tone will shine in the mix as well as through your amp in a live situation. The last thing you want to do is compete with the bass guitar.....as mighty as we are with our loud amps....you'll lose to the bass every time...so stay out of his way! :)

Good luck!

-Danny

Danny,

Thanks for the incredibly informative response! I play these days just for fun, whether at home or in a band. While at home practicing or playing for fun I guess I'm just looking to bring my home studio sound closer to my small tube amp or CLR sound, but at lower volumes and in stereo. Will a sub help in this area? While recording or playing with a band I will definitely pay close attention to your suggestions.

I'm guessing based on your response you would suggest buying IK Multimedia ARC before replacing my current monitors (KRK Rokit 8 G2's) or buying a sub?

Thanks again!
David.

Danny,

Thanks for the incredibly informative response! I play these days just for fun, whether at home or in a band. While at home practicing or playing for fun I guess I'm just looking to bring my home studio sound closer to my small tube amp or CLR sound, but at lower volumes and in stereo. Will a sub help in this area? While recording or playing with a band I will definitely pay close attention to your suggestions.

I'm guessing based on your response you would suggest buying IK Multimedia ARC before replacing my current monitors (KRK Rokit 8 G2's) or buying a sub?

Thanks again!
David.

Hi David,

You're very welcome. Personally, I'd only get the sub if you are having problems telling how much bass you are getting in your mix. I have the early version Rokit 8's (the huge ones...first ones they made...they sound killer which is why I kept them) and my tones sound incredibly through them with 0 room correction without the sub. I do have the KRK 10 which totally improves my mixes for bass response.....but it really doesn't give me anything special for my guitar tones. I have quite a few sets of monitors here....Adam A-7's, Yamaha NS-10's, Rokit 8's and 5's.....all have subs through a monitor rig that allows me to just press a button and listen to a different set of monitors.

My reason for mentioning that....the subs don't make a difference that makes me go "wow!" other than when I mix. I'm just trying to save you some money man. Honest, if it made a huge difference (which it will...I just don't think it will be the difference you are hoping for) I'd tell you to go buy a sub. If your issue was mix/engineer related, my only words to you other than monitor correction with ARC or something, would be "buy the KRK 10!"

Don't you have bass response on the back of your Rokit's or some sort of frequency control or cross-over? The only issue there is, it will bring more bass into everything if you add it in. As for ARC, it's going to set your monitors for a flat response. So that means...if right now your monitors are pushing out too much bass, ARC is going to analyze and remove the excess bass. If you are bass light, it will add more bass in. If you have too much/too little mids or highs, it will compensate.

For example, this is what my Adam A7'smonitors looked like using ARC 1 and ARC 2:

ARC 1&2.jpg

The orange line is what I had, the white line is what it corrected. I was loaded with bass....so when I mixed, I would lower the bass in my mixed thinking I had too much. This in reality, made me mix bass light. So when I took stuff out to my vehicles or played my stuff in other places, it sounded thin and bass light. So when I started using ARC, I immediately noticed I could add more bass because there wasn't that big bass boost that was there from the start without ARC. For mixing, this is a blessing. For a guy playing for fun like yourself, ARC will flatten your monitors but it won't give you what you want the way you explained it.

The thing to keep in mind...if you're using a 12 inch speaker in your tube rig....8's don't do much justice. Like, you'll probably never hear what you hear through your amp through ANY studio monitors. It will always sound different. Now that said, you can get close if you use the right mic technique or have some way of going direct. Like my rig....sounds different in the studio than it does live UNLESS I mic my cab. Meaning, if I take the XLR outs out of my Fractal and go right into my Midas console using my live sound, it will not sound like I want it to.

If I run my AxeFx through my cab and mic it, bang...it's spot on. Now, if I'm going to use the XLR outs from my AxeFx, I have to tweak my tone and save a "studio tone" because it just doesn't sound the same as my cab through my monitors no matter what monitors I run.

In closing, you're probably getting a nice break up with warmth and punch that your Rokits aren't quite capturing. Or...you may have to do a little work to your studio sound to make it hit harder the way you want it to. What I would suggest is to save the money on the sub....and try your best to record your amp that you love while trying to get is as close as possible by mic'ing it up. A Shure SM-57 or a 421 (or both at the same time) can usually nail what you hear. If you can get it super close, feed the wave file into your AxeFx and tone match yourself. I've done this for all my live and studio sounds and honestly can't tell a difference now other than when Cliff changes the pre-amp for an update! LOL! :) (oh how I wish he would revisit what the hell he had going on in 17.4 compared to now)

So that's what I would suggest. Or....maybe let someone check out one of your presets in your Axe to where they can tell you if maybe it's just not a healthy sound. I know no one likes to hear that...but you never know. Sometimes we may be too close to our tone to hear the obvious, ya know? I can kill all my subs and still feel my sound the way it should be. Try some of the stuff above and see how you fair.

At the end of the day, if you can afford a sub and just want to have more low end thrust....go for it. I sincerely do not think it will be what you are looking for, but ya never know. I can't hear the tone you are hoping for in your head.....and the sub just very well may be the missing piece of the puzzle. :)

-Danny

Back
Top Bottom