Is it safe to put the Axe-Fx II in a rolling rack?

GotMetalBoy

Power User
I found a used SKB 4 space Roto rolling rack for a good price and wondering if it's safe to put the Axe-Fx II in it?

I'll be super careful and not go fast over any bumps or side walk cracks and won't drag it up or down steps. I just want to make sure I'm not going to cause something to become loose or damage my Axe-Fx II.

I found a used SKB 4 space Roto rolling rack for a good price and wondering if it's safe to put the Axe-Fx II in it?

I'll be super careful and not go fast over any bumps or side walk cracks and won't drag it up or down steps. I just want to make sure I'm not going to cause something to become loose or damage my Axe-Fx II.

I've had my AxeFX II XL in an SKB rolling 6 space rack and an SKB rolling 4 space rack since I've owned it (coming up on 2 years) and I haven't had any issues. In the 6 space rack, it was living with a power conditioner, a wireless unit, and a ridiculously heavy power amp. In the 4 space rack, it's just living with the power conditioner and rackmount wireless.

I'm not exactly gentle with my gear either. I bump into things a lot because I'm clumsy, and it gets beat up in my trailer going over bumpy roads. No issues. If you really want to be extra safe, maybe just unplug any cables from the Axe before transporting it. I have a bunch of cables plugged in all the time and have had zero issues, but theoretically, that's the safer solution.

As long as the rack rails aren't stripped out where the screws go, you shouldn't have an issues. If it's an older SKB case, it might use clip-on nuts instead of threading screws directly into the rails, which is even more secure. Either way, those SKB cases are designed to carry rack gear that's much heavier than the AxeFX. I wouldn't worry

I've had my AxeFX II XL in an SKB rolling 6 space rack and an SKB rolling 4 space rack since I've owned it (coming up on 2 years) and I haven't had any issues. In the 6 space rack, it was living with a power conditioner, a wireless unit, and a ridiculously heavy power amp. In the 4 space rack, it's just living with the power conditioner and rackmount wireless.

I'm not exactly gentle with my gear either. I bump into things a lot because I'm clumsy, and it gets beat up in my trailer going over bumpy roads. No issues. If you really want to be extra safe, maybe just unplug any cables from the Axe before transporting it. I have a bunch of cables plugged in all the time and have had zero issues, but theoretically, that's the safer solution.

As long as the rack rails aren't stripped out where the screws go, you shouldn't have an issues. If it's an older SKB case, it might use clip-on nuts instead of threading screws directly into the rails, which is even more secure. Either way, those SKB cases are designed to carry rack gear that's much heavier than the AxeFX. I wouldn't worry

Thanks for the reply! I'm picking up the rack tonight. I'm only going to have my Axe-Fx II and Furman PL-PLUS II power conditioner in it. I wanted to try and make my rig as light weight as possible, so I was going to get a 2 space rack and a non-rack Furman AC-215A power conditioner but I found the rolling rack for such a good price I can't pass it up.

Y'know... that particular rack weighs 17lbs empty. If all you're putting in it is the AxeFx and a Furman thingy, I doubt it's going to be much more than 25lbs. loaded. You may find you don't use the wheels at all anyway, as that would be pretty easy to carry even for a gimpy old fart like me.

I just got surprised recently when I went to a 6 space Gator G-Tour case. Damned thing weighs 38lbs empty, then I put the Axe, a Carver power thingy, a Lexicon M300, and a Line 6 G90 in it. I haven't weighed it, but it feels like about 8,319lbs. Now, that I could stand some wheels on.

Y'know... that particular rack weighs 17lbs empty. If all you're putting in it is the AxeFx and a Furman thingy, I doubt it's going to be much more than 25lbs. loaded. You may find you don't use the wheels at all anyway, as that would be pretty easy to carry even for a gimpy old fart like me.

I just got surprised recently when I went to a 6 space Gator G-Tour case. Damned thing weighs 38lbs empty, then I put the Axe, a Carver power thingy, a Lexicon M300, and a Line 6 G90 in it. I haven't weighed it, but it feels like about 8,319lbs. Now, that I could stand some wheels on.

I bought the older model 1SKB-RLX4 so it's only 12 lbs. The whole rack weighs about 40 lbs but I also carry my guitar and LF+ MIDI Foot Controller and sometimes my Yamaha DXR12. I'm short so it's hard to carry a rack bc it hits me in my shin.

The one thing that concerns me about this rack is that it's very flimsy so I can feel the top and bottom flex and touch my gear inside. I wouldn't feel safe stacking another rack on top of it.

That looks like just the thing. I like the big wheels. The small wheels of most cases with integrated wheels can get hung up an just about anything, don't negotiate stairs well, and make for a rough ride. Plus, as you point out, it can handle more than just the rack case. Sometimes it's not the weight of things that aggravates, it's the multiple trips.

That looks like just the thing. I like the big wheels. The small wheels of most cases with integrated wheels can get hung up an just about anything, don't negotiate stairs well, and make for a rough ride. Plus, as you point out, it can handle more than just the rack case. Sometimes it's not the weight of things that aggravates, it's the multiple trips.

It works great going up stairs and over big curbs and on grass / dirt.

Like you say, those small wheels are useless on anything but smooth flat hard terrain.

They make other models too with less weight capacity. I got the heavy duty model because I use it around the house too to move heavy furniture etc.

I nicked the idea from the FedEx delivery. They use the same model for delivery to my route.

Well, I couldn't justify the expense of the model you bought, but I also don't need the capacity of that one. I'm not going to be moving furniture or anything with it, so I picked this unit. Has big wheels, carries 150 pounds, only weighs 7 pounds itself, and folds up small. For $27, what's not to love?

Well, I couldn't justify the expense of the model you bought, but I also don't need the capacity of that one. I'm not going to be moving furniture or anything with it, so I picked this unit. Has big wheels, carries 150 pounds, only weighs 7 pounds itself, and folds up small. For $27, what's not to love?
I have one like this. Weighs almost nothing. It's so handy, and the foldability is marvelous. That was a big selling point. I had to be able to squeeze it into the nooks and crannies of a fully loaded vehicle.

Originally I was going to make a dolly like our bassist did for his cabs, but even that would have taken up too much space in the vehicle.

The injected molded cases like gator or skb will curb weight to an extent. I teeter between having in a nice shock rack to the smallest rack possible. when I have my stuff in the gator case I always feel like it's waiting to get crunched by something. The shock rack is on castors but it's fun getting up out of the basement ;) pros and cons to everything. I think the rolling wheels will be fine, just don't beat the crap out of it.

I have one like this. Weighs almost nothing. It's so handy, and the foldability is marvelous. That was a big selling point. I had to be able to squeeze it into the nooks and crannies of a fully loaded vehicle.

Originally I was going to make a dolly like our bassist did for his cabs, but even that would have taken up too much space in the vehicle.

The large one folds really flat too, but it is a little weighty. Still easily fits in the boot along with CLR, guitar, mic stand and largish backpack.

I used to use a dolly but one of the wheels broke off and it didn't fit in my new car. I also use 2 Gator rolling bags GPA-712SM for my Yamaha DXR12 cabs.

I used to drive a Black 2012 Kia Soul Base model but I traded it in and for $100 less a month I leased this for $154/month...

2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus jpg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom