Is it possible to use xlr and 1/4 FX loop connections simultaneously?

AndrewKirkland

Inspired
If I had two xlrs in the return of the fx loop stereo, and then also had two quarter inch cables plugged into the return what would happen? Or if I had all four xlrs in the send/returns with four 1/4 inch cables would things work when only using four total in any combination of two sends and two returns? Or would the connection be cancelled out? I have four quarter inches for my quadraverb in stereo. And then want to have four xlrs in for my lexicon PCM 81. The main purpose for this question is me being lazy and not wanting to have to plug in xlrs everytime and also being able to leave my quarter inch cables in, without using two of them. There is a bad 1/4 output jack on the lexicon that requires alot of effort to put the cable Into. I switch racks frequently and only use one at a time usually. So would have two xlrs and two quarter inch cables in the return section invadliate each other? I know I can't use all cables at once, but can I use one or the other? Sorry for a long question. I didn't have time to test it so I am unsure what would happen or if it is a bad idea.

I totally spaced out. I am definitely am wrong, I don't know why I thought there were xlr outs and ins for the loop. It'd be cool if there were! Looks like I just need to get my lexicon pcm81 repaired/looked it. It has another weird issue where it peaks making an awful noise whenever turning the input level but then stops as soon as you stop moving it.

No worries.

About getting your Lexicon repaired: if you have enough spare CPU in your Axe, you might find that you can improve on what the PCM81 can do. ;)

I know the axe fx can "improve the sound", but personally I like the quirky character of those old racks.Fortunately, my Dad's friend is a respected technician who can service anything really, so a repair wouldn't break the bank. I still have not heard anyone make a convincing replica of the PCM 70 concert hall. There is even a preset with that title and it is not close to the lexicon. The 81 and quadraverbs I use also have a character that is hard to replicate. I know people have gotten amazing ambient sounds, and I have downloaded alot of the presets shared on the forum. These sounds I get with the vintage racks are a totally different thing. The axe fx is such high quality, it is a task making it sound lo-fi. People may think I am crazy to still use old digital stuff, but eventually I will share some of the cool sounds I have gotten combining stuff in the fx loop.

You're right. The old rack gear can be quirky. For myself, since I went Fractal, I've had no urge to return to any of it.

I still have not heard anyone make a convincing replica of the PCM 70 concert hall. There is even a preset with that title and it is not close to the lexicon. The 81 and quadraverbs I use also have a character that is hard to replicate.
Those older reverbs have a grainy quality, like a handful of ball bearings thrown at the wall of a tin shed. That doesn't work for me, but different people have different tastes.

If you like the PCM70 Concert Hall, you might be interested in this:

I bought a PCM70 for comparison purposes. I'm able to replicate the famous Concert Hall reverb with these parameters:

Type: Large Hall
Time: 2.92s
Size: 60.2
Color: 6.02
Lo Cut: 20 Hz
Hi Cut: 9510 Hz
Input Diffusion: 44.9%
Diffusion Time: 42.9%
Wall Diffusion: 100%
Echo Density: 0
Pre Delay: 7.9 ms
Early Delay: 0.0%
Early Level: -16.6 dB
Reverb Level: -1.0 dB
Mod Depth: 35.8%
Mod Rate: 0.369 Hz

The sound is virtually indistinguishable to my ears. I measured the frequency response and it's almost identical.

I am definitely going to try that and compare side by side! Thanks for the tip. Is the size parameter in meters or feet with fractal? The pcm 70 hall parameter I believe is 38 meters for size. Yeah I definitely find that grainy/tinny sound to be good in just a chaotic shoegaze/noise bath scenario. The quadraverb is insanely grainy, the pcm stuff is better quality wise than alesis/yamaha stuff, but it still has a bit of that metallic sound.

Back
Top Bottom