Is it possible to use/overwrite factory IR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank.F

I am right now doing lots of experiments with self made IRs (and third party IR). My user banks are already almost full. Is there a chance to use the factory slots for user IRs? Since I dont use/like most oif factory IRs, I would like to use this space for my own IRs much more. Not only it would help me to store more of the stuff that I really use, but it would also clean up the setup from lots of cabs (1x12 etc) that I never ever use and which actually just confusing my scrolling through cabs

No. There are over 2000 user slots.

I do my own mixes. If you e.g. have only 4 CABs with single mic (6mics) in different positions. One User IR Block is already packed to the end.
Same for the 2nd User Block. So I have 8 CABS packed all together. So my slots are actually full. Now you could argue to use the computer to exchange banks frequently but why since there is plenty much of useless stuff blocking my device.The factory IRs I DONT use at all since I dont like therm 99%. So for me it would be perfect to just replace the (for me) useless factiory IRs with stuff I really like.It should not be a big deal (from software point of view) to give the users a chance to put on the device what ever they like personaly. Maybe on a new firmware version? wish....

Factory cabs are useless???
That's a first.
Why do you need 8 cabs to get a good sound?
The Axe sounds great out of the box and while the IR is a huge ingredient in getting a sound, there are so many things you can do to hone your sound.
You are over complicating things for no reason.

That's a first.
The Axe sounds great out of the box and while the IR is a huge ingredient in getting a sound, there are so many things you can do to hone your sound.
Have no fear, the young Padawan will learn soon the ways of the Axe.

That's a first.

Please re-read. You will find that they are useless for ME. If you like them - perfect, be happy! (tastes are different)

Do you only use 8 cabinets from the factory? No? So why should not I want to use more? If you go into detail with mixing IRs you will find that for each amp there are some good that are bad for another amp. Even moving the mic 1cm changes the game. So for my purposes I prefer to have lots of IRs from one cab and from one mic, to be able to mix them in the way I like. On the orther hand I never need 1x12 or 2x10 etc., so actually almost the whole factory bank one e.g. is never touched - so FOR ME it would be of course a big plus to be able to use them for MY IRs instead of just having them blocking slots which would make life for me easier, no? And I am not asking Cliff to delete them, I just would like to be able to delete them by myself if I dont use them to gain some extra space on the Axe.

That's a first.

This is one of those responses i don’t understand. Did you answer any of the questions he is asking?

Yes, maybe he is over complicating or maybe he is a seasoned producer who has much better ears and knows exactly what he wants.

I do my own mixes. If you e.g. have only 4 CABs with single mic (6mics) in different positions. One User IR Block is already packed to the end.
Same for the 2nd User Block. So I have 8 CABS packed all together. So my slots are actually full. Now you could argue to use the computer to exchange banks frequently but why since there is plenty much of useless stuff blocking my device.The factory IRs I DONT use at all since I dont like therm 99%. So for me it would be perfect to just replace the (for me) useless factiory IRs with stuff I really like.It should not be a big deal (from software point of view) to give the users a chance to put on the device what ever they like personaly. Maybe on a new firmware version? wish....
You might find Cab-Lab interesting. You can premix in Cab-Lab and just save the results to the hardware.

If I wanted to mix 8 different IR’s I’d sure rather do it in Cab Lab than in the box. Way easier and then you can simply save the result as a new mixed IR.

I think mixing more than a couple quickly reaches a point of diminishing returns but that is kind of beside the point.

Same for the 2nd User Block. So I have 8 CABS packed all together. So my slots are actually full.
I’m not questioning the need for so many, but don’t understand what you’re saying here. 8 cabs packed together? What does that mean? That means over 2000 IRs are loaded and used?

Theoretically possible and we have an internal utility but we do not allow the user to do it.
I don´t get the reason for this to be honest. Why not giving us(those users who would want to be able) the chace to decide ourselfs if we would like to have a bunch of factory presets which we dont use, or better using the space for stuff that we can use...? I mean it would be not like diging into something deep inside the fractal software, no......the factory presets I dont use too, but here I (fortunately) can save and delete and do whatever I want. Same would be perfect....

I’m not questioning the need for so many, but don’t understand what you’re saying here. 8 cabs packed together? What does that mean? That means over 2000 IRs are loaded and used?

I dont use them at once. I actually use only few 4x12 Cabinets for my music (mesa, diezel, etc). I have good Irs of all those, shot with lots of different mics and at different positions. So I can fit arrount 4 in one user IR bank. If I create a new preset I choose the fitting CAB out of those fav. CABS and then I search for 2,3 or 4 fitting IRs out of the IR set. So I have my 8 full cabs always with me in the Axe III. One more factory bank, which I could access would open me a bunch of 4 more! fav. cabs. 2 factory banks would even double the capacity to 16. I think this is a BIG difference, taking into account that whithout access to overweite the factory IRs, I have 2 banks of absolutely dead and never used stuff...

I think it would be small step for Cliff, but would give (at least me, and those other guys spening lots of money on third party IRs) just a way to place them on their beloved device, and beeing able to access them fast and directly.

I get having more than 2000 IRs, just not the need to access them all at a given time on the device. If one is experimenting with IRs, are they really going to be using the actual device or connected to Axe-Edit? Of course some will say the device simply to avoid the obvious solution of using the Block Library or other computer storage solution.

As far as Fractal not giving users the ability to store more IRs or overwrite the factory ones, what would determine the total number of slots? Would the additional 2000 factory slots be sufficient? No matter what the capacity is, there will always be someone "needing" more.

No matter what the capacity is, there will always be someone "needing" more.

did you have the II before the III....why? wanted "more"?......

Hey it´s not I am asking for something that will cut or kill anything for those who love the factory IRs - be happy with them if you like them! I just would wish for a posibiltity to use the storage space for something usefull for all those others who dont like/use them - not more.
It would be a big plus for those who wnat and not a single minus for all others....

Again not arguing at all, but I don’t understand how 2000+ IRs = only “4 cabs.”

How often are you sifting through the thousands of IRs?

Again not arguing at all, but I don’t understand how 2000+ IRs = only “4 cabs.”

How often are you sifting through the thousands of IRs?
e.g. take one of those third party IR collections. One CAB, 4 different speakers, each miced with 7 different mics in 10 distances: 4x7x10=280 IRs. it depends lots on the amp if a certain CAB/Speaker/Mic/Distance sounds good or crappy. So I often sit hours with studio headphones and mix 4 together to a (for me) perfect match. On the other side I dont like those factory IRs (most of them). For me they are just wasted space, so I dont see the sense for discussing if or if not the 2000 user IRs should be enough for me - they are not and there is lots of (for my purpose) wasted storage. Again , this would not harm or influence any other person who dont wanna use the possibility, no ? So what would be the problem to open this slots for free usage? Its not I am asking something for the sacrifice of something else...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom