Is it possible to to assign different EQ to FOH and backline?

Global EQ 1 and 2. Output 1 to FOH and Output 2 to backline. Eq as needed. "FX" Loop block is used for this.

Yes, assuming you're using both Out 1 & 2 to feed the backline and FOH, there are separate Output EQs for Out 1 & Out 2.

In Axe Edit click on output at the far right of the grid and then the Setup tab (I think)

You can also access these in the global menu on the unit, but I can't remember the buttons to press to get to it - many more knowledgable on here will know and will undoubtedly chip in!

What do you mean by Out 1 & Out 2? I'm using the main output section so L/R XLRs for FOH and L/R 1/4 outputs for backline.

Yes, assuming you're using both Out 1 & 2 to feed the backline and FOH, there are separate Output EQs for Out 1 & Out 2.

In Axe Edit click on output at the far right of the grid and then the Setup tab (I think)

You can also access these in the global menu on the unit, but I can't remember the buttons to press to get to it - many more knowledgable on here will know and will undoubtedly chip in!

What do you mean by Out 1 & Out 2? I'm using the main output section so L/R XLRs for FOH and L/R 1/4 outputs for backline.
The AX8 has 2 separate outputs with their own level controls and global EQs. There is no need for an FX Loop block in the grid for this option. You will have to set output 2 to "Echo output 1" in the I/O menu, in the Audio tab.

Then you will have to identical outputs. One for FOH and one for backline. Each with their own level control on the front panel, and their own global EQ.

If you're using both XLRs and the 1/4 from Out 1 then no I don't think you can have 2 EQs, but I believe you can do it by using Out1 for FOH and Out 2 for Backline and adjusting the output EQ for each

I think this is what you need - From page 13 & 84 of the AX8 manual:

OUT 2 [FX SEND] L+R – (Two 1/4" Humbuster™ Jacks)

Connect to the input(s) of outboard equipment when using the FX Loop block (p. 61). This block can also be used to turn OUT 2 into a utility output so you can send signal with and without cabinet simulation at the same time. See “Setup: Power Amp & Guitar Speakers” on p. 16 for more information on this type of setup. If the FX Block is not used, a special system parameter called OUT 2 (FX SEND) ECHO can be used to specify the source for OUT 2. Applications include recording raw, dry, direct guitar for re-amping or using the OUT 1 and OUT 2 level knobs for independent front-of-house and onstage monitor levels. See OUT 2 FX SEND ECHO under “I/O: Audio Page” on p. 84

I'm still not understanding. The MainOutput section has 2 XLR and 2 1/4. Can these be configured as output 1 and output 2 or am I way off base here. Is there a section in the manual I should refer to? The manual is a bit confusing on this and many of the articles on google searching are no longer available.

The AX8 has 2 separate outputs with their own level controls and global EQs. There is no need for an FX Loop block in the grid for this option. You will have to set output 2 to "Echo output 1" in the I/O menu, in the Audio tab.

Then you will have to identical outputs. One for FOH and one for backline. Each with their own level control on the front panel, and their own global EQ.

As you look at the back of the unit Output 2 are the 2 1/4 jacks marked:
OUT 2
(FX SEND)

They are next to the 1/4 jacks I think you're trying to use (which are Out 1 - just an alternative to the XLR jacks)

nb - if your backline is frfr, then just set out 2 to echo out 1. no need to use the fxl block. use the global eq for each output, as others have said

^ what he said. When you look at the back of the unit you can see Out 2 1/4” jacks just to the right of the Out 1 XLR connections.
97975CA0-1BC6-43FF-8293-7BC1F5CFC4D6.jpeg

Send Out 1 to FOH and send Out 2 (FX Send) to your monitors on stage. You can then use Global EQ Out 1 and 2 to tailor the sound of both and have volume control of both as well.

@jzucker Is your 'Back-line' FRFR (with Cab sims) or a standard guitar cab (without Cab sims)?

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I was looking at this picture (i'm not next to my unit currently) and there is no output 2. Maybe it's an old picture? lol

fa9246ad8c325be243e938806c0ad2ff.jpg

My backline is a pair of alto TS210A but the tone I get out of it is considerably less bright and with more bottom end than what I have been getting from FOH.

Is your 'Back-line' FRFR (with Cab sims) or a standard guitar cab (without Cab sims)?

Thanks guys, I was looking at this picture (i'm not next to my unit currently) and there is no output 2. Maybe it's an old picture? lol

fa9246ad8c325be243e938806c0ad2ff.jpg
that's an old picture. you can see it's not even connected to anything, as the screws aren't in and the ground lift switch isn't even there. i'd suggest going to Fractal's website for info, rather than a gear store based in india. the Fractal AX8 page has the correct images: https://www.fractalaudio.com/ax8-amp-modeler-multi-effects/

ax8-back.jpg

"FX Send" is Output 2, same as it was on the Axe-Fx II.

It's funny, I just noticed that the 'Rear Panel' I/O diagram in the manual is actually wrong.
@Admin M@

Last edited:
If it's something that you want to do on a per-preset basis, then you will need to use and FX Loop block in your grid with an EQ block just in front of it in each of your presets. Then you can make adjustments to that EQ block for each preset and that EQ will only affect the backline.

Back
Top Bottom